BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 1:07:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Barnaul 125g SP works very well in my SAR1. Wolf 154g SP is also worth a comparison box.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Over at the AR-15 discussion area, under ammunition, they listed the top performing loads in various calibers. The 125gr Lapua Mega spire point was listed as the top choice in 7.62x39.

The Lapua 125 gr JSP proves to offer outstanding terminal performance!
Out of a 16” barrel:
Bare Gelatin: vel=2316 f/s, pen=17.3”, RD=.62”, RL=.43”, RW=122.6 gr
Car Windshield: vel=2323 f/s, pen=14.8”, RD=.60”, RL=.40”, RW=110.6 gr

Performance is similar to the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bonded JSP bullets used in the Federal Tactical loads, with deep penetration, excellent expansion, and good weight retention. Because of the larger permanent cavity and greater bullet mass, the Lapua 125 gr JSP will offer somewhat better performance than the .223 bonded JSP’s. This load will be a good choice for LE use against car windows and should also be outstanding for hunting deer and other similar size game.

I haven't tried this ammo yet, but it seems promising. I might try it out this year on Whitetails.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I can not and will not discredit the Lapua round.  It is all it is said to be and more.  More being mostly the price.  This is a case of getting what you pay for though. I use Lapua exclusivly for hunting ammo (too bad I can't use it here in Ohio)

Honestly, I have talked with enough people who have used Russian ammo to tell you this.

Winchester 125 grain SP works very well.

The Barnaul 125 grain SP works well, but tends to under penatrate on larger deer, and if it hits bone, forget about it.

The Wolf 154 grain SP on the other hand is gaining a reputation for a short range deer killing machine.  It goes though bone well, and holds up well enough to do the job on larger deer.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top