Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2022 9:14:11 PM EDT
Hey y’all I just wanted to know if there is a specific form or a good tacked thread on the following items for a personal gun range with a shelter (looking for reviews of the targets/equipment, the pros / cons, places to get them, anything u can think of to help avoid any pit falls if making ur own range):

-dueling trees.

-Paper target holders.

-Pepper poppers automatic resetting

-Texas Star.

-22 Long Rifle only targets.

-Anything else u can think of or want to throw in let me know.

sorry if this already exists I did do a search and it really couldn’t find anything if it does exist if someone wouldn’t mind appointment in that direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I go next week (the range is for my best friend, he just bought a place in the sticks thats half wooded 45 to 50 acers in total). Thinking of having some electric out there and some solar for lighting as well (electric for security cameras, heat, fans, and anything else that needs to be plugged in). Lean to type of covering (steel roof) with roll down tarps for all the sides, concrete pad, two to four bench rest benches and at least a 8 foot wide table / bench top for pistols, ect. This is the first effort for the planning of it ground has not been broken (will start n the mid spring).
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a member here who makes some really quality reactive steel targets.

MOA Targets

I got a dueling tree from him a few years ago,  it’s held up very well, and is incredibly fun.

There are cheaper options out there, but this is built to last.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
https://tatargets.com/

very 2a to the core.  local to me. bought a zion15 ar from them.

youtube channel link
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Your in for some fun bud, it is a blast owning your own range.
I built mine about 15 years ago, I have been adding to it slowly.
First thing to know whatever berms you push up will settle/shrink over time, go higher then you would think.
Where ever you put this thing the land will be considered contaminated forever. Hard to sell a piece of land to a developer 20 years from now if they know it had a gun range on it with lead, keep it small and contained as possable.
Your getting starting at a tough time, steel prices are through the roof right now/since Covid.
Think about drainage,  what ever berms you push up the dirt has to come from somewhere,  push from the outside in so you dont end up with a swampy mess inside your range. Think it out and plan it for a wet spring at worse. Dont berm yourself a pond that you cant use.
Building your own targets with a welder and some tools is much cheaper then buying them, most of them are rudimentary and a high school kid could build them, scrap yards can be your best friend.
Texas stars and other reactive targets are fun but when you get 4 or more buddies shooting it is a pain in the ass to shut it down and go down range to reset them, things you can reset from the bench or wiggle and going are much more fun with a crowd.
I have a shed where I can lock up the skeet and electric skeet thrower, certain targets, gas grill a genny etc.I bought a pallet of skeet in September and it is 3/4  gone, my son and our friends had a ball all fall.
Cool shit for kids to shoot makes it alot of fun for the whole family. I keep a dozen pairs of safety glasses and a big box of earplugs handy.
Good luck bud, it is worth doing.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Make it Ring usually has a BF sale with free shipping and throws in free targets. I stocked up back to back years. If you have a welder locally, they sell dueling tree kits that are pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting,  buddies and I were texting about this yesterday.
Anyway,  I  have access to very large amounts of 36" rubber conveyor belt in 20 ft. sections. (1/2" thick)
I was experimenting a while ago with laminate B 27 silhouettes , bound together with rubberized caulking hung from old soccer goal posts.
1 1/2" were heavy to hang,  but lasted a long time... just respray with surveyors marking paint between rounds of fire.( orange and white)

Anyone else try it, and what bonding adhesive did you use? The bonding agent was OK, but need something better.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RandyMarsh:
https://tatargets.com/

very 2a to the core.  local to me. bought a zion15 ar from them.

youtube channel link
View Quote

Thanks for posting this recommendation, just ordered the mini raven system…exactly what I’ve been looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top