Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 9:24:34 PM EDT
Can I build an Ak-74 with the commonly sold receiver flat??  How loose will the magazine be??  How much would I have to build up the ejector??  Would it be possible, or just not feasable??
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey I havent built one yet but have plans to in the future. From what I know Tapco flats will work just fine. On the the ejector its already long for a 47 so you should have plenty of meat to work with a 74. The mag well is also small for a 47 mag and needs to be opened so again there should be plenty for a 74 mag to work. If you are comfortable with bending, welding and riviting/screwing I dont see it being a problem. Good luck and make sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I built a bulgarian '74 kit on a TAPCO flat and the mag fit is absolutely perfect.  just the ever so tiny amount of lateral movement you need for easy mag changes
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
This was my exact question because i just watched the AGI "how to build an AK" dvd and I got a little upset because they do not cover the differences in building a 74.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
the only differences between the 7.62 and the 5.45 is the opening size of the mag well and the length of the ejector..
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That is correct.
-Shadow-
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
and don't forget that the rear tang/block/trunnion is not the same pattern as the standard 47..  so you will either have to weld over the old holes and redrill or use a 47 rear tang/block/trunnion..
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up an AK74 kit from Gunthings.com

The rear trunnion and receiver section that I received with my kit seems to be from an AK47.

The finish on this assembly doesn't match the rest of the kit and the TAPCO flat hole allignment is perfect at the rear trunnion.

Don't know if they send all of their kits like this on purpose, but I worked to my advantage in this case.

Also, the length of the ejector that came with my TAPCO flat matches perfectly with the AK74 specs I have read.

SK
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The ejector is spec'd for the 74..  you should only have to trim if for a 7.62..  and that is cool if your retailer included the 47 trunnion as it is not necessarily a cheap part to replace..  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top