Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2018 1:50:14 PM EDT
I'm a senior in high school I haven't had the chance to get into any combat sports. I don't have the money for classes around me. I have access to a heavy bag, speed bag and a basic gym. Is there a way for me to learn the basics of some openhanded skills. I have never been a very good fighter. I understand I won't be able to become very advanced, but I would like to learn some basics until I can afford classes. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M16A4] [#1]
Join the wrestling team.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I could but we are homeschooled. So that rules out that idea. That is probably the one thing I wish I could do in the public school.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
At least in my state, homeschoolers can and do join the public school sports teams in their town. All of my BILs kids played sports on the local high school team and none of them ever spent a day in one of the school's classrooms.
Look into it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll throw out two suggestions if wrestling doesn't pan out.

Find an MMA gym with individual classes in clinch work, jiu-jitsu, and striking and attend regularly. If it's any good, you'll learn wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and Muay Thai on a basic level that should serve you well if you ever need it.

Find a stand alone jiu-jitsu gym, watch that they work stand-up/takedowns and vet the hell out of the instructor. Train regularly and maybe throw in some striking or padwork once you get some basics down.

Bottom line, any competition based, non-consensual, martial art will give you a piece of the puzzle. If you observe a few classes and don't see some form of sparring or rolling after a class or two, run away and find somewhere that does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea I would eventually like to but the nearest classes are almost a hour away. I'm saving for classes at the local tech so the time and money I would be spending for BJJ classes isn't possible. I was wondering if there are basic drills and techniques I can practice kinda like dry-firing a firearm. I understand it won't be very effective without a teacher or sparing I just want to learn some basic footwork or punches. I really use I a lot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have anyone to train with in your area? While not ideal you could learn a thing or two through video and working with a partner. Start slow and don't break anything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Gracie University
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Join the USMC.  They'll teach you all the skills you want to learn and pay you to do it.  Plus they have some really neat guns and equipment you will learn to operate too!
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By arjim:
Join the USMC.  They'll teach you all the skills you want to learn and pay you to do it.  Plus they have some really neat guns and equipment you will learn to operate too!
View Quote
... and help pay for your collage education when you get out :)

General conditioning is a key part of martial arts training. Be sure to add leg stretches to your training program (splits). That should get you primed for when your can get funds for a Krav class.

Do activities that give you a good cardio workout; running, bike riding, swimming, etc. If your out of shape you will loose the fight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NC_PI] [#11]
You got an excuse for everything.  No money, to far away.  Blah blah blah......Really?  How bad do you want it?  Find a buddy and train via youtube, its better than nothing..  20 years ago, there wasn't a BJJ school on every corner and MMA was limited to the local armory hosting no holds barred fights.   We used to learn arm bars from Black Belt Magazine.  When the first VCR tape came out, Craig Kukuk-Renzo Gracie was released, we literally melted the tape playing it over and over, in our home gym on tumbling mats.  We thought we were in heaven.

I got an easy answer for you, join the military.   They will pay you to train and not the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:
Gracie University
View Quote
I bought the Gracie Bulletproof DVDs to teach my sons (6 and 3).  My 6 year old loves it and wants to "play" every night.  My 3 year old isn't interested yet.  My oldest liked it so much that we found a Gracie school that he is now attending.  All of the other kids there have much more experience, but the 2 months of Gracie Bulleyproof gave him the basics needed to keep up.  I'd recommend it to anyone considering learning jiu jitsu.  It isn't a replacement to attending a class, but it will teach a solid foundation so you won't be lost when you do start attending one.  Just using the DVDs will put you light years ahead of someone who doesn't know bjj.

At your age, the Combatives DVD might be a better fit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:

I bought the Gracie Bulletproof DVDs to teach my sons (6 and 3).  My 6 year old loves it and wants to "play" every night.  My 3 year old isn't interested yet.  My oldest liked it so much that we found a Gracie school that he is now attending.  All of the other kids there have much more experience, but the 2 months of Gracie Bulleyproof gave him the basics needed to keep up.  I'd recommend it to anyone considering learning jiu jitsu.  It isn't a replacement to attending a class, but it will teach a solid foundation so you won't be lost when you do start attending one.  Just using the DVDs will put you light years ahead of someone who doesn't know bjj.

At your age, the Combatives DVD might be a better fit.
View Quote
That is solid advice brother.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Just wanted to give an update on the "get both" method.  My son learns techniques better from the Gracie DVDs because there is a set curriculum and repetition.  In class they learn one or two techniques in each class, but never go back and review them.  Young kids don't learn much this way.  What he does learn in class is how to spar.  I was discouraged for the first few weeks of class, because he looked completely clueless sparring.  He wasn't even trying any of the techniques that he's done hundreds of times at home.  Something clicked for him last week and I could tell that he was thinking about what to do.  Now all of the techniques that he has learned from the Bullyproof videos are really paying off.  He went from losing every match (literally) for the first month of class, to winning most and holding his own in those that he loses.

Sorry if I am rambling like a proud parent, but I firmly believe that the Gracie DVD's are an excellent way to get started.  And I also have seen the benefit of class.  In my son's case, they are a perfect compliment to one another.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Study like you're supposed to, lift weights, chase girls, and just enjoy being a kid. There's plenty of opportunity waiting for you out there when you get there. You don't need to live life in a day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top