Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 9:48:08 AM EDT
Hey guys. I'm crossing over from the AR side and getting my feet wet over on the dark side as you call it. Since I was used to how the AR15 goes together, I figured the AK would kinda be the same. I figured I'd buy the reciever first, then decide on what type of AK I would want to make it into. I got a stamped reciever for 7.62 from ORF and ordered some parts kit from someone on gunbroker.com.

It came in today but now I have a problem. I now noticed that it just doesn't go together with a pin that I can remove at will, but rather several rivets throughout the reciever. Now my reciever doesnt have those rivets, let alone holes for them. Does anyone know where I could get this put together? Or am I SOL? Or am I possibly over looking something and I can really just put it together (please be the case).

Also just a quick question. I know that there are a bunch of varients like SAR1-3, WASRs, etc. but what would mine be considered? On the auction it says its from an actual Russian AK47 and has all the Russian markings and crap. If I am able to put this together I would like to know what it would be called. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You can do a screw build with 10/32 allen screws like I did.  I know people will start screaming that Mikhail didn't mean for them to be built that way, but if you don't have a 12 ton press, the rivet jigs and don't want to press your barrel out and back in (headspace) it works and looks great.  A little Loctite and the hardened steel screws are as strong as rivets.  

If you plan to do it yourself, I can help you along.  The only tools you'll need that you might not have is a drill press, dremel, a tap handle and a few 10/32 taps.  Tapping the hardened steel trunions for the 10 screws is the biggest bitch.  Don't forget that you'll need to comply with the parts count issue.

Here's mine:
http://home.comcast.net/~sacmaster/assets/images/9-13-04_AWB-3.JPG
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top