Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:45:15 PM EDT
Does 922 apply to rifle with magazine in or out?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
With mag in ready to shoot.

USA mag = 3 componets for 922r if you have it IN the gun.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazine body, follower and baseplate are countable parts and can be used as 922 parts.  So, if you take the mag out of the rifle the rifle has less parts.  So, what do you think the answer is?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Both.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The 922 Law DOES NOT SPECIFY CONFIGURATION - it just counts parts.

It is up to the MFG to determine what makes their gun compliant
Generally speaking , If the MFG includes a Foreign Mag with the rifle - then the rifle is considered compliant by itself.
IF they sell it with a U.S. Mag - odds are it is NOT.
YOU need to be aware of what's in the gun before you buy it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, let me see if I got this right. If I've got an AK that didn't come with a magazine, all I need are 3 US made parts? Lets say that it has 4 US parts; the hammer, trigger, disconnecter and receiver. When I decide to go shooting, I'll need a magazine. Since the AK only has 4 US parts, I'll need a magazine with at least 2 US made parts? Is this right?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I ran the wiki checklist and even with an all foreign mag I am good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Based on the 922 parts count definition the attached magazine
is "part" of the rifle.
To "complete" the rifle,  with the mag "in", make sure that
the count is 922 complaint.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, let me see if I got this right. If I've got an AK that didn't come with a magazine, all I need are 3 US made parts? Lets say that it has 4 US parts; the hammer, trigger, disconnecter and receiver. When I decide to go shooting, I'll need a magazine. Since the AK only has 4 US parts, I'll need a magazine with at least 2 US made parts? Is this right?

The first sentence is wrong because you don't know what's in the gun. The rest of it is right, but you're counting USA parts instead of IMPORTED parts. It's a technicality, but it can trip you up. On my 922 guns, I take that checklist and annotate what each countable part is - USA or imported. The imported parts must add up to no more than ten. I keep a copy of the list with each gun and change the list if I change something on the gun. Another copy goes in the gun record along with the description and picture. If it takes a certain magazine formula to be compliant, that is the magazine that is in the gun at all times and in all pictures.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first sentence is wrong because you don't know what's in the gun. The rest of it is right, but you're counting USA parts instead of IMPORTED parts. It's a technicality, but it can trip you up. On my 922 guns, I take that checklist and annotate what each countable part is - USA or imported. The imported parts must add up to no more than ten. I keep a copy of the list with each gun and change the list if I change something on the gun. Another copy goes in the gun record along with the description and picture. If it takes a certain magazine formula to be compliant, that is the magazine that is in the gun at all times and in all pictures.

Yes this is what confused me. I was counting US parts and not foreign. But still GTG on this one. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

worksheet already setup to make life easier for you.....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top