Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 8:35:19 PM EDT
I love the look of the AK-74S rifle with the triangle folding stock and the 74 style brake.  I am really thinking about adding one to my collection, BUT I have simplified my collection down to rifles that feed from AR-15 mags or AK-47 mags.  Of course that means that my calibers are also limited to 5.56NATO and 7.62X39.  I just don't want to have to get into all the logistics to support a new weapon platform.  

So, I know I've seen a 7.62X39 rifle with a triangle folding stock, but I don't know who made it, or if it is still currently being produced or just a one-time custom job.  

I want the whole package: threaded barrel for 22mm (right?), 74 style brake, bayonet lug for 74 style bayonet, folding triangle stock, etc...  

The ONLY difference between an AK-74S and the rifle I want is that it will feed from AK-47 mags in 7.62.  

So, where do I look?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Start looking on the EE for parts, also try K-var they have most of the parts you'd want. You could get a rommy kit as a doner, remove both the gas block and the front sight, install a 90 degree gasblock and the 74 front sight w/ 22mm threads. Put on a triangle folder and your good to go. First off you need the parts then either you build it youself or have someone do it for you. I've thought about the same project, I just have too many other to work on first. McM
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Or.......... You can get one of these from Here

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Or.......... You can get one of these from Here

www.arsenalinc.com/sam7sf/sam7sf550x350.jpg

The triangle folder is the most important part, and since the Arsenal doesn't have one, it's a no-go.  I also don't like milled receivers.  Stamped works just as well, and weighs a lot less.

I was really hoping someone already made something like this, as I don't like building from parts (too many chances to overlook details and end up with a bunch of expensive parts that don't go together.)

Hopefully someone's seen something like this already made...  Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah the infamous Khyber Pass Special

They were never made with the 90 degree gas block.  In fact they are AKM's modified with triangular folders from AKS-74 rifles by the Uzbek Military and Pashtun gunsmiths (the only other guys we know of that like to pimp their AK's as much as us Americans).

Several Contacts for a production example:

Usama Bin Laden
Last seen, Tora Bora, Afghanistan
Ask him if he remembers which cave he left his in, and then kill him

R. Dohstum
Occupation: Uzbek Warlord, bringer of death, and all around nice guy
He probably knows somebody in the Uzbek military, though they’d most likely want to kill him

A. Akbar's Gun and Smoke shop, A. Akbar; proprietor
NWFP Pakistan, District Kohat
Village, Dara Adam Khel
A good bet, good luck getting it through customs

Or alternately you can do what I’m doing right now for a Khyber Pass Special.  Get a nice Polish UF kit, triangular folder w/trunion, American FCG, piston, slant break, and Receiver.  Then you find someone to build it and refinish it (if you want).  I like to use local guys since I’m in AZ.  I’ve used ARS and AZEX in the past, but I’ve heard good things about Piece of History Firearms and Marshall Arms also.  If you wanted the 90 degree gasblock and the 22mm FSB, you could get those from K-var.  The brakes themselves are mfg in the US by AK-USA and Krebs Custom.

BTW romanian kits are good too, but you can't beat polish steel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ah the infamous Khyber Pass Special

They were never made with the 90 degree gas block.  In fact they are AKM's modified with triangular folders from AKS-74 rifles by the Uzbek Military and Pashtun gunsmiths (the only other guys we know of that like to pimp their AK's as much as us Americans).

Several Contacts for a production example:

Usama Bin Laden
Last seen, Tora Bora, Afghanistan
Ask him if he remembers which cave he left his in, and then kill him

R. Dohstum
Occupation: Uzbek Warlord, bringer of death, and all around nice guy
He probably knows somebody in the Uzbek military, though they’d most likely want to kill him

A. Akbar's Gun and Smoke shop, A. Akbar; proprietor
NWFP Pakistan, District Kohat
Village, Dara Adam Khel
A good bet, good luck getting it through customs

Or alternately you can do what I’m doing right now for a Khyber Pass Special.  Get a nice Polish UF kit, triangular folder w/trunion, American FCG, piston, slant break, and Receiver.  Then you find someone to build it and refinish it (if you want).  I like to use local guys since I’m in AZ.  I’ve used ARS and AZEX in the past, but I’ve heard good things about Piece of History Firearms and Marshall Arms also.  If you wanted the 90 degree gasblock and the 22mm FSB, you could get those from K-var.  The brakes themselves are mfg in the US by AK-USA and Krebs Custom.

BTW romanian kits are good too, but you can't beat polish steel.

Interesting, and entertaining!  So it's back to 'smithing it, I see...  Hmmm...

I found AK-USA, home of the AK-103, who converts Saigas to some seriously good-looking rifles.  They had one that was perfect, sans the triangle folder.  Since that's the most important piece, crap!  

I swear I saw one at a fun show once, and SHOULD have bought it!  I think I was upset it didn't have a bayo lug, but now I find out the lug on a 74 is on the FSB.  Doh!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd bet that if you emailed AK-USA, they'd build you whatever you want within legal and financial limits.  Really any good ak smith should be able to do this in a build, you'd just have to pony up for the parts and the build.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Ohio rapid fire has AK74 side folding stock assemblies, but they are pricey, but everything is going up in price now.  If you are going to buy a sidefolder kit from them you might as well go for the entire mismatched kit.  It is only like $45 more.  Then you would have pleantly of parts to mess around with.  

rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=9965934.5781*937Od1&product=AK_Parts&cart_id=9965934.5781*hc7PE6
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ohio rapid fire has AK74 side folding stock assemblies, but they are pricey, but everything is going up in price now.  If you are going to buy a sidefolder kit from them you might as well go for the entire mismatched kit.  It is only like $45 more.  Then you would have pleantly of parts to mess around with.  

rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=9965934.5781*937Od1&product=AK_Parts&cart_id=9965934.5781*hc7PE6

I don't know if the 74 gas block will fit on a 47 barrel, or if the actual 74 brake will work on a 47 (bore diameter.)

Questions like these make me just want to find one that has already been built.  I think the AK-103 from AK-USA might be just the ticket.  I'll have to find out if they can procure a side-folder, or if it will have to be provided.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I built an AK just like you are talking about...

Then I chopped the barrell and converted it to an AK 104

You can not use an AK74 break on an AK47..AKM  different bullet diameters.

I built the rifle you describe from a Romy kit and spare parts..

Side folders are getting up there...As said before, you would be better off buying a mismatched kit from ORF and a Romy ...you would then need a 74 style break fo rthe 7.62 cal.

Bayo lug, I havent seen any lugs on the US repros of the 74 break in 7.62 cal........not saying they aren't out there, but I haven't seen them.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=336093

Nice, but too bad he doesn't want to ship...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Bayo lug, I havent seen any lugs on the US repros of the 74 break in 7.62 cal........not saying they aren't out there, but I haven't seen them.

Good luck

I'm glad you have'nt seen them, because the lug is not on the break. It's on the front sight base, and gas block..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=336093

Nice, but too bad he doesn't want to ship...

It's too bad he took his ad down along with the picture, so I can't even see what you're talking about!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck

I'm glad you have'nt seen them, because the lug is not on the break. It's on the front sight base, and gas block..

I thought the 47s have the bayo lug on the gas block, whereas the 74s have the lug on the FSB?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]
here ya go

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck

I thought the 47s have the bayo lug on the gas block, whereas the 74s have the lug on the FSB?  

They do, but he said he has not seen a US made break with a bayo lug on it..

The 74 has the lug on the sight base, and a acessory lug on the gas block..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'd bet that if you emailed AK-USA, they'd build you whatever you want within legal and financial limits.  Really any good ak smith should be able to do this in a build, you'd just have to pony up for the parts and the build.  

If you have the cash, go to Chris Butler at AKUSA. He is expensive, but his work is second to none. Really nice guy, too......
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have the cash, go to Chris Butler at AKUSA. He is expensive, but his work is second to none. Really nice guy, too......

I don't have a lot of cash, but I did email him for a quote.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top