Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 8:01:33 AM EDT
Can we get a competition pic thread started? I would love to see a place for people to post vids and pictures of their guns and rigs.

I just signed up for my first USPSA match and looking to see as many set ups as possible. I am just shooting what I have before I sink a bunch of money into it but would like to get some ideas from you experienced folks. I've already been paired with a mentor and doing research and training like crazy for months so I feel I'm pretty prepared (at least as prepared as I can be for my first match).

I will be shooting production minor with an all stock G34 until I figure out what will actually benefit me. I'll get a picture of my setup posted soon. I would also appreciate it if you included parts lists, division gun is used for, etc.

I apologize if there is already an existing thread but at least give me the link to it when you call me retarded. Looking forward to learning from you all and hopefully take my shooting to the next level. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well....you could just go over to youtube and see thousands of USPSA videos.

And a google/bing image search will get you thousands of pics of firearms, gear, etc. Many have links to pages with the gear for sale.

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:21:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casarez] [#2]
Hey there,

I imagine he is asking since he can actually (virtually) talk to the people here and ask about their setups. Doesn't hurt to be a bit friendly.

OP - What I use right now is below. Based on recommendations here my belt system is still what you can get below. This setup is not even close to holding me back.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

You see 2 rows of mags. I use G34/17 mags in my G19. The top row are the ones for when I shoot production. The bottom row is for Limited (Minor) and eventually Carry Optics once I hit goals in Prod/Lim.

Pistol right now is a G19.4. The only changes are TTI FO sights, ISMI 15lb spring, OP falx trigger. I got the falx before I got good coaching/training. I am planning on putting the stock one back in and flipping the falx.

To be fair I am waiting on a G34.3 to get back from TTI. Once it does I am switching to it and my holster in the setup above will change to a Red Hill Tactical one. Rest will stay the same though.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My set up is basic as it gets.  

I'm currently using my EDC Glock 19.   Picked up a bladetech DOH and a couple double mag pouches.  (I should grab a single too.  Should run 5 on the belt)

I just started in this in April, so I didn't want to get all geared up before i knew what I really wanted/needed.

Hopefully I'll be picking up a Glock 34 somewhere in the not too distant future and i will probably get the DAA belt/combo listed above.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By casarez:
Hey there,

I imagine he is asking since he can actually (virtually) talk to the people here and ask about their setups. Doesn't hurt to be a bit friendly.

OP - What I use right now is below. Based on recommendations here my belt system is still what you can get below. This setup is not even close to holding me back.

http://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-boss-doh-holster-5-x-ghost-magazine-pouches-double-alpha-academy-daa-belt-deal/

You see 2 rows of mags. I use G34/17 mags in my G19. The top row are the ones for when I shoot production. The bottom row is for Limited (Minor) and eventually Carry Optics once I hit goals in Prod/Lim.

Pistol right now is a G19.4. The only changes are TTI FO sights, ISMI 15lb spring, OP falx trigger. I got the falx before I got good coaching/training. I am planning on putting the stock one back in and flipping the falx.

To be fair I am waiting on a G34.3 to get back from TTI. Once it does I am switching to it and my holster in the setup above will change to a Red Hill Tactical one. Rest will stay the same though.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/410415/IMG-0554-221583.JPG
View Quote
Thank you for your understanding response lol. Tough crowd in the competition section of the site apparently. And you are correct, I would like to be able to ask questions like a forum is generally used for, which brings me to my first. Are those mag carriers only rounds facing outwards (shows them that way on the website) or can they be used with a rounds forward orientation as well. Trying to keep things at least semi-consistant with how my duty gear is set up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LostKeys45:

Thank you for your understanding response lol. Tough crowd in the competition section of the site apparently. And you are correct, I would like to be able to ask questions like a forum is generally used for, which brings me to my first. Are those mag carriers only rounds facing outwards (shows them that way on the website) or can they be used with a rounds forward orientation as well. Trying to keep things at least semi-consistant with how my duty gear is set up.
View Quote
The ghost 360 mag carriers come with two pouches so you can run either way. One for forward and one for outward facing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LostKeys45:I will be shooting production minor with an all stock G34 until I figure out what will actually benefit me. I'll get a picture of my setup posted soon. I would also appreciate it if you included parts lists, division gun is used for, etc.
View Quote
It sounds like you're on the right track sticking with stock for now.  I shot a stock G19 with a Blade Tech Tek Lok Holster and mag pouches until I hit A class.  I then switched to a standard G17 (added Dillion Precision Fiber Optic), continued to use a Blade Tech, but switched to Safariland mag pouches on a ELS Safariland belt. I gifted myself a G34 from TTI when I made Master Class in production and bought a G34 Blade Tech holster, but kept everything else the same.  

I'm sure there's lots of guys that will give advice as to what a new shooter needs, but the biggest mistake you can make is to listen to them.  Too many guys look at gear as a solution, but TRAINING is the solution.  Most guys below A class (and even some A class) are not out shooting their gear.  When I hit A class, I started adding "accessories" to my pistol.  I started off with a Fiber Option sight and as I was about to make M, I did a trigger job on it.  

Learn to shoot matches with black sights and a standard trigger.  As a "reward" to yourself, add/modify ONE thing as you go up in class.  I went from B class to M in less than a year using that philosophy and Steve Anderson's Book "Refinement & Repetition".  I shot less that year, but dry-fired more.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Say10:

The ghost 360 mag carriers come with two pouches so you can run either way. One for forward and one for outward facing.
View Quote
Say10 is correct. When you get them they come with 2 bodies. I run bullets forward not bullets out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LostKeys45] [#8]
Originally Posted By Mark_Grey:
It sounds like you're on the right track sticking with stock for now.  I shot a stock G19 with a Blade Tech Tek Lok Holster and mag pouches until I hit A class.  I then switched to a standard G17 (added Dillion Precision Fiber Optic), continued to use a Blade Tech, but switched to Safariland mag pouches on a ELS Safariland belt. I gifted myself a G34 from TTI when I made Master Class in production and bought a G34 Blade Tech holster, but kept everything else the same.  

I'm sure there's lots of guys that will give advice as to what a new shooter needs, but the biggest mistake you can make is to listen to them.  Too many guys look at gear as a solution, but TRAINING is the solution.  Most guys below A class (and even some A class) are not out shooting their gear.  When I hit A class, I started adding "accessories" to my pistol.  I started off with a Fiber Option sight and as I was about to make M, I did a trigger job on it.  

Learn to shoot matches with black sights and a standard trigger.  As a "reward" to yourself, add/modify ONE thing as you go up in class.  I went from B class to M in less than a year using that philosophy and Steve Anderson's Book "Refinement & Repetition".  I shot less that year, but dry-fired more.
View Quote
Thank you for the tips. I agree about training. I shoot twice a month already and and planning on shooting two matches a month as long as my schedule allows it. I am a firearms instructor for my PD and attend classes on my own as well. Competition however is all new to me.

I want to be competitive but my priority is trying to find the balance of being competitive enough without developing different habits from my work set up. I plan on keeping the gun as stock as possible except for sights of course. Carry a 17 on duty and a 19 when working with 3 (and 4) letter agencies.

I have two belt rigs for work (one for patrol and one tactical) and will be using my tactical set up for USPSA so at least I will keep consistency there. Its an Esstac belt with their KYWI mag pouches (for both rifle and handgun but obviously won't be using the rifle pouch). The holster is on a safariland QLS system so for competition I will run my t-rex arms ragnarok 34 holster and for work I run a Safariland ALS and that's all i will have to swap out plus add a few more mag pouches. Think I will be fine with 4 or should I run 5?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Say10 is correct. When you get them they come with 2 bodies. I run bullets forward not bullets out.
View Quote
Excellent thanks guys. Those look like a good option. I plan on running the pouches and belt (Esstac) I have for now until I get good enough to determine if that is what is slowing me down or not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the tips. I agree about training. I shoot twice a month already and and planning on shooting two matches a month as long as my schedule allows it. I am a firearms instructor for my PD and attend classes on my own as well. Competition however is all new to me.

I want to be competitive but my priority is trying to find the balance of being competitive enough without developing different habits from my work set up. I plan on keeping the gun as stock as possible except for sights of course. Carry a 17 on duty and a 19 when working with 3 (and 4) letter agencies.

I have two belt rigs for work (one for patrol and one tactical) and will be using my tactical set up for USPSA so at least I will keep consistency there. Its an Esstac belt with their KYWI mag pouches (for both rifle and handgun but obviously won't be using the rifle pouch). The holster is on a safariland QLS system so for competition I will run my t-rex arms ragnarok 34 holster and for work I run a Safariland ALS and that's all i will have to swap out plus add a few more mag pouches. Think I will be fine with 4 or should I run 5?
View Quote
With your schedule you should be a GM in less than a year, if you Dry-Fire and Live-Fire the drills from Steve Anderson's book.  I shot my work rig almost the whole time, until A class.  I also load and unload, the way I teach, which is not the typical "competition" way.  If you're shooting production, I'd run 5 mags.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mark_Grey:

With your schedule you should be a GM in less than a year, if you Dry-Fire and Live-Fire the drills from Steve Anderson's book.  I shot my work rig almost the whole time, until A class.  I also load and unload, the way I teach, which is not the typical "competition" way.  If you're shooting production, I'd run 5 mags.
View Quote
GM is wishful thinking. My goal is A class for 2017 and M for next year.

Here's the stuff I already have. I'm sure eventually I will get more competition oriented stuff but for now it's the shooter not the gear that needs work. Crappy picture and my dog wasn't moving so there's some bonus legs in there.

G34 (100% stock)
Esstac belt
Esstac KYWI pouches

Obviously won't keep the AR mag on there. And yes I know my mags all have the same number on them.

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Solid.  

I would echo the 5 mags.  Most times 4 on the belt will do (one in the pocket for 'Make Ready') but you may flub a reload and drop a mag, so there you are.  

Also, my match this weekend had a stage where you started with the gun on a table and had to load from your belt.  That would put you a mag short and could mess up your stage plan on reloads.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CTjer:
Solid.  

I would echo the 5 mags.  Most times 4 on the belt will do (one in the pocket for 'Make Ready') but you may flub a reload and drop a mag, so there you are.  

Also, my match this weekend had a stage where you started with the gun on a table and had to load from your belt.  That would put you a mag short and could mess up your stage plan on reloads.
View Quote
If I take my rifle mag out I can throw my load and make ready mag in there if I keep the pouch on. Not ideal but it should get me through the first few matches at least.

Another question that came to mind is where do you start your hands for most stages? I know it's sometimes from relaxed ready or hands on barricade or surrender position, etc. But what is the most common starting position? I'm thinking if most of the time my hands will start above my waist I may want to use less of a drop on the holster.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Most stages are relaxed at sides.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:48:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casarez] [#15]
Originally Posted By CTjer:
Most stages are relaxed at sides.
View Quote
Edit: CTjer is right, the majority are hand relaxed at sides.

Starts I remember:

Hands relaxed at sides*
Hands above shoulders*
Hands on ears/bill of hat*
Hands on barrels (X marks the spot)
Hands on wall (X marks the spot)
Hands on knees (Sitting in chair**)

Other starts I have done:
Gun loaded on table/barrel
Gun unloaded on table (One mag allowed on table)
Gun unloaded on table, all mags to be used on stage on table (No belt draw)
Gun unloaded in holster*

* These can start facing downrange or uprange. You have to be careful on uprange ones not to break 180 rule on draw.
** Certain stages specify that you must have back against back of chair, others do not.

As a FYI for stages starting with gun on table/barrel unloaded this means you cannot have a mag with 11 in it for Production shooters like you can with loaded starts. Since stage begins with mag on table it cannot be more than 10.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Edit: CTjer is right, the majority are hand relaxed at sides.

Starts I remember:

Hands relaxed at sides*
Hands above shoulders*
Hands on ears/bill of hat*
Hands on barrels (X marks the spot)
Hands on wall (X marks the spot)
Hands on knees (Sitting in chair**)

Other starts I have done:
Gun loaded on table/barrel
Gun unloaded on table (One mag allowed on table)
Gun unloaded on table, all mags to be used on stage on table (No belt draw)
Gun unloaded in holster*

* These can start facing downrange or uprange. You have to be careful on uprange ones not to break 180 rule on draw.
** Certain stages specify that you must have back against back of chair, others do not.

As a FYI for stages starting with gun on table/barrel unloaded this means you cannot have a mag with 11 in it for Production shooters like you can with loaded starts. Since stage begins with mag on table it cannot be more than 10.
View Quote
Excellent info thank you. I copy and pasted that into my running log of drills to practice.

Maybe I should change the title of the thread to "share your tips here" seeing as how no one is posting pics of their rigs. Would still like to see people's different set ups for different divisions, and videos. I think analyzing how other people shoot can be beneficial. Everything from footwork and stage planning is important in competition so I'm trying to see as many examples as possible (yes I have watched a shit ton on YouTube. I just like the feedback and follow up I can get from you experienced folks here).
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]

If I take my rifle mag out I can throw my load and make ready mag in there if I keep the pouch on. Not ideal but it should get me through the first few matches at least.

Another question that came to mind is where do you start your hands for most stages? I know it's sometimes from relaxed ready or hands on barricade or surrender position, etc. But what is the most common starting position? I'm thinking if most of the time my hands will start above my waist I may want to use less of a drop on the holster.
View Quote
each time an R.O. says this to me, I tell him surrender is not an option. "Fine...hands up, dont shoot." LOL.
Usually gets the watchers involved at that point, because......fun.

You wanted some pics, here they are...

Just picked up the Shadow 2, only thing done is 11# recoil spring, and 13LB hammer spring.
3.3# S/A, 10LB D/A (its much lighter than it sounds, LOL)

SP-01 Cajunized, 3# S/A, and 8'sh D/A.
Attachment Attached File

Rig:
Holster is the only thing NOT Black Scorpion. Holster is a Ben Stoeger BOSS setup.
Will work for both pistols, however the SP-01 CompTac will NOT work with the Shadow 2......go figure.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TruckinAR] [#18]
I have no idea how I duped my own img....

I always get a kick out of how we start.

Pretty much above has nailed it, except I have heard, must start from Chair, not sitting, just "from Chair"....that left some good debate.

We have steel matches once a week month and the "discussion" on how many pop marks always makes me laugh.

I am still fairly new, I think I am about to hit my 12th match (3 USPSA matches, +8 Local) this coming weekend, and only started this about 4- 5 months ago.

I run Production, minor, D.
Pretty sure I chose the hardest f'n way to start this crap, BUT, I am making progress as a competitor.
I usually finish below the 50% mark, 27th out of 45, or 21st out of 36, etc.
This weekend was no difference, except I finished my last stage of the day 11th overall.
But, 25th out of 37 shooters. Hey, I wasn't dead last

Did come in 2nd in Production......there were two of us.....and I beat him on stage 4  

Last Wed's match I came in   42nd out of 69.....thats PCC, OPEN, etc.. Everybody.
I think I came in 25th out of 45 shooters that were in my class.
I have fun at them all and keep moving up in my scores.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LostKeys45] [#19]
Finally had my first match today. Did better than I thought I would and learned a lot, especially about stage planning. Placed 8 of 19 in my division (production). I shot an all stock Glock 34 but I did have Talon grips on it. I already ordered some Dawson's as all my other Glocks have blacked out rears with a high viz front sight.

If it wasn't for my very first stage I would have placed even better. Had to start with all mags on a barrel and the worst part was I had to shoot it second! The guy before me was garbage so it didn't help watching him haha. Hell of a first stage. Forgot to shoot a target. But after that stage I was super happy with how i shot.

Needless to say I'm hooked now. Already signed up for the next match. I will be shooting a match every other weekend

Edit to add: I placed 34 of 57 overall including open, PCC, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
and that is how the $400 a month ammoes bill starts

I really could have a 2018 econobox if I did not buy 1K of ammo a month, 3-5 matches a month, a new bang device every 3 months

If my bonus does not allow me to get something fun, i get all pissy
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:
and that is how the $400 a month ammoes bill starts

I really could have a 2018 econobox if I did not buy 1K of ammo a month, 3-5 matches a month, a new bang device every 3 months

If my bonus does not allow me to get something fun, i get all pissy
View Quote
Ain't that the truth.

I keep wondering why I can't buy a new truck.   Oh yeah, i shoot all my money down range.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
3-gun is my typical game but the last few range trips have been brushing up for the Daniel Defense ARC match and NRA 2-Gun side match at the NRA High Power Nationals at Atterbury.

9mm 2011

Home built AR with JP parts where it matters and a Vortex Razor 1-6.

Safariland GLS Pro-Fit holster for retention that doesn't impede the draw stroke.   Not even sure what kind of mag carriers I am using.  

Shooter's Connection inner/outer belt.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top