Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 2:54:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony]
1-February-20
Northwest Texas Field and Stream Ass. 100yd unsanctioned NRA National Match Course.
30-50*F, 5mph from WNW. Range faces ESE.

Firearm: borrowed AR15, 20" CLE 1:6.5, RRA 2-stage trigger, Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 thick duplex, UBR stock, old biothane 1907 sling. The eye relief is set far enough forward that I had to put my canine on or behind the charging handle.

Load: 50gr VMAX / 25.0gr H4895 / CCI 450 / 2.250"

Goals: Fireform 1x fired "WIN USA 5.56mm" cases from a friend's carbine in preparation for additional testing in this thread. Advise any juniors, particularly one I hadn't seen for a couple months.

Sighters
The stock was set at notch 4; the sling a notch or two too tight. 1:00 8 called right, 11:00 9, 11:00 9 a smidge low. The owner uses a 6:00 hold, I used center, hence the high impacts.
6 clicks down, 2 clicks right, and a notch looser sling. 3:00 10, and 3:00 X which was called further left.
1 click left.

Standing - 91/100
Standing felt okay, but my eyes don't like magnified wobble. In prep, I think I debated between stock notches 3 and 4 (A1 and A2) and went with 4 to have a little more pull into the shoulder for consistency. I could stay in the black, but couldn't time the shot break into the 10. Shots were within a bullet width of call or an inch low, except the last shot which was called 2:00 9, going out right, into the 8.
Attachment Attached File

Sitting Rapid - 95/100
The wobble was 9-ring tall and bounced quickly. I set my NPoA to be equidistant from center instead of trying break the shot at the top or bottom. The 1st shot was 11:00 10; I think the 2nd was the 2:00 10. I don't remember if I clicked down. I didn't call out to the right, but I may have been too focused on elevation control. The thought crossed my mind during Standing, but here I noted a lighter, spongier break and longer reset than my usual DPMS trigger, numbed further by gloves.

Since we had one relay and no dedicated match director, we split into 2. I called the 2nd half. Three of the guys finished at about 50sec. I was rooting for the one guy to break the final shot on 1 minute, but I saw the bolt close, and called cease fire at 1:01.5. He started rough, but settled in later in the match to finish with the only clean 100/100 of the day. The lone bolt gunner had a 99/100-5x, likely the first clip in the X-ring, second clip out at 4:30.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Rapid - 96/100-2x
The temp warmed up enough that gloves weren't necessary. The wobble was about 10-ring size, though I forget if it was 8:00-2:00 or circular. The first two shots were called 12:00 10 and 4:00 10. Four clicks down and left. The rest looked good and felt good.

I think most everyone was accurate, but imprecise in this stage.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 1 - 99/100-3x
I loaned my spotting scope to a junior so he could get better feedback to his NPoA. He incorporated it fairly well, but it was a little out of reach, costing some time and positional consistency. His technique is very deliberate and methodical, and despite being told 1.5 minutes remaining with 4 rounds to go, he saved a round. His group was well centered, but tall.

During prep, I realized that the position was tight enough to cause stress on the left side of the support arm, so I moved the stock to notch 3. I don't recall going a click or two down, so the Prone Rapid group must've been called high. My NPoA trended left, but I didn't blade my mat enough. The 1st shot was called left. I fired another that looked good and thought I saw a hole on the left edge of the 10-ring through the riflescope. I fired another good one. When spotting in the upper-right quadrant of the FOV that hole looked bigger. I trusted my gut, gave it two clicks right, and sent 'em.
Attachment Attached File

Prone Slow 2 - scorer was generous at 97/100-2x. I counted it as 95.
The junior made better accomodations with the spotting scope. He was still well centered, but the group rounded off.

"Do the same thing, but better." Except I didn't do the same thing. I adjusted my mat and NPoA a smidge right. I called one shot low, and one to the right about 9-ring, not 7. After 5 or 6 shots, I could spot that I was trending low and gave it a click up.
Attachment Attached File

Summary Target - 478/500-8x
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

THE 100yd load shoots well; too bad I wasn't zeroed. The "combat" shirt with padding/pockets/patch velcro on the back of the arms is a good balance of extremity insulation, core cooling, mobility, pulse damping, and shoulder friction. This rifle just feels squishier than others - the trigger, the buttplate, the bolt release. I've yet to measure the fired headspace, but I bet the sized headspace spread will be within 0.002" instead of the 0.004" previously. One guy wasn't pleased with his Sitting and a couple weren't pleased with their Prone Slow, so there may be practice sessions after the spring matches. The juniors had personal bests by a handful or less.

For lunch, we went to The Feed Lot. There is sufficient cow bell. The fried ice cream looks interesting.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top