Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
Ok so brief timeline :

2 years ago I got into guns and started seeing self defense and security as a priority

1.5 years ago I started carrying concealed, I quickly learned I did not like anything strong side so I almost immediately switch to appendix carry with my g43x but did not carry with one in the chamber

Almost 1 year ago now I started carrying with a round in the chamber. I am totally comfortable with it now and have been training this entire time.

When I dry fire and live fire train I have no problem drawing and discharging the weapon. But when it comes to reholstering with live ammo I have been taking my holster off my belt, reholstering, then inserting the holstered firearm back into my waist.

I just can't seem to get over the fear of it. I need pointers on training the reholstering technique. In none of my dry fire practice have I ever set the trigger off during this process.

However part of me doesn't see it as a priority because for conceal carry I will theoretically not have to worry about reholstering until the threat is over.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You’re doing it right... carry on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your input. I guess sooner or later, with enough reps I will eventually become comfortable with it.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Just do it.  But, forget the nonsense about having to reholster quickly.

You should be doing lots of dry presentations from the holster anyway.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:

View Quote
This.  Take your time.  Pull your shirt out of the way and look it into the holster.  If you can't get over it get a gun with a manual safety.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm gonna work on more dry fire and then next time I am training with live rounds I am going to make sure to look it in all the way and go slow.

Thanks for everyone's help
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NeverBlue:
You’re doing it right... carry on.
View Quote

Yeah, except for the reholstering issue.

What holster are you using, OP?  With a quality holster and proper technique, this is a non-issue.

You're making good evolutions so far.  You will continue.

A buddy once said "reholster with a purpose.  As in, just as carefully and deliberately as any other aspect of pistolcraft.

Clear cover garment with support hand (or with firing hand Thumb, sweep from front to rear, trap with arm), LOOK down into the holster, put the gun in. If it's dark, use your light, or feel with support hand.

Gabe White advocates having hips thrust forward while reholstering (creates safe directionl.  Very sound technique.

Many of us carry Glocks AIWB and reholster just fine.  For those who can't get over it, there's the SCD for Glocks, or going to a pistol with a safety and/or an external hammer, that you can cover with your thumb as it goes in.

Do NOT think that proper, safe reholstering is somehow not a concern for concealed carry.  It is very much an integral part of proper pistolcraft.  Myriad of reasons you'd need to get that gun back in the holster.

Taking it off the belt and all that jazz is not a viable TTP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

Yeah, except for the reholstering issue.

What holster are you using, OP?  With a quality holster and proper technique, this is a non-issue.

You're making good evolutions so far.  You will continue.

A buddy once said "reholster with a purpose.  As in, just as carefully and deliberately as any other aspect of pistolcraft.

Clear cover garment with support hand (or with firing hand Thumb, sweep from front to rear, trap with arm), LOOK down into the holster, put the gun in. If it's dark, use your light, or feel with support hand.

Gabe White advocates having hips thrust forward while reholstering (creates safe directionl.  Very sound technique.

Many of us carry Glocks AIWB and reholster just fine.  For those who can't get over it, there's the SCD for Glocks, or going to a pistol with a safety and/or an external hammer, that you can cover with your thumb as it goes in.

Do NOT think that proper, safe reholstering is somehow not a concern for concealed carry.  It is very much an integral part of proper pistolcraft.  Myriad of reasons you'd need to get that gun back in the holster.

Taking it off the belt and all that jazz is not a viable TTP.
View Quote

I'm running my g43x with nothing but irons in a bluetac holster. The holster is super sturdy and covers the trigger guard amazingly.

Sometimes I question the ride height for appendix carry though. Ive never been around a Trex arms or other "sidecar appendix" type setup. But from pictures it looks like my firearm sits a touch lower than those setups. Maybe that is some of my issue?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
If you can't get a firing grip on your gun while it's in the holster then it's probably too low.

As mentioned above when reholstering appendix thrust your hips forward so that it a ND were to occur it wouldn't hit your leg and femoral. If you carry 12:30-1 you still have some risk. I carry about 1:30
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I carry about 1 o'clock. And it is super hard to get a full firing grip, possible but extremely hard with this holster. It's actually a strong side iwb holster than can be converted to appendix iwb.

I'm going to purchase a Trex arms and report back here within the next few weeks.

Thanks everyone for help!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd suggest phlster or dark star gear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Or JMCK, that's what I use.

It does make a difference, using a purpose-built AIWB holster, rather than an IWB pressed into the role.

As said above, if you're not getting a good firing grip in the gun IN the holster, that's a NO-GO.

OP, I don't know what your training level happens to be, but good formal training, or informal instruction from someone who does have that background knowledge, would adress these issues.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out Spencer Keepers of Keepers concealment. Best AIWB holster from what I hear, and probably top instructor on AIWB. You're doing it right, but if you want to reholster without removing it from the belt, hips forward, although Spencer can explain it better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:

View Quote

Exactly. Forget about the "looking at the threat and not your holster " BS. If it's still a threat you shouldn't be putting it away. Just take your time and make sure nothing is obstructing the holster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone. I've been comparing pictures of purpose built appendix holsters compared to my own holster and I think there is some difference.

I am going to purchase a purpose built aiwb holster and see how that goes. If I still don't feel comfortable doing it I will have to address with formal training I guess.

I have a close range buddy who is a private contractor for a government facility nearby, maybe I can ask him also.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Most reholstering ND’s occurs when someone tries to quickly reholster without looking and goes way too fast.

Good training helps and one of the training schools I have attended says draw quickly holster reluctantly and that is a pretty good explanation.

When I reholster, I rather slowly sweep back all cover garments and such and watch the gun travel to the holster and put it back in, takes me perhaps 5 seconds maybe more. Reholstering is never a rush.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Fast out...slow in.  When its time to put it back after a threat, you have all the time in the world.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to unholster/ holster a few times a day (G19).  I put my hips forward and angle the holster out 45 degrees or so with my off hand.  I also look down and go slow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone. I have been fine for the last month or so now. I believe I am getting comfortable with the technique enough to finally trust myself. I am going super slow and watching and feeling everything that is going on with the reholstering.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Be quick out of the holster. There is never a reason to be quick into the holster.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#20]
appen"dicks" carry disregards the most sacred and fundamental rule of gun handling. never point your gun at something you are not willing to destroy. avoid appen"dicks" at all cost
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Good job,just be careful
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pgm74] [#22]
Originally Posted By carbface:
appen"dicks" carry disregards the most sacred and fundamental rule of gun handling. never point your gun at something you are not willing to destroy. avoid appen"dicks" at all cost
View Quote

I can't believe this tired old argument against appendix carry is still being repeated by the uninformed and that you feel the need to bump this thread just to share it.

If you're muzzling yourself while reholstering a gun aiwb from a normal standing position then you're just doing it wrong.  It's even possible to reholster appendix safely while seated in a car without muzzling yourself using care and intent.  

If your argument is referring to muzzling yourself while the gun is safely in the holster while seated or during movement then you will probably want to stop carrying completely after you reconsider all the people and things you probably don't want to kill or destroy that you potentially muzzle daily from a holstered strong side carry gun too, as well or what crosses it's path when holstered offbody.  

OP,   I have thousands of live gun reholsters completed throughout 5 years of appendix carry and a lot of formal and informal training with it.  I do all my training from concealment as I carry so the reps pile up.   I've done it 300-400 times while seated in a car too between leaving PFZs and occasionally in vehicle training.   It all took a little getting used but it feels normal now.   Just don't get complacent.  Look and go slow.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion

1. Always get training. These types of issuing are easily solved by a competent instructor in a matter of minutes

2. Don't fall for the trap of assuming what a potential lethal force situation will be. Ie don't just assume you'll have all the time in the world to reholster. Train to reholster with a purpose. You won't get to choose your gun is used in real life. Perhaps in the ensuing melee, a loved one took a round and now you eliminated the threat but you need to administer first aid NOW. You don't want to be fumbling a hot gun into your holster because you skipped training for it. Or maybe you used you gun legally on a bad guy but now you need to get the fuck out of there to a safe area because his friends are coming and you need to call LE. The possibilities are endless.

Train yourself to reholster a hot gun because you don't know what you'll need to do after a shooting
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotterdammerung has cut to the heart of the matter. The only time I’ve ever felt compelled to re-holster quickly was when I attended classes that had us drawing and firing quite often. There really is no time that you need to put your gun away so fast that you can’t slow down and be careful about it. Your concern is healthy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are concerned, and I am not saying anyone should NOT be concerned, with reholstering appendix (or strong side, I see people muzzle themselves strong side every single time I go to a public range), get a single-action hammer-fired gun with a manual safety, and a grip safety.  In addition to good muzzle technique, when you reholster, be sure the manual safety is on before you drop from horizontal, put your thumb in between the hammer and the firing pin, and keep it there until holstered.  While blocking the hammer with your thumb, take the palm of your hand OFF the grip safety as you look the gun into the holster.  This process will become second nature very quickly.  This way, you have four overlapping layers of safety: 1) yourself, taking good care not to muzzle yourself looking the gun into the holster; 2) the manual safety stopping the hammer from falling; 3) your thumb blocking the hammer from falling; and 4) the grip safety stopping the trigger from pulling.  Good luck on your shooting journey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top