Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2013 9:12:48 AM EDT
I am looking for any and all info on "tube ranges" - - - DNR wants me to put in a 500 yd tube range and they are willing to help with he cost but no one seems to have any good info on specs.

They say I need 18" to 24" concrete or steel tubes so that the shooter cannot see over the backstop or see the side berms - - - theory is even with a total mess up the round cannot escape.  Idea sounds good to me but I need help.

I am contacting NRA and I'm sure they will respond but I like to gather as much info as possible before I spend money.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 9:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#2]
The tube does not need to be 500 yards.  It needs to be long enough to allow ricochets to deflect and throw the shrapnel down range.  The shooter can have as little as a 24 inch wide pipe fixed at the bench (maybe 50 feet long) with only the muzzle in the tube (you dont want the action in there, it gets real loud real fast).
There was something similar to what you describe at Cannon AFB in the late 70s and early 80s.  There was a gong at the other end; shots were instantly confirmed.  I saw another one (on private land) that was the same way, but much longer than Cannons, the lane was walled up with 'jersy barriers' 3 high and bermed up with earth on the outside.  Angled metal plated every so often kept zingers from flying out the top.
I am thinking (off the cuff, so dont flame too hard if this doesnot work out...) that if you had the first 50-75 meters or so of the lane built as described above, and then the last 20 meters or so at the target built, chain link could take up the rest, just to keep critters/people/whatever from wandering into the lane.  The initial tube will keep the boolit frags going in the right direction.  Unless there is a balloon or egg factory right next to the lane, everything should be fine.
Anyone been to the range at Cannon lately?
Edit: "The Tube Range" gay bar name

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 9:43:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: truculenity] [#3]
a local range near me uses corrugated steel pipe placed in the berm @ 100 yards, beyond that the targets are placed @ 200 yards with a small berm behind them, This is a very simple exercise in trigonometry or using CAD.

Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Wonder if we're thinking about the same place

http://www.shoalriver.com/riflerange.html

The bench is positioned so that the barrel goes in the pipe, but the action is well outside.
It's still a very horrendous sound, but if it raises safety to a level that folks are willing to endorse it....then by all means.
Having a range is far better than, not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for update
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
They are getting common here in the UK due to them being "no Danger Area" ranges - plus the noise signature for residents in the vicinity is massively reduced...

I find them a good range to use for getting absolute zero - plus for reload group testing, etc

Link Posted: 8/17/2013 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
There was a thread here a year or so ago with that type of range being used by the Swiss. Very slick setup. Theirs included video camera scopes and electronic scoring. I think the tube was lined with noise reduction material also.

found it. Skip to 1:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nf1OgV449g
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top