Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2017 9:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smitty_007]
I want to start using the USPSA cardboard targets for practice.  Can someone direct me to the best place to buy some from?!

Also, any good beginner competition shooting routines would be awesome!

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I found a company on like that makes a template - I make my own and draw the scoring lines on it.

Then I make a paster out of paper grocery bags - lay it flat and cut up the middle then two cuts at the bottom to open up the head.

Cheap easy and quick

Red
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Target Barn

Action Target

Targets.net

A few places to start
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:45:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xXGearheadXx] [#3]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
I want to start using the USPSA cardboard targets for practice.  Can someone direct me to the best place to buy some from?!

Also, any good beginner competition shooting routines would be awesome!

Thank you
View Quote
Ben Stoeger pro shop sells the scaled targets that a good for dry fire.  I have a bunch of these taped to the walls inside my house.

Shooters Connection sells the full sized targets.

For dry fire, work lots of draw, spin draw, and step draw.  (you'll rarely use a regular hands at the sides draw at a match....most of the time you'll be taking 1 or more steps into a shooting position before shooting).  Standing reloads are good, then work a 2 step reload.   I can't emphasize reloading enough (unless you're shooting open, in which it's still important but not as much so).  Even if you're shooting limited having a good on-command reload will shave several seconds off your total time over the course of a match....even more so if you're shooting prod or SS.

For live fire, work lots of distance (20-30yd shots) as it will make the close stuff easy.  Don't neglect the close stuff (7-15yds) though....you need to be able to shoot very quickly (.16-.18 splits) and transition quickly up close too.  Blake drills and accelerator are great for this.

Work a good bit with hard cover/no shoots and learn your limits there.

Moving and shooting....forwards, backwards, side to side.

steel if you have access to it.

work moving into, and out of, shooting positions with the gun up shooting.  It's all about footwork and efficiency.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:56:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xXGearheadXx] [#4]
deleted
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xXGearheadXx:

Ben Stoeger pro shop sells the scaled targets that a good for dry fire.  I have a bunch of these taped to the walls inside my house.

Shooters Connection sells the full sized targets.

For dry fire, work lots of draw, spin draw, and step draw.  (you'll rarely use a regular hands at the sides draw at a match....most of the time you'll be taking 1 or more steps into a shooting position before shooting).  Standing reloads are good, then work a 2 step reload.   I can't emphasize reloading enough (unless you're shooting open, in which it's still important but not as much so).  Even if you're shooting limited having a good on-command reload will shave several seconds off your total time over the course of a match....even more so if you're shooting prod or SS.

For live fire, work lots of distance (20-30yd shots) as it will make the close stuff easy.  Don't neglect the close stuff (7-15yds) though....you need to be able to shoot very quickly (.16-.18 splits) and transition quickly up close too.  Blake drills and accelerator are great for this.

Work a good bit with hard cover/no shoots and learn your limits there.

Moving and shooting....forwards, backwards, side to side.

steel if you have access to it.

work moving into, and out of, shooting positions with the gun up shooting.  It's all about footwork and efficiency.
View Quote
Good advice.  Can't stress shooting and moving enough.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Need more targets myself.   Shipping sucks on those.

I did just get a bunch of steel to use though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CTjer:

View Quote
You're going to pay just under $.90 a piece shipped for 100 no matter where you order them from.

100 targets will last a looong time though.  Still on my first box two seasons later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
You're going to pay just under $.90 a piece shipped for 100 no matter where you order them from.

100 targets will last a looong time though.  Still on my first box two seasons later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Originally Posted By CTjer:

Yeah, I know.    I probably used 25/30 all season thus far and for the last 16 weeks or so I’ve had a couple buddies shooting with me EVERY Friday.

I guess i just gotta bite the bullet on that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all!

Are these a decent deal?
Midway USPSA Targets
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all!

Are these a decent deal?
Midway USPSA Targets
View Quote
Just under $.90 a piece shipped - for 100.  Good as any.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy one - use it as a template and cut out your own....

Red
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you in eastern OR? Next time you're in the Caldwell/Boise area, call MGM and buy directly from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Azygos:
Are you in eastern OR? Next time you're in the Caldwell/Boise area, call MGM and buy directly from them.
View Quote
Naw, Western...but good to know
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
They're a great group of people. I'm a tiny ticket customer, just a handful of barricade & target stands over the years plus cardboard targets, but everyone at MGM has made me feel like they want my business.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]

They're a great group of people. I'm a tiny ticket customer, just a handful of barricade & target stands over the years plus cardboard targets, but everyone at MGM has made me feel like they want my business.
View Quote
That’s awesome to hear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top