Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:32:37 AM EDT
I have done a search here in the forums and found advise that the Barnual ammo (Red and Yell or Blue Box) was good stuff as is the Silver Bear stuff.  I see mixed reports on the Wolf ammo (or at lreast a couple posts to indicate it was casusing some issues - headspace issues?).

I am new to the 5.45x39 round and I don't even have my kit started yet but I will be starting soon (tonight?) and I have a gun show comming up on Saturday.  I need some basic advise on what ammo to get and what to avoid so I don't buy something stupid....

I have a can full of Indian 308 (760-rds) that I am afraid to shoot after seeing the feedback on that stuff and I don't want another bulk of ammo that sits there for SHTF and I run out of other ammo....  the Indian stuff is my last resort stash for the FnFal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would stick with FMJ Barnaul or Silver Bear. My chronograph testing indicated that the only difference between the two was the coating on the case. I had some duds with Wolf.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As said above I'd stick with Barnual FMJ. The Wolf 5.45mm I've shot all fired but accuracy was better with Barnual. I've read here before that Barnual is who makes ammunition for the Russian Military.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I typically get less 'fliers' with Silver Bear 5.45, than I'll usually get with 60 gr. Wolf FMJ and HP.

I have gotten some VERY consistent lots of 60 gr. FMJ Wolf.  But, I've found that more often than not, I get some pretty nasty fliers that inexplicably stray from what could have been a nice group.  This usually doesn't occur with the Silver Bear I've shot.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Barnaul also sells the only soft point that I'm aware of in 5.45x39, it gets mixed reviews.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top