Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2019 2:59:41 PM EDT
You have 100 rounds to shoot.

You are at a range that does not allow to fire from the holster or shoot rapid fire, (1 round every 3 seconds).

Your training plan?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:09:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thunderopossom] [#1]
That would be tough

Edit: could you really do anything but bullseye shooting?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CA_TX-Cop] [#2]
In cases like that I usually put the gun on the bench, or hold it at low ready.  I start with single shots, coming up and either acquiring target and getting 1 round off where I want it.  Then decock, safety on, finger off the trigger, whatever type of action you have, and do it again.  I'll do that for about 15 rounds or so.

Then I will do the same with 2 rounds.  First round as if from the holster, second as a follow-up shot, trying to keep the two rounds together.  Do this 10 times and you get to 35 rounds.

Next, do the 2 round drill, followed by a third round at another spot on the paper, implying you have had to switch targets to a second opponent.  Do this 10 times and you are at 65 rounds.

Swap to left hand (or off hand if you are a lefty) and do drill 1, and 2 above. = 100 rounds.

Sorry, missed the 3 seconds between shots.  I would do like I have done with 50 rounds.  You shoot 50 rounds as IF they were 1 shot from the holster, but coming up from the low ready.  Right hand, left hand, right hand supported, left hand supported.  Practice getting that sight picture and first shot into the T box.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a new range and practice firing from the holster.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
fill up another 100 primers on the Dillon 650

repeat x5

go to america and shoot all afternoon
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I forget the name of the drill, but I use for warming up...
Round in chamber, no mag... shoot... re cock and dry fire.
This helps to eliminate flinching and dipping.
After a dozen or so of those I work on "bulls eyes" on paper.
If/when I like my groupings I start hitting the steel.
100 rounds would probably suffice for one gun and one outing.
Maybe more work on the paper rather than the steel if limited to 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Playing card as targets
5 rounds x3 yards
5 rounds x7 yards
5 rounds x10 yards
5 yards x15 yards
5 rounds x25 yards
Repeat 4 times.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
YouTube the Travis Haley Venti 100 video and then download the targets used in the video off his website. You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 3:33:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fla556guy] [#8]
I go to a range where I can practice real shit, not hold a gun and shoot it.

Holster work, multiple targets, rapid fire and movement.

Standing on a line and blasting a target 1 shot every 1 second is.....pointless if you can't train for the rest of it.

If they won't let me do at least most of this, I'll find a new range or go to public land.  Ranges that have those sorts of rules, they offer me nothing unless I'm going for sighting in a long gun or doing something with precision.

But pistols?  Yeah.  No actual defensive pistol skill practice = not going to that range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Practice reloads drills
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd stay home and dry fire, honestly.

Save those rounds until you can hit an outdoor range with no restrictions.

Not worth the time or energy in those restrictive parameters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a lot of options.   Guess I'd be shooting Dot Torture, slow fire, accuracy at 1" dots, 25/50yard B8s and the like until I got to a better range.  Although I did take a class where we shot 100 rounds in 8 hours.  All slow fire and was great for trigger press work.  So still can work on something.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By awmp:

You are at a range that does not allow to fire from the holster or shoot rapid fire, (1 round every 3 seconds).

Your training plan?
View Quote
First step of my training plan:
New range that allows training.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#14]
My only outdoor range has silly shit like this.  So, when I do go to that range my training plan is 100% focus on accuracy and fundamentals.

Using B-16, B-8(p) target or an ARFCOM target Link having something that you can score works best but the ARFCOM Target is fun and cheap.

Drill 1. Called (DET1) drill, Navy drill, or “combat pistol” drill (it’s from part of a rifle qual)
Distance: 25yds
Time: 2mins (cause of your no rapid fire rule)
Course of fire: 10rd mag standing, reload, one 10rd mag kneeling, reload, 10rd mag prone.
Scoring: X=10, 10=10, 9=9 etc, depends on your type of target
300pts-Master
290-299pts-Expert
280-289pts-Sharpshooter
270-279pts-Marksmen
260-269pts-Pass
259 and below-Fail, Needs practice etc etc
Arfcom target: all in-pass, any out-fail

Drill 2. “Hands”
Distance: 7-12yds. Try it at 7 first when you get good at 7 then try it at a further distance.
Time: 1min
Course of fire:Standing, 5rd mag two handed, reload, 5rd mag strong hand only, reload 5rd mag support hand only. You can do this with 10rd mags also
Scoring depending on how many rounds fired. 30rds score like above
15rds:
150pts-master
145-149-expert
140-144-sharpshooter
135-139-marksmen
Below 135- need improvement

Drill 3 Dot Torture
Modified for your range rules.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The range is indoors and 25yards, no rapid fire allowed, yeah I know but I have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shomestyle] [#16]
This is what I would recommend, using either a 3x5 card or a 1" circle

https://classes.tacticalperformancecenter.com/2016/07/12/acclimation-training-the-hidden-key-to-performance/

I would add a 3rd there, where you are firing live on one target and transitioning to a second target and breaking your dryfire as soon as you see sights on target as well.  The gun should feel like it's floating to the next target in this case.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 4:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CorruptBureaucrat] [#17]
CSAT standards are great, I'd probably focus on 1, 3, and 4. Even a shot timer app would do the job if it's got a random start, and you can hear it over the other noise. Though if they are really that strict on slow fire only, drill 1 and 7 might be the only ones that work.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]
2 round and reload. Use spent brass to induce malfunctions.

Use 20 rounds for long range sight picture. 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
25rds strong hand only bullseye at 15yds or more
25rds weak hand only bullseye at 15yds or more
50rds two hand bullseye at 25yds or more
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:21:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: echo5whiskey] [#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Find a new range and practice firing from the holster.
View Quote
ETA: after I reposted that, I had to remember that I once lived in a wannabe communist state with only one public outdoor range too. Pardon my lack of memory.

If you were taught to draw in "stages" (i.e. remove from holster, rotate, bring to chest, present), you might try to shoot from presentation as if you are drawing, but without the full movement. FWIW, I don't train to draw in stages, but I know it's still popular in some training programs.

You could also incorporate dummy rounds to train for malfunctions, that'll add a little bit of time. Just don't fill them in regular intervals all the time (i.e. ever other round, every third round, etc.), unless your memory is bad enough that you'll forget.

Someone else mentioned it, but you could definitely work on speed reloads...unless they have rules against that too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter220] [#21]
My favorite "warm-up" drill is Todd Green's 3x5 walkback drill (it is still up at here) - it is:

Range: 3yd, 5yd, 7yd, 10yd, & 15yd
Target: 3×5 card
Start position: any
Rounds fired: 6 at each distance

Shooter fires six rounds at the target at his own pace for maximum accuracy. For traditional double action guns, three shots should be double action and three shots should be single action in alternating sequence (double, single, double, single, double, single).

At three yards, the goal is to have all six bullet holes touching. After that, all shots need to hit the card. If all six shots hit the card, increase to the next distance.

For added challenge, use three cards and perform the drill freestyle, strong-hand only, and weak-hand only at each distance.
View Quote

I like to vary it up in one  way - I use two targets, one for DA and one for SA. I also shoot the 3 DA, then the 3 SA at each distance.

If you only have 100 rounds, you can go through it three times. If you are feeling sporting, you can make the targets smaller (I sometimes use half of a card at the closer distances). I will say, shooting on the timer speeds up the ammo use, so I would likely do three reputations - one slow fire (untimed), one more rapid fire (generous par time), and then one with an aggressive part time IF I was getting a very high percentage of hits. The 10 and 15 yard targets can be a bit of a challenge, so it may make sense to change the par time as the range increases too.

-shooter

ETA - missed the slow fire requirement in the OP - I would simply make the target smaller, and shoot at their required pace.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By awmp:

Your training plan?
View Quote
Work on the fundamentals.

All shot on NRA B8 targets:

10 rounds slow fire at 10 yards both hands x 2
10 rounds slow fire at 10 yard strong hand only x 2
10 rounds slow fire at 10 yards support hand only x 2
1 reload 1 at 7 yards x 10
10 rounds slow fire at 25 yards both hands x 2

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Join a less restrictive range.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Only 100 rounds?  I usually only shoot 50-100 rounds centerfire and 50-100 rounds rimfire during any session.  If I shoot more than that I am just blasting and quality drops.  That and I am cheap and on a budget.

Right now I am doing a LOT of MantisX training.  Dry fire and airgun at home to practice draw and accuracy fundamentals every day, followed by range training with live rounds when I believe I have those fundamentals reasonably down and am not repeating the mistakes.  It seems to be helping and I have the data and scoring to show my groups and times are getting better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#25]
With ammo being tighter and more expensive, 100 rounds is a good training session.

As mentioned earlier, the indoor range for recreational/practice shooting is all that is available.

Keep the ideas coming, good stuff. Just shifted to red dot (rmr) and trying to get more practice on a regular basis, 2-3 times a month.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
@awmp What pistol?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Can you practice reloading drills?
One in the chamber empty mag.  
Do a reload when mag is empty
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Pistol is Glock 45 / Glock 19 (both RMR), 1911 and Sig P320.

I can practice reload as long as pistol is pointed down range, can't be from the holster.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:44:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#29]
Get a DryFireMag for the Glocks. You can do a lot with one and if you're not actually firing rounds they can't whine. You could even practice wide transitions on other people's targets and no one would know.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#30]
For 100 rounds, I usually do one round of dot torture and two 5x5 drills so I focus on speed and accuracy.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

https://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lounge/media/5x5-drill-1.pdf
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I quickly took a glance but I did not see one person answer the question. All I saw was a day at a range. No training was ever mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reb52:
I quickly took a glance but I did not see one person answer the question. All I saw was a day at a range. No training was ever mentioned.
View Quote

Comments like this belong in GD, not Tech.  If you disagree with everything posted, lay out your training plan, and explain why your plan II’s better.

OP, there’s been some good stuff mentioned.  I don’t really have anything to add.  This range is basically only going to allow you limited training, but training is possible.  Plenty of good suggestions for accuracy training.  I’d suggest mixing in malfunction/reload drills.  You can start with a snap cap or dummy round chambered followed by a live round in the mag.  On target pull the trigger, get the click, clear the malfunction and then fire the live round.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#33]
Given the range and ammo limitations, I would:

#1. Dryfire extensively.  10-15 minutes every morning for at least 3 months.  You are looking for a perfect trigger pull.  Smooth Draw.  2-hand.  Strong Hand.  Positions should include Standing, Kneeling, Squatting and Prone.  90% of your practice should be dryfire.

For new and intermediate shooters:
#2. Go with a friend to the range and do a Ball and dummy type training.  

NRA Pistol Targets are a free download and printable.

Have the friend coach you by loading a mix of live and dummy rounds out of your sight.  Then your "coach" watches you as you fire at the NRA targets.  You put 5 shots on each 4 inch target.  They should give you feedback if they see any movement (recoil anticipation, etc) on a dummy cartridge.  Throwing a live round requires 30 dryfires before you go back to live ammo.  That's 80 rounds.

#3. Get yourself an airsoft replica and practice the NRA and CSAT Pistol Standards at home with your airsoft.

#4.  If you sucked, keep at the dryfire and airsoft practice.  Scale targets for airsoft beyond 15-21ft.

#5. Go back to the range and spend the last 20 rounds working at the NRA target distance you did not succeed at during #2 (lots of people start to struggle at 20ft or 45ft)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top