Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2013 3:29:32 PM EDT
I am looking to get into precision, long range shooting. I have two rifles picked out and would like some input on them.
I am going to go with Remington and would like to keep the price reasonable. I will also be putting a suppressor on it eventually.
My two choices right now are the:

Remington SPS Tactical AAC-SD

and the

Remington Mil-spec 5R

For expense reasons I am keeping it at the .308 level. I like the SPS because it is pre-threaded and extremely reasonably priced. However I prefer the longer barrel and the stock that comes on the 5R. Let me know what your experience or opinion is!
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By rws8244:
I am looking to get into precision, long range shooting. I have two rifles picked out and would like some input on them.
I am going to go with Remington and would like to keep the price reasonable. I will also be putting a suppressor on it eventually.

and the

Remington Mil-spec 5R

For expense reasons I am keeping it at the .308 level. I like the SPS because it is pre-threaded and extremely reasonably priced. However I prefer the longer barrel and the stock that comes on the 5R. Let me know what your experience or opinion is!

Try posting in the Precision Rifle forum for more responses (if you haven't already). http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/5_.html

You're going to want to replace the stock on the SPS pretty quickly, it sucks. Lots of flex (I had one). So figure that into the cost.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
How far is your definition of long range? 1,000 yards? I personally like the 5R better, but if your wanting to be more price concerned the SPS is a good rifle to start with. You can start with it and when you have the money modify it with a new/ better stock, optics, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You can also get the 5R with a 20 inch threaded barrel.  

Originally Posted By rws8244:

and the

Remington Mil-spec 5R

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the AAC. It is an accurate rifle that you can learn on. The difference between hits and misses at distance will most definately not be related to the barrel difference between the two and the $300 savings will goo more training components.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
5R. The ones that I've seen come through my school have consistently been better shooters than the other Remington models. Additionally, the barrel in the 5R tends to clean up faster and easier than the other Remingtons.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 11:13:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DSand] [#6]
I agree with cmshoot ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100%
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 11:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#7]
Shop around.  You can find good, lightly used Remington 700 Varmint (with the HS Stock) or 700 Police rifles that are good starter rifles.

I upgraded this 700 Varmint in stages.  It had a Jewell HV-R trigger and now has a CG X-treme Model 22.  I had a gunsmith set back the factory barrel and bed it into the stock.  It has a Blackheart International titanium speed firing pin kit.  I eventually added the Surefire brake and Tactical Rifle bottom metal to take AI magazines.

This is a 100-yard, ten-shot group using hand loads and the 10X scope in the above photo:

I've shot this rifle out to 1100-1200 yards.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a bit jaded but if you can afford it the 5r is a better rifle IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top