Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2020 1:58:51 AM EDT
What's your favorite Match Gun Sling?

I've got a brand new R1 to start up and all my slings are plain old Service Rifle style.

No matches for a while, so I thought I may as well use the down time to get that rig ready for the winter season.

What is your favorite, or even which ones have you tried that you hated?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Turner biothane
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Either my own M1907 make, or a hybrid of one of the Swede M41 sniper/FSR slings with some Parker Hale influence added to the mix

One of the advantages of being a leatherworker is not being stuck with someone else's bad designs - I can make my own bad designs instead
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:07:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#3]
Thanks Tweeter, Saddler, but...

I've been running Service Rifle recently and have a bunch of regular service types, what I am looking for now is the Match Gun slings.

The Service Rifle Rules limit the sling, but the Match Gun is not limited. For example, some of the ancient ones I have incorporate a wide plastic cuff. That wouldn't be allowed in Service Rifle.

The idea is to see what guys who are active now in Mid Range and Long Range sling class are running on their unlimited match guns.

I will run my Turner Biothane slings till I hear better from the forum since I won't be at a match for a couple of months where I can try my friend's slings.

Till then, I will use what I have and order what the forum recommends.

Again, thanks for trying to help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Creedmoor ISU Pulley Sling

I also use a trick Mid Tompkins taught me: attach the sling to a quick-release post ~3" forward of the handstop.  That allows the sling tension to be adjusted independently from height; the forward post's position is adjusted for tension and the handstop moves to set the height of the position.  An added benefit is that the sling isn't wrapped as tightly around the hand so pain/numbness is reduced or eliminated.  The tricks allowed a match rifle are wonderful!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:41:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#5]
I’ve been using the Mec sling with the Mec Connect attached to my coat since about 2013 or so.  Before that, I had a Tubb Heartbreaker, a John Weller Match sling, a CC with the super wide cuff, and a couple others that I can’t remember.  The Mec with the Connect is really great in that it locks the sling from moving rotationally on your arm as well as up and down.  You can set it up to pull from the inside, outside, or center of your support arm to help manage  pulse.  It’s ridiculously expensive for sling, but considering that I’ve been using it for 7 years at hundreds of matches plus a crapload of practice, I guess the price works out ok.  I keep a brand new one set up and ready to go in the trunk of my car for the day that this one finally breaks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
@erud, I sent you an IM

Can't find much on Mec slings.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Tubb heartbreaker that I've used for years.

Last year, I got this Gehmann 437 sling after seeing Hugo Adelson with it at the 2017 or 18 NRA Nationals.

It took a little bit to get it figured out, but once set up, my pulse movement generally keeps the crosshair center dot within the spotter at 600 yards with the scope at 20x.  A little less movement than I had with the Tubb sling in prone slow.

I still use the Tubb sling at 200 rapid (sometimes 300 rapid, but I've been moving to the 437 for all prone) as it's a little faster for me to get set up.  That's sometimes important when your relay goes from offhand right into sitting and you've burned up a bunch of time.  

https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=96&kategorie=7

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks @DarkStar45

I ordered a few slings to try and the MEC that @erud pointed out is very close to the Gehmann you show. It has those nice tight hole spacings and a threaded thumbwheel adjustment for length that can be adjusted while in position.

I will have to wait on the leather one from Eric Hollis, but I have already played with the MEC just a little. The whole rig is new (Elesio UMR in 6 Dasher), so I won't have a reference frame with this rig for comparison.

At the 600 yard line I can still see distance well enough to judge my hold in Service Rifle, but as you know that is relatively low mag. I will see how things look at 24X or 36X soon enough and let you know.

Again, many thanks to all who chimed in. I appreciate the pointers. This stuff is always rare advice unless you are on the match lines and with all this quarantine, hard to say when that will happen again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top