Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:21:41 PM EDT
Okay, I need an honest no bs answer about Ace folding stocks, please? I have one for my AK and currently are using the extended block. I have the internal block, but have not cut the tang off my AK. It seems that no matter where I go the Ace is a POS. I think it is a sturdy stock and is built good. I have heard use only original AK parts on a AK. Don't run your AK like an AR. etc, etc, etc.

Can someone please explain why the ACE stock is a supposedly piece of junk?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm new to me.
I have one fixed to an internal block. Sturdy as ever, and Ill be buying more.
I would love to try out the folding mechanism. From what I seen posted, it has very solid lockup.

To me it just looks like it would be pretty bulky or wide when folded.
On a side note..anyone running the internal block for a milled receiver?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, so is following their instructions enough in mounting the internal block? I keep hearing unless you are a certain AK gunsmith then you do not know how to mount the stock and you would be ruining the gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry, but anyone who is trying to feed you the line of bull**** that ACE stocks are no good is clearly delusional.

They are solid, work well, stand up to abuse, and are a good value.

If you are nervous about cutting the tang on your receiver, save  the little piece of metal itself... it can always be welded back on again later if you change your mind. I personally went with the internal block on my DesertDog AK and never looked back.

Just like they say about cars... anyone can own a classic, but it takes a real man to cut one up.

-urban
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
urban, thanks!! that is exactly why I bought the stock!! Where are you located in Oregon? I am in NE Oregon on the Columbia River.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Way down south from you about 15 miles past McMinnville.

IMHO the external block is just plain fugly, I much prefer the internal myself and would never consider going back.

As for the whole purist AK debate, well that ain't for me, I like my rifles how I like my rifles, whether that means it has an aftermarket stock or rail on it so be it... I just want it to work for me.

I also don't feel like beating up on a guy because he wants his rivets to look like Kalashnikov himself came over and did 'em last night, or that he's proud that his wood stock has been rubbed down with some supper secret recipe handed down from generations of Afghan rifle builders.

To each their own I say.

Just shoot the damn things once in a while, and try to have some fun doing it.

-urban
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Ace stocks are good, it's their customer service that some feel leaves something to be desired.
Ace has taken a bad rap for long shipping times, and in at lease one case, not keeping replacement parts for a older model of stock.

I would like to tell you this: If you want to cut off the tang to install the internal block - don't, and here's why. (my opinion only of course)
I put a collapsable ace stock on my polish tantal. After researching I decided I didn't want all that extra crap (external block) hanging off my rifle.
Thats cause I'm picky, and I'm betting your picky too. Now here's the point, while the internal block does look better than the external, it still leave an ugly spot.
It also took some fitting because it interfered with the selector and the rivet stub for the rearmost triggerguard rivet.
If at all possible, I would go with one of the rear trunnion blocks from AKBuilder that is made for Ace stocks:
AKBuilder block
Going this route would certainly be more work: drill out the old trunnion rivets and weld them up; drill new rivet holes for the new block, rivet the new trunnion, refinish rifle. But the end result will look much cleaner.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do exept I'll be replacing the receiver on this particular rifle (POS ITM receiver)

So to summarize I cut my tang and now I regret it. Don't be like me

PS: I replaced the collapsable stock with one of their fixed ones - and I like it much better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
iamg0ku seems to have a very good comprise for you, I would certainly look into it.

-urban
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
ACE stocks and their receiver blocks are solid. Don't know where you got the info that they suck. I have one on my Saiga S-12 shotgun with the folding mechanism and it's solid even when shooting 3" slugs. Just make sure you put some blue Loctite on the screws. You can go to the Saiga-12 forum and see that alot of members there are running ACE stocks on their S-12s and are happy with them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Another opinion here that ACE stocks are very good quality

Since DoubleStar bought them out, or whatever the new arrangement is, their supply/ service has been crap allegedly so vendors are really pissed at them

Sometimes I've heard of a "little" play on the pushbutton folder mechanism but always rock solid on the regular model (thats what Im going to use FWIW).

Good luck'

'Cheers

harv
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I just added the standard folder w/skeleton stock and internal block to my Saiga 7.62.
It did require some fitting:
1. Internal block had to be trimmed to clear rivets for trunion and screw for trigger guard.
2. Since the Saiga has extra holes in the receiver, I had to trim the block some more, and drill and tap it.
(I had button head hex screws in the holes, with nuts on the inside.)

Now that it's mounted up, it's very solid.
Seems to be a well-made, sturdy piece of gear.
When folded, the gun may be about 1/4" wider than it was with my Romanian folder, but I didn't take any measurements.

Mine took a few hours to get just right, but I don't regret it.

Edited to add:
My stock was delivered about 10 days after I ordered it. That's about half what I was expecting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an ACE internal block on my WASR.  I didn't remove the tang either (I have an optics rail that attaches to the tang.)

I cut a square notch out of the internal block.  Of course, you would't be able to return it, but since I had to trim the lower part anyway, it didn't really matter.  I don't know if the folding unit would fit, but I have the ACE pig nose adaptor and I am running an M4 stock with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got an ACE with internal block on a MAK 90. Whoever told you they were junk doesn't know shit. It's a rock solid folding stock. My only complaint is if you set it up to fold left, the sling attachment is useless.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got an ACE with internal block on a MAK 90. Whoever told you they were junk doesn't know shit. It's a rock solid folding stock. My only complaint is if you set it up to fold left, the sling attachment is useless.

I believe ACE needs to come up with a better option for sling attachments. I hope they will think about having built in QD push button sling attachments on some of their stocks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang, I love mine. Hard for me to imagine it being any better. This thing is rock-solid and tight.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dang, I love mine. Hard for me to imagine it being any better. This thing is rock-solid and tight.

Same here. I've got one on my MAK-90, along with the older folding hinge.

What I'm currently going back-and-forth on is if I should install one on my KTR. It may sound weirdly gung-ho, but I want to be able to seriously butt-stroke someone with this thing if the need arises. I wonder if the new push-button folder would be strong enough for that? The ROBARM stock. while beautiful once ventilated by Krebs, doesn't give me that much confidence.

So, the ACE would go on the KTR and the ventilated stock onto my other VEPR K.

Besides, the KTR (which to me is a Galil on steroids) would look much more the part with the ACE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I am currently in Afghanistan 'till next spring, but I am currently buying parts for my spring projects.  I am going to convert my '74 to a folder using an Ace internal block and side folder.  I am debating between using the Ace "Galil" looking stock or maybe using the Ace AR adaptor and a 7.5" Sully stock, set up to fold left.   The Sully stock seems like it would be just about the perfect length and geometry and look good to boot.  The down side is that the Sully stock is about twice as expensive as any other AR fixed stock, and I'm not sure how I would run a sling.

Has anybody out there done that combo?  I haven't seen one on the boards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have any close up photos of where the hinge meets the trunion?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
This is the second thread I've seen where someone has been told ace stocks are junk.

I want to know who's spreading this crap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 3:35:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone have any close up photos of where the hinge meets the trunion?

You can zoom in on this a little, but's it's not hi-res. enough to get super close.
Anyway, I think ACE rocks!

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I want to put one on my KTR 03..........I think they are also oem stocks for Robinson XCR. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Ace stocks are great. The fit and quality of my Ace on my Vepr is second to none. One of the best upgrades I've done to my AK. I use to have an Ace skeleton stock on my AR, prior to the ban expiring. It was also a great stock then. If you ask any AR or AK "traditionalist" they will always give advice to keep it original to its own form. If you follow that way of thinking, you would never consider any tacticool parts for the AK...such as a skeleton folding stock.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top