Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nostradamus]
Shooting iron sights in the service rifle league is a challenge to my older eyes. The question I have to the forum is:
"What sight picture do you use when shooting iron sights at 200 yards? 6:00 o'clock, POI, etc ? And why?
I have been shooting the 6:00 sight picture and am considering changing to the POI look.
N
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the center of mass hold (some call this the Navy hold).  I've tried the 6 o'clock hold, but I keep going back to CoM.  I think because I learned to shot with CoM holds, the 6 o'clock hold is harder for me.  As long as I keep the front sight post blacken, I don't lose it on the black of the target.  Some guys I shoot with swear by the 6 o'clock hold, that it's easier to see the front sight post on the black of the target.

Try some different holds during practice to see what may work for you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Fan of the 6 o'clock hold with my M1 Garands (and Ar's too) for the reason noted above.  I get better contrast with the front sight post and the target.  COM certainly works too, just not for me.

Remember with the 6 o'clock hold that you want to make sure when dialing in your come-ups that your POA is still going to deliver hits where you want them due to the offset.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the 6 o'clock hold for high power.  The reason is because that is how I have always shot round targets.  With clean sights or with sight black, I lose the top of the post in the middle of the black.  With carbon smoker, it is MUCH easier to see the post.

I don't have a smoker yet.  The guy I shot with at Pendleton this year had one that he let me use.  Once I get the smoker I am going to try moving to the center mass hold.  Some of the great shooters that I talk to recommend it based on two points.

First, it helps with the mental game that your sight is in the middle of the black no matter what.  Over time and with practice, the amount wobble should become less pronounced and this mental boost of sight picture (front post always in black) helps with breaking the shot more smoothly.

Second, point-of-aim-point-of-impact shooting is preferred for other scenarios such as hunting and 3-gun.  By knowing your exact sight dope for POA-POI, there is no working out the right come-ups outside of high power.  

Obviously the change in elevation from 200 to 300 to 600 is the same amount.  The difference is the height between the bottom of the black and the middle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top