Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 5:16:25 PM EDT
I keep seeing threads on this.  Where is the shortage?  I bought 400 rds at a local cabelas a few weeks ago and just got 1000 rds of 7.62x39 mm delivered to my door step that I ordered about 2 weeks ago.

Where is this ammo shortage everyone is talking about?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Who did you get the ammo from and how much? Most people here wont pay a whole lot of money for ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
every store in town has like no 7.62x39 rounds...they used to carry it but they have been out for weeks.....i think people mean that....alot of people still dont order rounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I hit 8 gun shops today and found only one that had 7.62x39 and they wanted $179.00 a case of 1000 rounds and $108.00 for a spam can of 640 rounds. It all depends on if a person wants to spend that type of money or wait.  I have 2560 rounds on back order at a price of $208.00 delivered at 8 cents a round.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who did you get the ammo from and how much? Most people here wont pay a whole lot of money for ammo.

The 400 rds at cabelas was 1.99 a box and the 1000 rds I had delivered was from the sportsmans guide.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Natchez had plenty
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]

The 400 rds at cabelas was 1.99 a box and the 1000 rds I had delivered was from the sportsmans guide.

Thats a good deal. I think that a lot of folks here are waiting on the spam cans to arrive. SG had a 1000 rounds for just over a $100.00. There is not alot of it in gun shops and if you do find its overpriced.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Natchez had plenty[/quote

had, maybe.  I think everybody had, a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If you buy from some sources (such as Sportsman Guide) something to consider is to place a case or two of Wolf on backorder because they won't bill your CC until the ammo ships.  They list the estimated date when you place the order but I've found they always ship much earlier.

For example, right now when you order 7.62X39 they  list it will ship on Feb. 13th.  I bet they will restock and ship in less than a month. At least that  has been my experience. You get your order number placed in line so when they  restock they'll clear up your backorder first,
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]
brandyspaw,

I was thinking something along the same line. I have had the spam cans on order for 2 months now and not in any hurry. Once I get them I will make another order because it most likly be a few months for them to ship the spam cans. That way I will have ammo coming in every few months or so. I want the spam cans for storage. I think if you order the 1000 round case you get it quicker.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah TOW2B, you just keep ordering , stockpiling and shooting in rotation and it works out just fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you buy from some sources (such as Sportsman Guide) something to consider is to place a case or two of Wolf on backorder because they won't bill your CC until the ammo ships.  They list the estimated date when you place the order but I've found they always ship much earlier.

For example, right now when you order 7.62X39 they  list it will ship on Feb. 13th.  I bet they will restock and ship in less than a month. At least that  has been my experience. You get your order number placed in line so when they  restock they'll clear up your backorder first,

I have had 2 cases on backorder with SG since November.
They've moved the ship date back twice.

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
SPG is wierd like that. I ordered two Polish steel AK mags, 9.97 each for 30 rounders. The site said the mags were backordered till Jan. 16. I got the mags in the mail Dec. 29, less than a week after I ordered them. I expected some messed up mags, but it turns out that only the baseplate was messed up (one was dented, the other had worn finish, but remember this is the baseplate). The bodies/followers/springs were in great shape. So I oiled the outside, cleaned them some, loaded one for the range to test how well the springs hold up over time and set the other (unloaded) aside.

I have a good amount of ammo, I just wish I had more strippers. The gun shop had SKS stripper clips for ten cents apiece a few years ago, wish I had been interested in evil machine gun assault sniper massicare guns back then. Also, SPG had 1,000 round cases for $70 each a few months ago, I didn't bother because it was backordered and I didnt have the cash. I could have sold the ammo for a profit if I bought it earlier! But, I did get 180 rounds of Wolf laquer cased ammo at the local shop, it was listed at $2 a box, got 9 boxes, he charged me for 7. So $14 for 180 rounds. The ammo is old, old stuff but its all I need for bump firing.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top