Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 6:17:39 PM EDT
Counterpoint to my poll in the AR discussion forum. What is your highest round count on a single AK? If that rifle needed replacement parts list them below. If your round count is significantly higher than 15000 put that in there too.

Link to the AR Poll
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My highest round count AK is my SLR105A1R purchased in 2005, my first AK74.  This was my go to 74 until 2009 when the SLG31-44s started coming in, but I still shot the piss out of it til I moved to europe in 2014. I used it in classes and on every single range day without fail for years and years, which was 2 to 4 times per month

I'm not 100% sure it has over 15k, but it's definitely over 12k easy. We would burn through 2k a month of 5.45 without blinking an eye back in the day of 9 cent per round spam cans

I have replaced nothing on it, it still seems to shoot 3 moa and it has literally never had a malfunction. I can count on less than 10 fingers how many times it has failed to fire...once was a cleaning patch stuck in the gas block that caused it to fail to cycle and I'd estimate 5 or 6 dud 5.45 rounds over the years, but never a legit mechanical malfunction. AKs have a good rep but even I'm impressed by this SLR105

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Sar1 over 20k at this point.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I should be able to pick mine up tomorrow from the kitchen table ffl it was delivered to today.   Tomorrow, it should have at least a couple hundred through it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 5k each on my SGL 21 and SGL 31, 3.5k on my N PAP.

May have had a few failures to feed on the N PAP, but I tossed that mag and haven't had any issues since. I clean them every few hundred rounds or so.

My highest AR was 7500 before I sold that upper and replaced it with a Colt 6921 upper for reference.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my SGL-31 back when they were about $900, I also purchased 2 cases (4 cans / 4,320 rounds) of 7N6 surplus ammo.

After I burned through that and 7N6 was banned I put it in the safe and started shooting my SGL-21 I purchased around the same time.

My SGL-21 probably saw 3k before importation was banned and both were cleaned thoroughly and retired as safe queens...

Unfortunately those are my highest mileage AKs.  Hopefully that will change soon with an AK-101 clone from either PSA or KUSA.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Bulgarian AK74 kit build from back in 2008 or 2009. It has at least 2160 rounds of 7n6 through it from a case I went through when it was my only gun. Not much compared to many of you guys, but I go through a lot of guns!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My AKSU built from a Bulgarian 105 by InRange. I mostly shelved it after shooting over 10k. I did take it out yesterday though, still shoots great.

I'd say over 90% of the rounds fired through it was surplus.

Best thing about it is that it has a military trigger in it that is so smooth now.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Don’t know. My M70 has the original barrel and some carvings. Could’ve been fired in anger, could’ve been never used.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Sgl31 converted and refinished by Butler.  

5k ish rounds.  Zero malfunctions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably my 7.62 saiga. Used to shoot 3 gun with it. Probably did 500-1000rnds a month the first year I ran it before I had my AKSU built and built my AKS74. The Tapco in that saiga is buttery smooth now! Completely worn in finally!

My new can has a way different POI than my hybrid which threw me off at 100 yards on Saturday. Didn't expect THAT much POI shift on that rifle!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
SLR 106 F.   13,400 rounds. Yes I tracked it .

I have had two FTE's over that time.  All types of ammo have been used from Russian, mostly brown bear, to many flavors of m193 clones and ss109/M855 clones.  The only problems I have had were the slide button for the rear sight disintegrated and the pin that holds the muzzle device plunger came loose.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Not too many compared to most but Sgl21 with approximately 10K no issues and a Zpap m92 with 6K no issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
The WASR 10/63 on the right, pushing 15k.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several AKs well over 30,000 without consulting my log book. One of my PolyTech Legend AKs is close to 60k easy. I’ve owned AKs for 40 years. My Father owned a gun shop so I got my ammo free most of the time or at wholesale back when a case was super cheap. I still have a shitload of ammo, I was buying AK ammo up until the latest panic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a tie.  1) MId-80s import Clayco import ChiCom "double underfolder" w/ spiker which was well used when I got it in the early 90s -  I did a hack job russian AKM palm swell handguard install but kept the original foregrip.   2) Is a Hungarian SA-85M fixed stock pre-89 Kasner import -  slant break was frozen on from lack of maintenance when I bought it in the mid-90s and I have tried everything and could never get it off so I said f'k it (kitted out with full russian furniture right after I bought it but as with the Chicom gun still have the original teak furniture).  Unknown round counts but I have put thousands through both over the years.  People tend to like the fixed stock better but I like the underfolder  - I also like HK91s and MP5 variants with the collapsible stocks too.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a tie.  1) MId-80s import Clayco import ChiCom "double underfolder" w/ spiker which was well used when I got it in the early 90s -  I did a hack job russian AKM palm swell handguard install but kept the original foregrip.   2) Is a Hungarian SA-85M fixed stock pre-89 Kasner import -  slant break was frozen on from lack of maintenance when I bought it in the mid-90s and I have tried everything and could never get it off so I said f'k it (kitted out with full russian furniture right after I bought it but as with the Chicom gun still have the original teak furniture).  Unknown round counts but I have put thousands through both over the years.  People tend to like the fixed stock better but I like the underfolder  - I also like HK91s and MP5 variants with the collapsible stocks too.  
View Quote

We must have been separated at birth because my only HK91 has the meat tenderizer on it and I shoot it better than my Brother’s fixed stock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Ha!   I know most people say the opposite but I started on underfolders and german collapsibles  so I dont know any better!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#18]
My highest mileage AK is my WASR 10/63. I'm somewhere around 15,000 rounds since I've owned it. I know it's in excess of that for total lifespan, with it being a second hand rifle for me. Only thing I've done was a bolt refresh kit and recoil spring, but that wasn't because I had to. I did it preemptively because I usually maintenance all of my rifles at 8,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My AK’s are pretty’s much safe queens I’m embarrassed to say…….
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My AK’s are pretty’s much safe queens I’m embarrassed to say…….
View Quote

Whatl!  AK must be fired.  Go outside and shoot!  Tell the neighbors to duck!  BS aside - they take a beating and keep on ticking - unless you have a NIB Legend or similar I would say shoot it! If it is a factory gun, the price will only go up anyway.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#21]
My first AK was a WASR 10/63 and has somewhere between 7,000 and 9,000 rounds through it. It's also an underfolder. It has had a handful of malfunctions, all related to surplus magazines that were in less that excellent condition.

The Maadi is over 5,000 as well. It, along with my other-albeit lower round count-rifles have not malfunctioned.

I don't keep gunbooks though, so it's hard to give accurate numbers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a WASR10 back in 2001 and ran about 15k of that sweet sweet $90/k Wolf through it

It fell apart. I'm always shocked to see they're held in high regard these days.

Sold it after Sandy Hook for more than I bought it new for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought a WASR10 back in 2001 and ran about 15k of that sweet sweet $90/k Wolf through it

It fell apart. I'm always shocked to see they're held in high regard these days.

View Quote

Just curious, what fell apart?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Romanian made part that I had problems with was the firing pin, the back end mushroomed to where it was short enough that it wouldnt strike the primer any more.

The real problem was improper heat treating of the Century receiver. The trigger and hammer spring holes egged out on the left side and the pins would walk out. I ended up finding some grade 8 bolts that fit. The ejector was starting to peen pretty bad too, but it still worked.

I had a friend with the same year/gun and he caught the trigger/hammer pin hole problem before I did. He did the at home heat treating with a MAPP torch (IIRC) and it solved it before it became a real problem.

Oh, and by the time I had about 15k through it, the groups started to get a lot wider. It probably went from a 4MOA gun to a 6MOA gun. (Wolf ammo groups)

eta: That was all in the 2001-2006 time frame. Ive heard the G kits and 10/63 guns were a lot better....but I still swore Id never own another Romanian AK and I havnt.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top