Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2018 10:56:35 PM EDT
I know enough to be dangerous but other than that I have no idea what is even out there or what I should be looking at.

In the military, and later DoD contracting, I received the basic first aid/trauma training everyone receives as well as CLS prior to deploying to Afghanistan. That seems like an eternity ago, and while I know the basics and can put a TQ on anyone, apply a chest seal and know what to/not to do. However, I wanted to sharpen my skills (or lack of) because I am in the process of operating an adventure tour that involves a lot of live fire as well as being out in the desert a decent distance from civilization. If anything should happen, calling the ambulance won't be the easiest thing to do so I wanted to be prepared for anything that could happen as best as I could. I'm sure the liability insurance company wouldn't frown on this either.

From looking online, seems for me not being an EMS or having any actual medical training, some sort of TCCC course would probably be what I'm looking for. Are they all created equal? Are there 'certified' courses or something to look for as far as it being a legit course as opposed to just some random, non certified course?

I'm open to anything. I searched on the Red Cross' site and all that seems to come up within 100 miles of my area are basic CPR courses. What else should I be looking at and where?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
St George area.

I don't need a bachelors degree or the ability to perform brain surgery, but I also wasn't looking for a basic bullshit 'watch this slide show and get your certificate' thing either.

When looking at the TCCC coarse, some seemed to be 2 days all the way to 7 days (40+ hours). I'd have no issue with that at all.

I was interested in other types of coarses like the Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid as well, but doesn't seem to be offered anywhere within 500 miles of me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#3]
NOLS Wilderness First Aid

Bleeding Control - that’s going to stuff you’ve already done but maybe it’ll be a good refresher?

The only issue with some of the TCCC type courses is they’re going to spend time on subjects like Care Under Fire and other things that HOPEFULLY won’t apply to you. medicmandan may have some better local leads for you as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bagofcrabs65] [#4]
https://www.bleedingcontrol.org

You can find a free 1 hour class near you that will give you training and information in simple ways to control bleeding.

It’s a a basic class that will give you enough knowledge to not kill someone and provide care.

ETA: guy above made a link as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned Stop the Bleed is a free refresher.

CERT is also FREE and includes basic medical as well as other training:

Medical Operations Part I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
Medical Operations Part II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area and performing basic first aid.
View Quote
CPR/AED is offered just about everywhere.  It's sometimes free through employers.

TCCC is valuable training, and much more up to date than CLS.

EMT training may be available at a local community college for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Like you, I did quite a bit if CLS/ military common task level medical training while I was still enlisted.
As a LEO we need to stay certified on basic first aid and CPR.
I'm doing a two day wilderness first aid class next month to brush up on my skillset, since its been a while since I did anything more than basic first aid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilderness first responder here.  Also currently taking an EMT course and in the end provided I dont forget to verbalize for my psychomotor exam and pass my cognitive exam I will be NREMT and WEMT certified.  The WFR is kind of the minimum for taking groups into remote environments.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VillageIdiot2] [#8]
Take a local EMT course at your Com. College. Its a two day a week commitment for roughly five months, back that with a TCCC course and you should be golden.
The medical side of the course will carry with you, recognizing strokes and MI's, heat exhaustion/stroke to common splinting. You can even try and contact your local hospitals EMS coordinator and ask to attend any CE's they might have coming up. Lot of knowledge packed into those courses, but you may have to be certified as an E before you can attend. In some states EMTs allow IV's in their Scope, which would be helpful if your in BFE but you'll probably have to be under a medical director for that. Then again having those skills and providing under your Scope of practice might save you under the good Samaritan laws but thats dicey.

If I was you, going into to that field, honestly an EMT cert would be a good start.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
A lot of companies in AZ provide a wilderness first aid course, which is one of my favorites since they teach you to work with the basics and improvise basic splints etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top