Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2021 7:17:27 PM EDT
I have looked at multiple credible ex special forces/SOF guys and it's honestly a variety. Larry Vickers has videos where he has a slight bend. Pat McNamara (Delta) I saw does both. Chris Sajnog (SEAL Teams) shows locked elbows. Fred Ruiz (SEAL Teams) showed locked elbows. This is for the typical modern day isosceles stance (a staggered boxing stance)

It seems there is no wrong answer but curious to hear opinions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
Locked.

Well, not locked locked. But mostly extended.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Minnesotadude] [#2]
Not often are things technically wrong in shooting but locked elbows is definitely wrong. I can't think of a single decent uspsa shooter who has locked elbows.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not locked.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Better not to have them locked, you absorb recoil better that way.

Sometimes though, under stress we sometimes punch it out all the way.  It happens.  But ideally we want elbows slightly bent.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Don’t equate SOF background for competency with pistols.  The only SOF group that actually has significant proficiency with pistol is 1SFOD-D (Delta, CAG, ACE, etc).  For everyone else in the military, the pistol is a secondary or tertiary weapon system.  MARSOC does have some good proficiency though, but SEALs definitely don’t.  I have first-hand stories of SEALs not being anywhere near as good of marksmen as people like to think they are.  
If you want to learn proper pistol shooting, you go to a cop or a competition shooter.  People who run the pistols as a primary weapon system and have thousands of hours on the pistol versus a few hundred.  If you look at the shooters who really know what they’re doing, you’ll see a slight bend in the elbow.  Their elbows are not locked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Better not to have them locked, you absorb recoil better that way.

Sometimes though, under stress we sometimes punch it out all the way.  It happens.  But ideally we want elbows slightly bent.
View Quote

This, plus if you need to move flexible to move to the next position.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Paul Howe advocates locked elbows for consistency...

But I use bent, for the reasons above.  My consistency is good enough without locking elbows.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Your looking in the wrong place. Look at the top competitive shooters. You will find 99% don’t lock their elbows unless shooting one handed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How about the super tactical guys who shoot a handgun with elbows fully bent?

I get it I suppose if you're indoors, crowded with obstacles, and need to maintain a smaller stance and keep your weapon close. I guess there isn't really a wrong way to do it if you train for it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NeuroCrim] [#11]
The real question is do you turn your gat sideways to make them feel da heat?
(Slight bend to the elbows)
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Slight bend.  Or however much bend is comfortable, just don’t do that Chris costa elbows straight out to the side shit.   And don’t fully extend them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I could be wrong, but betting the guy in the bottom pic with a locked elbow is IDPA.  From what I have seen here in Austin, it appears MUCH slower than other run and gun sports where that would be more of a deficit.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By battlestick:
I could be wrong, but betting the guy in the bottom pic with a locked elbow is IDPA.  From what I have seen here in Austin, it appears MUCH slower than other run and gun sports where that would be more of a deficit.

View Quote
Yeah no.  That's Bob Vogel and he's fast as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By battlestick:
View Quote

You're definitely wrong about Bob Vogel (multiple time national champion shooter), but you are right that IDPA scoring penalizes poor accuracy very heavily and as such, IDPA tends to be slow and boring.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By edcing:
I have looked at multiple credible ex special forces/SOF guys and it's honestly a variety. Larry Vickers has videos where he has a slight bend. Pat McNamara (Delta) I saw does both. Chris Sajnog (SEAL Teams) shows locked elbows. Fred Ruiz (SEAL Teams) showed locked elbows. This is for the typical modern day isosceles stance (a staggered boxing stance)

It seems there is no wrong answer but curious to hear opinions.
View Quote

None of those people are shooters you should be looking to as SME's on pistol shooting. They'd be mid-pack at best among weekend warrior dentists and insurance salesmen at any USPSA match.

As to your actual question.... both locked and bent elbows are perfectly viable shooting techniques and you can achieve the highest possible levels of proficiency with either one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ClangClang:

None of those people are shooters you should be looking to as SME's on pistol shooting. They'd be mid-pack at best among weekend warrior dentists and insurance salesmen at any USPSA match.

As to your actual question.... both locked and bent elbows are perfectly viable shooting techniques and you can achieve the highest possible levels of proficiency with either one.
View Quote
You rang.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]
It doesn't matter.

Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SWedd523:
It doesn't matter.

Do what works for you.
View Quote

This.

I went to a class at Academi, that had a 60+ lady in her first class ever.  Have a dang near 90 degree bend in her elbow and kind of slow, but damn if she wasn't shooting the best
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dangus:
How about the super tactical guys who shoot a handgun with elbows fully bent?

I get it I suppose if you're indoors, crowded with obstacles, and need to maintain a smaller stance and keep your weapon close. I guess there isn't really a wrong way to do it if you train for it.
View Quote

center axis relock. a very close quarters technique. worthless in almost every other situation
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By carbface:

center axis relock. a very close quarters technique. worthless in almost every other situation
View Quote

But it looks cool in John Wick movies.  I went through a CAR course at work in the 90's.  Thumbs were killing me by the end of the class.  David
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Not locked but extended.  Probably from shooting magnum revolvers back in the day.  I'll have to try locked next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:59:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOhioan] [#23]
Simply shoot one handed :-) Locked in that case. Oh - and the manual of the Desert Eagle in .44 Mag even says you need to lock, otherwise there may be too much energy lost and the firearm may not cycle...

NRA trainings say "arms fully extended"...
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Center Axis Relock, do you even John Wick bro?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm going wth 85% lock. In my opinion it's more about "allowing" the weapon to cycle as efficiently as possible. I, after 1000s of rounds, can feel the subtle differences in certain rounds vs. others. Knowing THAT about ME gives me great confidence in my style as I can have ZERO worry about functionality and THAT allows me to focus on hitting my target. YMMV but that's my thought on the matter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]

You're definitely wrong about Bob Vogel (multiple time national champion shooter), but you are right that IDPA scoring penalizes poor accuracy very heavily and as such, IDPA tends to be slow and boring.
View Quote
Not if I'm shooting! I'm blasting 3 rounds per target.....got to make up those -0s ya know and getting quick split times! I look hella fast on video LOL
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Locking your elbows is going to increase your muzzle flip because you’re absorbing less recoil with your body. Kind of like trying to land a jump with your legs locked. Ideally you want to have your elbows slightly bent and allow the gun to return to its point of aim with as little intentional movement on your part as possible.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
You rang.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:

You rang.
You're beating me. Im a bottom of the pack nobody.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
Not if I'm shooting! I'm blasting 3 rounds per target.....got to make up those -0s ya know and getting quick split times! I look hella fast on video LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spiffums:

LOL.  I read the original post and was going to respond something similar.  The few IDPA matches I have shot I've been like 'Fuck yo rules!'  and shot it like a USPSA match.  I collected my penalties with pride!  Failure to do anything right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top