Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2020 9:41:41 PM EDT
With the lack of ammo in stores, what are instructors doing for their class, that require a few hundred rounds?  We have a class coming up, that will require each shooter to have 250 rounds for the CCW fire arm.  Finding 50 rounds here is a joke!!!  The range we use, does not allow reloaded ammo for training classes.  Being in Alaska, adds another challenge to get ammo here!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Under the circumstances, I’d use reloads in factory boxes and say fuck the range... that’s just me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Salad days = ammo fort

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Salad days = ammo fort

YMMV
View Quote

Agreed, but not everyone thought that far ahead.  Plus, with all of the guns being sold, we are seeing an uptick in training request!
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately it seems to me that the people without the foresight will be out of luck. Unless maybe they have friends or family who planned ahead and are willing to part w ammo as gift or "normal" prices. I have a friend that needed ammo and I offered to him what I paid, not the going panic rate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
$30 for a FFL 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition for Firearms Other Than Ammunition for Destructive Devices or Armor Piercing Ammunition)

Also will need State Business License and Liability Insurance.

FFL application pdf

Not sure how long it would take for ATF to do the paperwork and approve a person.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Ask around for empty factory boxes and fill them with your reloads nobody actually gives a shit. They just don't want the liability of okaying reloads. I have never even been asked about my ammo or had them look at my ammo. You could probably just throw loos rds in your bag and no one would care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
There really is no good answer.  Being in Alaska, you have it even harder.  Back in 2013 after Sandy Hook, we started buying ammo whenever we could, and we resold it at minimal profit to our students (basically making enough to reimburse us for the effort).  The reality is that there’s not a lot you can do in some cases.

We ditched our 3+ day non-LE courses and dialed them back to 2-day course.  2-day courses were compressed to 1-day courses in some cases.  We cut round counts dramatically and started putting in lower round count drills that required more movement and thinking, target ID, target prioritization and shoot/no-shoot scenarios.    

For carbine courses, we got some S&W M&P15 rifles and located 500rd bricks of .22LR, and we would rent the combo for a day course for $100 (you get to keep the leftover ammo).  
We encouraged students to use .22LR rifles in lieu of .223 or 7.62x39/5.45x39 rifles.

We also started teaching more shotgun courses, because shotgun ammo wasn’t hit as hard and we didn’t have any problems sourcing trap loads or slugs.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Under the circumstances, I’d use reloads in factory boxes and say fuck the range... that’s just me.
View Quote

THIS.  
As often as I’ve been to ranges or classes that prohibit reloads, I’ve never once seen anyone inspect ammo for that purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top