Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2020 7:56:56 PM EDT
Been doing a lot of dry firing since my range is closed down.  I’m trying to get the hang of shooting my handguns with both eyes open.  I’m getting better but some times I have to blink my left eye real quick to get the front sight in focus, not always, just sometimes.  

I’m getting better, should I expect this to go away, or is this normal?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Happens to me, but I’m cross eye dominant. I can’t train it away unless I learn to shoot wrong handed. I just squint the left eye or turn my head another few degrees.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By matai:
Been doing a lot of dry firing since my range is closed down.  I’m trying to get the hang of shooting my handguns with both eyes open.  I’m getting better but some times I have to blink my left eye real quick to get the front sight in focus, not always, just sometimes.  

I’m getting better, should I expect this to go away, or is this normal?  

Thanks
View Quote
do you see double front sights if you don’t squint/blink to get it focused? Which eye are you using and which hand is dominant?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The best advice I can give is just to keep at it. It feels totally foreign and uncomfortable at first but with reps the front sight will come into focus without any fidgeting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
When I started shooting pistol I had an eye dominance issue. I am "mostly" right eye dominant. But my left tries to take over giving me phantom double sites. I spent many hours practicing and trying to reinforce my right eye dominance. I had reasonable success. I got to the point where my left eye only gave trouble occasionally. Momentarily closing my left eye fixed it. Very similar to what you described.

Then I quit shooting for a few years....,.... I am starting all over again. I am practicing while wearing a pair of safety glasses that I have "frosted" the left lens using sandpaper. It doesn't completely obscure my left eye. It just makes things a little fuzzy and keeps my left eye from trying to take over.

So far I have seen notable improvement when shooting both eyes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s not difficult, but rather just time consuming to get down.  It just takes time to get used to doing it and essentially programming your brain.  The one thing that works against you is that iron sights are a highly complex sighting system that involve three separate sight planes.  You are asking your brain and eyes to do a lot of work on very small focal points, so it’s gonna take patience.  

This is why when people start to shoot with RDS, they almost never go back to irons.  RDS simplifies everything and allows binocular vision naturally.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot both eyes open since I was about 12 or 13. Way before it became the cool thing to do!

My right eye was fuzzy if I closed my left.  If I shot both eyes open I learned my right eye focus remained clear and as a bonus I could see more of what was going on around me!

It was a very natural thing for me to teach myself.  I shoot magnified optics and red dots the same way. I never close my left eye when I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a thought.  I teach NRA pistol courses and I run into this problem/issue a lot.  On the most basic level, if you are cross dominant(ex right handed/left eye dominant=which I am!}, just close your left eye.  In a training/practice scenario all the helps are good, fog the lense, shift the pistol until it is under the left eye, etc.  However, since I teach CPL classes, not bullseye/target shooting, I train/teach to shoot with what your have/wear when you are concealing.  So that usually means, shoot right handed and close the left eye.  Although I use many of the helps when shooting, when I practice drawing/shooting from concealment, it is with the glasses/holster/chothes I normally wear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top