Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2019 5:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnMH92]
I have a private range to shoot at. It is 30 yds deep and 50 yds wide on pavement. When I go it’s usually just me or my shooting buddies.

I have three stands for steel and 4 stands for paper/cardboard. There is a dueling tree there as well. There is also 10 empty plastic 55gal barrels to use as barricades and whatnot.

I can only shoot in one direction (only one berm) however I can move and shoot and do whatever seeing as its private and it’s usually just me and a friend. It’s an out door range.

The targets can be placed wherever except for the steel. There’s 5 yds of dirt between the berm and the where the pavement starts to put steel targets so you don’t get ricochets. It’s a very nice range. I can shoot anything I want at the range up to .50 cal. Full auto is allowed although I do not have one.

There is a tower 100 yds back I can shoot from too. They don’t like shooting anywhere else other than the tower because the guy who mows the lawn hates getting brass caught up in it or whatever. So shooting on the pavement or tower is pretty much it.

Recommend me some drills! I’ve set up some courses of fire and whatnot but would like some more input.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:35:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#1]
Don’t use the dueling tree, they are expensive and don’t stand up well to rifle fire.

At 25yds with a rifle, even 1/2” AR500 steel takes a beating and can get pitted. Best to use cheap, lower velocity lead core ammo. I try to keep rifle shooting close to 50yds to avoid damaging my targets, or my buds targets at his range.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The first link is pistol drills, but you can modify them to rifle.
http://pistol-training.com/drills
This one has a link when you scroll down.
Tons of drills between these two pages!  Hope this helps.
http://www.rrmemphis.com/tips-drills.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thorn653:
View Quote
Awesome! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By thorn653:
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch the MagPul video and do similar.

All the carbine class I have attended included the same basics.
Up close remember sight over bore, especially with an optic. Same with shooting around cover, don't shoot the cover.
Shoot threat while walking backwards.
Down load mags so you have to do speed reload while doing other drills.
At max range use very small target, shoot offhand. Aim small, shoot small.
If using red dot turn it off, aim with just the tube. It works surprisingly well.
From low ready, up and 2 shots on target as fast as you can. Practice till your group is small. Do 3 shots next.

If you have a partner, do shoot and move drills with the barrels. Download mags, if partner is moving when mag is empty you go to secondary weapon to sustain suppression fire.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
A modification of several drills I have done...

Pick a target with an 8" circle

15 rds spread across 3 magazines (5 rds ea.)

Start at standing.. 5 rds
then drop to kneeling, (You decide how to change mags , Before, or during the drop to kneeling)
then 5 rds kneeling.. change to last mag
last 5 rds prone.

Use a Shot timer.. establish a benchmark time for you and start working on improving.

To me, it's one of the best work outs with a carbine, as it works your manipulation of the gun, which is where the rubber hits the road in my opinion.

If you want to wok some cardio.. start at the target.. run back to  the 25 yd line and then start the drill.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JPK:
Don’t use the dueling tree, they are expensive and don’t stand up well to rifle fire.

At 25yds with a rifle, even 1/2” AR500 steel takes a beating and can get pitted. Best to use cheap, lower velocity lead core ammo. I try to keep rifle shooting close to 50yds to avoid damaging my targets, or my buds targets at his range.
View Quote
50yds with 10", 65yds for 16" with M193 IME.

Even at those, small pitting occurs, I try for 65/75.

To the OP... try tiny targets from the tower, change positions, try a 2" prone, 4" kneeling, 6" standing, etc.

Move to contact. Maybe setup a canvas tarp at 50yds!

Try working your doubles and target transitions. At 25yds you should have no issue stacking rifle hits slow fire, so work on the speed. Get as fast as you can stacking those hits. Get 2, 3, 4, targets and switch between singles and doubles on them.

Setup a barricade to truckbed height, car hood height, under the car, etc.

Black out some of your targets as hard cover, so hits on black are misses.

Switch positions. Move to cover. Transition to pistol.

Don't load your mags, load your buddies'. Put random amounts in there. Put empty brass in there. Make them reload mid-drill, make their gun jam. Be an evil bastard and expect the same from them. Along with the random amounts of ammo and brass, throw them all in a bag mix it up, have him close his eyes and fill his pouches for him so he can't feel the weight or see them.

Make them start a drill standing, and yell at them to move to cover. Make them advance, and retreat. They better keep rounds flying.

I don't like preplanned drills outside of the safety concerns.

E.g. have your buddy start in the tower, sitting. On the "target" command he will engage the 3 targets using the rail of the tower for support. YELL at him to "advance", he will run down the tower and go to the tarp at 50yds, engaging the targets standing, but mid way, make him kneel, or on reload he should use the cover of the 55gal drum, and continue engaging from the kneeling behind the drum (when he finishes the 6 shots, he should have already had to reload or clear a jam). Advance again, and from 25 to 15 he should engage the targets with doubles, taking cover at the 15. Make him switch between leaning left and right, or shooting under the barrel (prop it up on some blocks or some shit). Again his weapon should have gone empty or jammed.

Throw in a pistol transition as necessary.

Run it backwards.

If doing a standing drill, after he gets off 3 rounds, start yelling "kneel!" or "cover!"...

At the start and end of the day, maybe run it with full mags and no surprises, so you can actually feel what it should be like.

IMO, "the more you sweat, the less you bleed". It's amazing how fast the drills feel when not forced to reload or clear 3 jams, or positon changed.

If you don't want to get payback for how stressful and evil the drill was, they didn't try hard enough. As well as pushing yourself to get the rounds off faster than before.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I went to Shooter Symposium last weekend and one of the comp stages was a Bill Blowers drill.

B8 at 10 yards. From the low ready. On the beep fire 10 rounds. The winner was something like 100 5x under three seconds. I shot a 98 4x in five something. Its a fun drill that I'm going to start putting in my rotation. I think sub four seconds should be pretty doable with some practice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:26:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#12]
Drills under 25 yrds?

Got you covered......
MTS Channel
Check out:
15rds Fury
9 Shot Drill
Outer Inner
Running Diamond
3 Times the Threat
Add Two
120 Drill
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I second Stukas87 drills.  Good challenges.

Rifle / Pistol Skill Builder Drill Book has a lot of classics.

5 Combative Shooting Drills You MUST Practice
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Special Ops Shooting Tests CTEs | Tactical Rifleman
Special Ops Shooting Tests CTEs | Tactical Rifleman
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Marksmanship Qualification Program

Especially "America's Rifle Challenge"
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the ideas over the years. I've been shoot a ton and learning a lot especially from all the drills you guys have mentioned.

I'll also add for anybody reading this post, I have recently purchased the Adaptive Rifle book written by Ben Stoeger and Joel Park and it's awesome.

Tons of phenomenal drills in there with par times and standards to work up too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top