Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2021 5:43:49 PM EDT
Good afternoon all,

Looking to get some advise on getting a single action army. All the Ruger Vaqueros I like in 357 are sold out- but there are several in 45LC. I’ve always preferred 357 revolvers, but admit I’ve never shot a 45LC.

For those who have shot both, is there a noticeable difference one way or another? I’ve never understood the “push” vs “snap” thing, and it seems history transitioned from 45 even before semi-autos were a thing. Looking to get a practical difference in what it’s like to shoot a bunch.

I should add. I reload- so cost isn’t as big an issue and I can make my own loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
In the right revolver you have your choice of 45 loads from mild to wild, similar to a 357mag with everything from 38spl wadcutters or cowboy loads to full house 158gr loads at 1450fps.

Maybe even go 454 Casul?
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my .45 Vaquero but the .357 Beretta Cattleman is fun to shoot too.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#3]
They are both great calibers but I've always preferred the .45 Colt for single actions and .357 and .44 mag in my double action revolvers. Recoil isn't an issue for either in my opinion.  

The New Vaquero size guns are limited to standard pressure .45 Colt loads as opposed to the "Old" Vaquero or Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk.  The New Vaquero size guns in .357 mag can handle any ammo in that caliber. I prefer the .45 Colt because it's a big heavy bullet that even going slowly is extremely effective.  Our preferred load sends a 255 grain bullet at about 1000fps.

The .45 Colt is obviously more traditional so there's that.  Plus, I like to pair my single action revolvers with a lever gun and between the two calibers, the .45 Colt is a much better choice out of a long gun (in my opinion).

As far history goes, we did transition to the smaller .38 caliber for military usage but during the Moro rebellion in the Philippines we found it was extremely ineffective.  The US military then decided the .38 had to go and put the word out that they needed a semi auto pistol with a .45 caliber bullet that matched the ballistics of the .45 Colt.  This is where the 1911 in .45acp came about.  In the meantime the military actually quit using their .38 double action revolvers and rearmed themselves with the tried and true Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt.  They continued using them until there were enough 1911's for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer 45 since it's an original chambering. The 357 isn't historically correct at all, however I can understand wanting cheaper ammo to shoot more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi,

Having shot SASS, Single Action Shooting Society, for the last 20 years, I have used both.  I started out with .45 LC  Ruger Blackhawks, found the handle was too small for my hands.  Graduated to Old model Bisley Vaqueros and never looked back.  I own both old model Bisley Vaqueros in .357 and .45LC.  I never was too invovled in competition with others, just tried to better my own shots and scores.  I got Rossi model 92's in .357 and .45LC.  I like both caliber and used them alternatively depending on how I felt.  I used .38 wadcutters and .45 RNL(200 to 300 grain(latter in rifle)).  I hope you enjoy your time shooting at SASS matches.  They are the best things to shoot, with all your clothes on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I just loaded my first .45C loads.  I have always shot fairly warm .38spl at the matches.  The Black Hills loads are fairly light and I would say very comparable to .38spl.  My mid range loads were hotter than the Black Hills, yet very manageable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top