BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2010 5:23:24 AM EDT
Looking at them from Aim and was curious if the 10 dollar price difference is worth it or not?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Me too!

Price is finally low enough I am ready to fo!
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If the quality is good get the Korean ones, they're like the Norinco 75 round drums where you open up the back and load them, can store with spring unwound.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The Korean drums are nowhere near the quality of the Romy drums, the romy is identical to my chinese drums. The welds on the Korean drums suck. I sold my Korean drum for $45 bucks and replaced it with a Bulgy drum which seems to be the same quality as the Chinese and Romy drums.  Cant beat the price for the Romy drums.(all drums I refered to are the open back chinese design)

JCS
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Romy over the Korean
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Romanian FTMFW. Korean = FTL
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a shitty week of work only to return home and have my box of three Korean drums on the porch.  They dont look that bad!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Just came back from a test and I can tell you this:  I bought two Koreans from Centerfire.  I loaded one with 60 rds (all I had), bumped it empty and in the process split the gas tube furniture right down the middle.  Should I blame the mag?  

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just came back from a test and I can tell you this:  I bought two Koreans from Centerfire.  I loaded one with 60 rds (all I had), bumped it empty and in the process split the gas tube furniture right down the middle.  Should I blame the mag?  

No. It wasn't the mags fault.

Pics? Was it plastic or wood? Nevertheless, it sounds like you had a bad hand guard.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually I was being somewhat sarcastic.  My point being the Korean mag ran flawlessly.  The hand guard wood was already cracked and the bump firing just separated it further.  What does p*ss me off is Aim has the same mags for $50 each.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Love the Romanian drums. 75 round drums are the same as buddies Chinese drums and shot perfectly.  Can store with rounds and spring unwound.
16 clicks is all it takes.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know why, but Bryan from AIM said "we will get more Romanians, but if its me I buy the Korean" when asked.
over here.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=198190

FB
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Shot both drums fully loaded today,  Romanian drums worked great.  No malfunctions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but Bryan from AIM said "we will get more Romanians, but if its me I buy the Korean" when asked.
over here.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=198190

FB

Hmm...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=196628

About half way down the page he says Romanians are better.

I like the Romanians better, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]
biglou,
Good catch.  I just asked why the change in recommendations.  We'll see what happens.

My guess is, one was in stock and the other wasn't.

FB
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
biglou,
Good catch.  I just asked why the change in recommendations.  We'll see what happens.

My guess is, one was in stock and the other wasn't.

FB

I noticed he gave you a response. Which does make sense, lol.

Quoted:
20% cheaper, the average guy is buying 4-5, makes a big difference

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'd like to know if there will be a regular supply of these being imported since both Romanian and Korean drums are new production?

(Assuming there won't be any new import restrictions in the future. )
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
over here.....

FB

My guess would be inventory....
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I just recieved two Korean drums from Aim today.Orderd them Saturday night and they hit the door today.The fit and finish looks good to me.I was not expecting them to look as good as they do.They both fit perfect in my two 10/63's. I won't be going to the range any time soon,but I will be order more of these drums.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just recieved two Korean drums from Aim today.Orderd them Saturday night and they hit the door today.The fit and finish looks good to me.I was not expecting them to look as good as they do.They both fit perfect in my two 10/63's. I won't be going to the range any time soon,but I will be order more of these drums.

I have several of each.  For the extra $10, if the Romy's are in stock, I would get those.  If not, the SKoreans.  They both are fine mags and I haven't noticed any problems with the Sk's akin to the issues with some of their stick mags.  They just feel a little lighter to me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
any of the Drums talked about the $49 ones from AIM? just wondering....
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
any of the Drums talked about the $49 ones from AIM? just wondering....

Those are Korean.  And, the price is $49. only if you buy two or more.

I just ordered one of the Romanian ones from Copes for $59.  -  helll, it's only another five bucks...

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Centerfire has the korean  for $ 25 if yo but an ak .

Wonder if I could buy my Saiga 12 ga and have that count ??
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
So how crapy are they?

Quoted:
The Korean drums are nowhere near the quality of the Romy drums, the romy is identical to my chinese drums. The welds on the Korean drums suck. I sold my Korean drum for $45 bucks and replaced it with a Bulgy drum which seems to be the same quality as the Chinese and Romy drums.  Cant beat the price for the Romy drums.(all drums I refered to are the open back chinese design)

JCS

Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Copes Romanians are now $65. I ordered one just for grins. Why not have one? Anyway, I was looking into a pouch for it and found out that the cheap Romanian pouches that some have do not fit this type of drum with the clamps for the back. So, I finally found an E. German pouch that they described as 'the same pouch as the 4-mag pouch but without the mag separators'. Well, I just happen to have an E. German 4-mag pouch, so I'm going to disconnect the separators and use that to keep the drum in. Loading instructions are going to take some study - looks like it's pretty easy to mess up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't think they will be a constant supply. Then again who knows... We just got another pallet of the Romanian drums in....... Still on sale at $59.99ea.....

Also,, The AK74 Drums are in stock along with the GSG5 110rnd. Drums...

Happy Shopping....

I just got mine in the mail today, upon initial inspection they look just as good as my Chinese drums from the Nineties.  Can't wait to get home from work so I can tinker with them.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Here they are, fresh from Cope's Distributing.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd go with the Romanian.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just ordered one from Copes
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought 2 Korean mags and had to dremel them to fit easily. The are a little more awkward to put into the gun when fully loaded. I guess it is the weight and size compared to the 30 rounders. They seem to look and load just like the chinese. I'm not gonna buy more than 2 anyway
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got a Romanian drum last week.  The quality AND finish are top notch!  My Yugo underfolder actually looks ugly beside it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Yugo underfolder.  Do those Romanian drums work ok in your Yugo underfolder?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad I found this thread.  I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Having tried both, I have had no function issues with either drums. The welds do look a little nicer on the Romanians, but the $49.95 price on SK's from AIM is hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Cheap drum mag pouch. The rain camo E. German 4-mag pouch - cheap and well-made. The E. Germans also used them for drum pouches by not installing the magazine separators. You can take a 4-mag pouch and modify it for a drum by simply cutting the center seam of the two-piece mag separator. Each piece then folds flat and the drum slips in and the flap closes perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey, I like that non-corrosive paper that the drums are packed in, and Cope's packing/shipping is always excellent.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cheap drum mag pouch. The rain camo E. German 4-mag pouch - cheap and well-made. The E. Germans also used them for drum pouches by not installing the magazine separators. You can take a 4-mag pouch and modify it for a drum by simply cutting the center seam of the two-piece mag separator. Each piece then folds flat and the drum slips in and the flap closes perfectly.

Nvm
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a Yugo underfolder.  Do those Romanian drums work ok in your Yugo underfolder?

An absolutely perfect fit.  No persuasion needed, and no mag wobble.

If these drums were made in the US, they'd need to sell them for $200.  They're that nice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Tell you one thing about these drum mags - you don't want to use them and try to be quiet. The things rattle like a trash can full of marbles being kicked downstairs. My Romy locks into my FEGs with no problem, including the AMD-65. I only bought one for a range toy in the first place, so I really don't care that it's noisy and heavy when loaded, but just thought I'd mention it for those considering getting one. Also, for 922-compliant AKs, check your compliance scheme to see if you can use a 100% foreign magazine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#39]
They are noisy. It shouldn't be a problem since the noise coming from the end of the muzzle is gonna be crazy for 75 smokin rounds. If you are gonna
be creepin then carry the 30's. Go prone or go home. Rat-a-tat-tat went my gat. Sorry
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Just went over my drums that I posted the pic of, lubed them, cleaned any residual skin oils and gave them a light coating of oil so the ones that I won't be using immediately will be safe from rust, and I felt the need to reiterate just how nice these Romanian drums are.  Price difference is ten to fifteen dollars, but these drums are awesome, and I say that as someone that has dealt with many other drums from other nations.  If the minor price difference won't break you, get the Romanian ones.  If it WOULD break you, you probably shouldn't be wasting your money on AK drums.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#41]
The Romanian drums locked right into my SLR-95, no fitting required.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Are there any more of these romanian drums available anywhere?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Check http://www.copesdistribiting.net, that's where I got mine.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I broke the one Romanian drum I ever had, effectively making it a nifty conversation piece (unless someone knows where I can get a follower).  

Doubt I'll ever buy another.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I broke the one Romanian drum I ever had, effectively making it a nifty conversation piece (unless someone knows where I can get a follower).  

You mean the follower with the dummy 3 rounds of ammo?  I have an extra one.....unless you want to sell the drum cheap....LMK
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean the follower with the dummy 3 rounds of ammo?  I have an extra one.....unless you want to sell the drum cheap....LMK

PM inbound.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check http://www.copesdistribiting.net, that's where I got mine.

Just got two from Copes, high quality is the right description.  Mailed quickly, at reasonable rate and packed securely.  Copes has the best deal.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I got mine from Copes three weeks ago, on sale for $59.  Now I can't find them on their site.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I have 20 of the Koreans, bought as an investment, at 97 bucks each, when they first came out, as more imports are never guaranteed.

Turns out not to have been such a good investment, yet.

Mention the ban, and.........

However, I have used and sold a couple, no failures of any kind.

And, as a metal fabricator, if anything, the Korean drums, and mags, are more precise in manufacture than any of the chinese stuff, no grinding on the feed lips for final fit, etc.

The romanian drums, if you did not know, are made on tooling either bought from, or set up by the chinese to find a backdoor way into the USA, as obviously, you can't import their stuff.

If, the case were made, that this was the situation, there is a small chance that they could be banned from importation, so in terms of sourcing, the Korean stuff may be more importable, long term

That said, I also have heard the Korean stuff was produced to supply to the US military, with mags for Iraq, and Afghanstan, that didn't have to be purchased from an unfriendly country like China, which is where the US bought a huge amount of AKs from, to standardize weapons in the Iraq/Ghan police/army forces.

One thing I did not concerning function of the Korean mags, is that you only turn them 6 clicks to apply spring pressure, then you are unable to turn them further.  My preban chicoms took like 14 or 15 clicks, and you could overwind them too far, I have never loaded a new chinese/Romy one, so I don't know about the number of clicks on those drums.

But the Korean ones are definitely more sped proof.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#50]
http://fwix.com/rochester/share/874b7d5b54/us_agents_search_chili_arms_dealer

THIS may be the end of the drum wars, just found it in another post in this forum about this topic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top