Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2016 8:58:49 PM EDT
I reload 9 and 45 and really didn't want to load another caliber but alas, I guess it's not to be. I've been running an XDM 9 with a Powder River trigger in limited and feel the need to step up to Major, so 40 it is. I'm not a Glock fan so I am seriously considering the XDM Competition in 40. The mags hold 16 and with extensions I guess they can hold 18 or 19. Would this be a viable option or is it still lacking in capacity compared to Akai and 2011's? I know the really cool stuff is awsome but over $100 mags vs. $26 is part of this too and I don't think I'd dig an exposed hammer and safety gun.
Thoughts aappreciated
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
18 or 19 should be fine I get 19 in my glock.  Also at Level ones I mostly look at the overall as I shoot SS and I beat limited guys all the time  if you look at class I do very well against c class limited as Im c class SS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered the CZ Tactical Sport?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
I reload 9 and 45 and really didn't want to load another caliber but alas, I guess it's not to be. I've been running an XDM 9 with a Powder River trigger in limited and feel the need to step up to Major, so 40 it is. I'm not a Glock fan so I am seriously considering the XDM Competition in 40. The mags hold 16 and with extensions I guess they can hold 18 or 19. Would this be a viable option or is it still lacking in capacity compared to Akai and 2011's? I know the really cool stuff is awsome but over $100 mags vs. $26 is part of this too and I don't think I'd dig an exposed hammer and safety gun.
Thoughts aappreciated
View Quote

Going to major PF will give a significant benefit. Capacity is an insignificant advantage. Most stages there is more than enough options for reloads in a stage with 15 round or more magazines. The lower cost and reliability of a XDM or Glock will be and advantage. Spend the money savings on ammo and stick to a productive dry and live fire practice routine and you will beat guys running $2000 pistols.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:

Going to major PF will give a significant benefit. Capacity is an insignificant advantage. Most stages there is more than enough options for reloads in a stage with 15 round or more magazines. The lower cost and reliability of a XDM or Glock will be and advantage. Spend the money savings on ammo and stick to a productive dry and live fire practice routine and you will beat guys running $2000 pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Thoughts aappreciated

I'm pretty sure we've shot some of the same matches, yeah the point penalties are probably more than I've realized but at least the 9 got me started. I won't beat those guys with 2K$ pistols but I want to see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Have you considered the CZ Tactical Sport?
View Quote

TS Orange.

Tanfo Limited is another option.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
if I could not have my 2011

I'd probably get a 5" M&P Pro, add a magwell, and APEX trigger job, some mag extensions and go play.

The trigger on a custom 2011 is hard to beat

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]

If you go with an xdm 40, shoot me a message. I have some mags left over from when I had one. Four with dawson bases 20rds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#9]
another good budget 40cal Limted gun might be a CZ P-09 with Cajun gunworks trigger kit,  Dawson sights, and a magwell, and extended basepads

This thing feels a lot like a 1911/2011

I paid $386

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
All steel gun with a good trigger. 2011 would be my first.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Thoughts aappreciated
View Quote

Another way to look at costs...

If you're getting into it, and you reload and shoot a decent amount... (~10k rds/year) then really the gun/mags is the cheaper part of the equation.  In a couple years (+/- as there are so many variables to how much you shoot) you will out-shoot the cost of your gun.  With any significant time added, you will spend more on ammo, match fees, and travel than on your weapon of choice.  So pick what will be FUN for you and you will want to shoot.  Then shoot the heck out of it and make sure you have fun.  It's too much $$$ and effort to not have fun
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot your 45 in L10, you will probably win that division every week.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]
This may or may not be useful but...

My two cents is shoot what you have until you are ready to get the right gun for the job.

Your gun is great for production. Shoot that.
If you want to go LTD major, 2011 is THE way to go. You could do Glock or XD or M&P or CZ but you will probably still want for more.

I shoot at a large range with a lot of new shooter activity. Many take your approach and buy multiple guns before winding up with a 2011.  Not a thing wrong with it but cheaper in the long run to buy once cry once.

But let's not kid ourselves, we will all keep buying guns. Get what makes you happy until you buy another.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#14]
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but what is it that you hope to gain by shooting USPSA?

Do you have a goal or goals set up?

Or are you just shooting for fun?

This is just my opinion...and it won't be a popular one in this subforum, but $2,000 plus $100 mags is a lot to shell out for just bragging rights, and at most a $15 trophy from a major match.

Nobody from USPSA is ever going to end up on the front of a Wheaties box.

If you just want to shoot...have fun...and socialize...then...well, yeah, that's different.

EDIT:  I used to be a match director.  I had an epiphany a few years ago when I realized I was carpooling 3 hours one way for a " local match ", stood around and BS'ed for probably another 3 hours at the match, and then carpooled another 3 hours back home to do what?  Maybe a minute to two minutes worth of shooting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but what is it that you hope to gain by shooting USPSA?

Do you have a goal or goals set up?

Or are you just shooting for fun?

This is just my opinion...and it won't be a popular one in this subforum, but $2,000 plus $100 mags is a lot to shell out for just bragging rights, and at most a $15 trophy from a major match.

Nobody from USPSA is ever going to end up on the front of a Wheaties box.

If you just want to shoot...have fun...and socialize...then...well, yeah, that's different.

EDIT:  I used to be a match director.  I had an epiphany a few years ago when I realized I was carpooling 3 hours one way for a " local match ", stood around and BS'ed for probably another 3 hours at the match, and then carpooled another 3 hours back home to do what?  Maybe a minute to two minutes worth of shooting.

View Quote

Yet here you are.  

We've all heard (several times) how you grew disillusioned and burnt out of USPSA.  "I was an MD!"  blah blah blah

How about you just butt out if you don't have anything to say that's responsive to the question of the OP or otherwise constructive?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, still using the same gun
That CZ TS is looking like a reasonable option.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Derek45:
another good budget 40cal Limted gun might be a CZ P-09 with Cajun gunworks trigger kit,  Dawson sights, and a magwell, and extended basepads

This thing feels a lot like a 1911/2011

I paid $386

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/CZ/czp-09cajun_zpsrwiyufak.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/CZ/czp-09caj3_zps7htf6fmq.jpg
View Quote
I shoot a G35 in USPSA to make major. My EDC is a glock 26 and my HD pistol is a G17. I only use the G35 because my other guns are glocks. For some reason I dont shoot the G35 very well. I shoot the G26 and G17 fine. If i didnt use glock as my "real" guns, i would probably be using a CZ in .40 for USPSA. But, I feel I should shoot a glock under pressure to try to get better, only bc my other guns are glocks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glorifiedG] [#18]
Thanks for the reply
After thinking CZ
It seems some 2011 variant is probably the final destination.
ETA : it seems to me the advantage of the 2011 is weight and trigger
What else because it's not magazine price or availability
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top