Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
I have been shooting a Para 1640 limited in USPSA LTD major since the beginning of the year. I am an amateur competitor with the typical family and bills that come along with it. I am finding it difficult paying for 1200-1500 rounds a month of 40S&W. I can afford it, but it is at my limit. I can’t do other shooting because of it.

I am thinking of selling the Para and get a new 9mm that is more affordable to shoot. I could save enough shooting 9mm at the current prices to save up to get a Dillon later. I am thinking of shooting Carry Optics. CO is all minor, so I would not have a handicap in scoring and I could still use 140mm mags.

I reload rifle, but don’t want to get a Dillon at this time.

Which from the list below, most likely with a Vortex Viper, would you suggest? I currently have a S&W M&P 9 pro from 2010 that I use in 3 gun with 15 mags.

My choices are
1.Canik TP9SFx 9mm, <$500, plus a red dot and a 2 more mags. <$800 total
2.S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5”. <$500 plus red dot (& mount), upgrades and 5 mag extensions. <$1100 total
3.Walther Q5, <$850, plus a red dot, 2 more mags and 5 mag extensions. ~$1500 total
4.Post other suggestions
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, I'd recommend that you spring for a quality optic.  I've personally had great luck with DeltaPoint Pro's, but others have used other brands with good success.  A few people I know have started with one of the lower end Vortex dots, then quickly upgrade for one reason or another.

You'll also probably want at least one mag extension for the Canik.  I think those mags hold 20, but having at least one mag that will hold 22+ can be very handy.  I'm of the opinion that you don't need all of your mags to have extensions.  Having 2 or 3 is nice, but you shouldn't need more than that for any given stage.  If it comes down to it, I would take money out of extensions and put it toward an optic.

I'm currently in a similar dilemma, as far as what platform to use.  I picked up a G17 MOS several months ago and planned on using it, but the TP9SFX and the Q5 have intrigued me for a while.  I shot one match with the G17 (and plan on using it in a GSSF match coming up), but I won a Q5 in a raffle last week (haven't received it yet).  I've also got a friend that just picked up a TP9SFX.  We're going to get together and compare them all as soon as we get a chance.  I don't particularly have any interest in the M&P.  I've owned a couple and they're nice, I just prefer other guns for competition.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casarez] [#2]
CZ Shadow SP-01 with Leupold DPP?

https://czcustom.com/s-i-rds-plate-cut-and-plate.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep the Para and get a 650.  I'm reloading .40 for around 11 cents a round.  I will NEVER go back to minor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Keep the Para and get a 650.  I'm reloading .40 for around 11 cents a round.  I will NEVER go back to minor.
View Quote
All carry optics shooters are minor.

So, I will be shooting 9mm in CO. No advantage or disadvantage shooting 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I was saying stick to Limited.  You already have the gear.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Of your choices I would say m&p 2.0.
Also look at the Glock or Sig p320
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock ll and don't look back
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're trying to be budget conscious save some money on the gun and upgrade the optic, of what you have there, Canick but DPP. Bigger window, yeah with a good index the dot should be there, life's imperfect and those imperfections start compounding when you're running against a clock.

I'm using a Viper with a 6moa dot on a milled G17, it's not awful I really like how low it is over the bore, however if I did it again I'd likely get a DPP with a 7.5moa, and mill the slide of a CZ or clone with a steel frame.

If you're really just looking at money savings get in the reloading game, no reason to change divisions. Get a Lee setup and be aggravated occasionally for while until you can upgrade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top