Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2020 12:04:02 PM EDT
With the high price of  ammo and anywhere from 1 to 4 family members for range trips, I'm looking for a less expensive alternative that's a bit better than dry fire. We've tried  air soft guns but frankly they're not very accurate. Even if you use black bbs,  There is some tracer factor that influences your site acquisition

I have looked at smokeless range and Imarksmen for use with a blow back air soft and laser.They look similar and I actually think  Imarksman software might be a bit better for my needs but quite a bit more expensive.The Imarksman is also a re-branded software produced by another company.

Does anyone have any experience using either of these products ? I know there is some cross compatibility with hardware and I can always buy different software, but the software's the greatest expense. Thanks in advance for your input..
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m curious about the software options as well. I’m currently using the LASR software and am considering adding the Smokeless Range software.  
The LASR program can give me everything I can get at an indoor or outdoor range.  I have it set up with a mounted projection screen and a projector mounted to the ceiling in my office. The LASR high speed camera is mounted on top of the projector mount.
A friend of mind from the range showed me how to use Powerpoint to set up a slideshow of different images and how to set those up (and save them for easy use) with defined target areas in the LASR program. I can be shooting any target scenario within 10 minutes.  
I’m using it with the CoolFire system, SIRT AR bolt and the Mantis Blackbeard system.
It works well for drills and maintaining the instructor training I get at the range.  Using an IR laser on a pistol and a red laser on a rifle, I can easily do weapon transitions, reloads, and malfunction drills while using the software and it’ll identify the different hits on the screen.
The only thing LASR doesn’t give me is the simulation experience I’m looking for - decision making, moving targets, shoot/no shoot, and dealing with bystanders.  I think iMarksman or Smokeless Range provides that type of training.

Also, I really prefer people not knowing what I shoot or my level of proficiency.  Dryfire training at home keeps my proficiency level private and allows me to train more often without burning through ammo that is nearly impossible to find (or afford) now.

Smokeless Range interests me due to the moving target and ccw type simulations.

Does anyone have experience with any of the simulation programs that can have different outcomes for training?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I find airsoft is plenty accurate enough at 10ft.  Full size silhouette's work fine out to 7 yards (7 yards or less is where most of your training should be).  Use scaled targets for distance work with airsoft.  Most 8.5x11" scaled silhouette's are around 30% actual size.  So 25 meters becomes ~25 feet.

For shooting the FBI qual with airsoft:

FBI QIT-99 Target

You may need to adjust your elevation a bit when shooting at a simulated 25 yards, but it works... trust me.

For moving targets, non-shoot targets, decision making, etc... get a paintball mask and do Force-on-Force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top