Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:40:47 PM EDT
I have a .300 win mag that shoots right around 1/4 MOA I have about $700-800 to spend what is the best scope to get? I want to be able to shoot to 1000m+

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Your probably going to need to spend more money.

http://www.amazon.com/NightForce-12-42x56mm-Illuminated-Riflescope-C104/dp/B0016WMBPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340509626&sr=8-1&keywords=nightforce+12-42x56+nxs
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan to but it wont be for a year or so I just need something until I can save up for a good one
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
vortex PST's are in that $ range. I shoot 1K with mine all the time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
thank you
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Vortex is a good brand.

You could search around and find a used Leupold Mark 4. Leupold offers free lifetime service/cleaning as well so you can purchase a used one, send it it to get inspected.

Pony up a few extra bucks and look at Bushnell's HDMR line. That is what my team runs and they are great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll second the Bushnell HDMR retail is $1599 and for the money It is the best out there.
What ever you do don't buy a ballistic reticle, get one that is Millrad based or MOA based and make sure the turrets are in the same dimensions as the reticle. Either MIL-MIl or MOA -MOA; it makes it easier to make adjustments
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the Bushnell. Although I haven't got it yet, I ordered one. Just want someone else in my boat as it were. FYI Optics planet has a good price and so does lapolice gear. Just under 1k.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The Vortex Viper PST's are excellent scopes in your price range.  the quality is very good and the warranty/customer service is top notch.

The Bushnell HDMR is also an excellent optic as mentioned as are the Nightforce's.  If you look around you should be able to find both of these used for not much more than your budget.

Though you'd not be making a mistake to just go with the PST.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By texasmedic:
I have a .300 win mag that shoots right around 1/4 MOA I have about $700-800 to spend what is the best scope to get? I want to be able to shoot to 1000m+

Is this with three, five or ten rounds?  And how often can you repeat this?  Seems like all you you need is a new base.  Unless your scope can't handle the
elevation even with a 20 MOA base.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Zeiss Conquest.  I've got two and love them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
+7 for Vortex Viper PST's.  I have 2 of them, and I only used to buy USO, NightForce, Leupold, etc.  You do not need to spend more than $700-$800.  3 years ago, I would have told you differently.

Cameraland has some unmounted open box demos for sale right now at amazing prices if you get on it.

2.5-10x44 Viper PST MRAD on 10x with 400m target:

5-15x44 Viper HS Tactical on 15x with 400m target:
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sold on Nightforce and have been for years. I have 2 OD the 5.5-22x50mm's; one on my custom .308 bolt gun and the other on my custom .300WM.

Out of the "high end" scopes, NF is the only company that I have not seen a failure from during one of my courses. I've seen more crashed Leupold Mk4's than I can begin to count, and more than one Schmidt & Bender.

Surprisingly, another scope line I have yet to see fail is the Vortex Viper PST. I see them quite regularly come through my school, mostly the 6-24's with a few 2.5-10's thrown in here and there. I've been impressed with them overall, especially at the price.

I was recently sent a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm with the EBR-1 MOA reticle for a T&E. Mounted it on my 18" JP LRP-07 in .308. Great scope so far, but I've only shot it out to 500yds. I'll be taking it out to my 1000yd range in TN in a couple weeks. I've run multiple box drills and runout drills on it.........returns to zero and holds zero every time. Additionally, the .25MOA adjustments are actually .25MOA.......you'd be amazed at how often that isn't the case.

I'm not switching from NF, but I do like the Viper PST. those 2 brands are currently the one I recommend to folks the most, depending on their budget.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#13]
S&B PM2 5-25x56
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
a very useful option would be a shepherd p1.  i am also a fan of the pst but for a hunting/long range shots the shepherds are simple to use and deadly accurate. they are expensive but they are rugged and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
+1 for the Viper PST, I bought one and it is an awesome scope for the price!
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for the Viper PST, I bought one and it is an awesome scope for the price!
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cmshoot:
I'm sold on Nightforce and have been for years. I have 2 OD the 5.5-22x50mm's; one on my custom .308 bolt gun and the other on my custom .300WM.

Out of the "high end" scopes, NF is the only company that I have not seen a failure from during one of my courses. I've seen more crashed Leupold Mk4's than I can begin to count, and more than one Schmidt & Bender.

Surprisingly, another scope line I have yet to see fail is the Vortex Viper PST. I see them quite regularly come through my school, mostly the 6-24's with a few 2.5-10's thrown in here and there. I've been impressed with them overall, especially at the price.

I was recently sent a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm with the EBR-1 MOA reticle for a T&E. Mounted it on my 18" JP LRP-07 in .308. Great scope so far, but I've only shot it out to 500yds. I'll be taking it out to my 1000yd range in TN in a couple weeks. I've run multiple box drills and runout drills on it.........returns to zero and holds zero every time. Additionally, the .25MOA adjustments are actually .25MOA.......you'd be amazed at how often that isn't the case.

I'm not switching from NF, but I do like the Viper PST. those 2 brands are currently the one I recommend to folks the most, depending on their budget.
View Quote

THIS!

If money is going to be the driving factor, then without a doubt, checkout the Vortex Viper PST. 1st / 2nd Focal Plane options, Mil / MOA options, Zero Stop, Illuminated Reticle, you can't touch that list of options with any other scope in that price range, and they are very good scopes.

My issue with the Bushnell Elite Tactical is that it does not have an Illuminated Reticle. For some folks that is not an issue, but after watching people trying to do some low light / night shooting in one of CMShoot's classes without one, the benefits of having it were very obvious. Those scopes also only come in Mil based versions, which if you prefer a MOA based scope can be an issue.

Per CMShoot above, I prefer my Nightforce scopes, they have all of the options that the Viper PST does, but the price tag is obviously about double. If a scope failure is not an option for you, then the extra money is very well spent. On the other hand if you are only using it for an occasional weekend range trip, then IMHO you can get away with saving the money and running the Vortex.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top