Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 6:13:56 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,

Quick question.  When I'm shooting at 100 yards.  I shoot 10 shots standing, kneeling and prone.  My kneeling shots are grouping but going right about 3-4 inches.  My offhand and prone are dead center (Especially prone).  I'm right handed/right eye dominant and wearing plates.  I'm taking my time and following through with my shot.  During follow through i see my sight (Aimpoint) go to the right.  The crazy thing is this just started happening (Last rifle qual with agency).

Thanks,

CB
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you using a sling that might be slightly bending the barrel under tension?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyF:
NPO (Natural Point of Aim) applies to all shooting positions.

If you aren't familiar with how to "find it", get into position, take aim, then close your eyes for a few moments, open them and determine if you're still on target. If not you are probably "muscling" the rifle to some extent and need to shift your body slightly to relieve the muscle tension.
View Quote
Do you wear plates primarily for work? I see some guys that wear patrol uniform 99% of the time and then come out and qualify in a full plate carrier and shoot like shit. I agree with TonyF's statement. It's definitely possible that you are doing something along those lines. All it takes is some practice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Your eye is in a different place when the group moves.  Different in relation to the optic (does the same for irons, or a scope and probably a red dot).

People who shoot competition at longer ranges can usually tell you that when the move from standing to sitting or sitting to prone, how many clicks up/down or left/right they have to adjust to keep their groups centered.

Consistency is key.  That's why nose to the charging handle is so important.  I set my scopes/red dots up so I keep my nose to the charging handle.  Means I sometimes have to buy a second scope mount when I buy a different scope, but it works for me.  If I shoot it with the scope on it, my nose is on charging handle.  If I take the scope off to use the back up sights, my nose is on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
If it just started happening, check what has changed. Have you had an injury? Get glasses? New prescription? New equipment?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You were absolutely correct.  I changed from nose to charging handle to cheek on stock.  Why???  Because i heard that with red dots consistent cheek weld wasn't as important.  Wrong!!!!  Back to nose to Charging Handle and back to perfect scores.

Thanks,

Craig
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You were absolutely correct.  I changed from nose to charging handle to cheek on stock.  Why???  Because i heard that with red dots consistent cheek weld wasn't as important.  Wrong!!!!  Back to nose to Charging Handle and back to perfect scores.

Thanks,

Craig
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CBAR15:

Thanks,

Craig
View Quote
What red dot? They ALL have some degree of parallax, some more than others.
Eotechs have less than most.

Good read:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Red-Dot-Parallax-Test-Results/18-714950/
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint parallax is usually pretty great, wouldn't expect that big of a difference.

Originally Posted By sergtjim:
Are you using a sling that might be slightly bending the barrel under tension?
View Quote
If your barrel isn't floated and you're holding sling tension this is definitely possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top