Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 5:22:55 PM EDT
Hey, my current split time on the ar-15 is about .14-.15 seconds if I push myself to go as fast as possible. I want to get my split times down to .11 or .12. If I train 2-3 times a week at at about 600 rounds per week primary doing the 1-5 drill (not to be confused with the vtac 1-5 drill) seen in this video by mil-spec mojo and garland thumb, how long do you think it would take me to reach my goal? I know it's hard to give a precise answer so guesses are fine. Here is the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFRWFh4Uyc&t=1228s , the drill starts at 5:23. You start by shooting 1 round then reset, then 2 rounds and reset, and follow this all they way up to 5 rounds. Also, I'm open to other drills to increase split speed if you know any.

Ps. I have the choice between a geissele sd-e and ssp triggers if you guys have any experience with one working better for this purpose over another.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a good split time.

With the OODA loop, going faster in combat isn't just about reducing split times.  You have to see, understand, and make decisions faster.

Seeing and understanding can take .5 sec or so... some good reading on the subject here:

Establishing Hard Standards

Unless your focus is purely on competition, I'd run something like the third grade math drill to enhance cognitive loading and decision making skills or begin your stages with a physical stressor like a 25-50 yard run.  Dare I say fitness is a life skill more important than marksmanship... but they can be trained together.

Mosby talks about his methods for building proper speed and accuracy here

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What trigger are you using?  .14 is a pretty good split.  With stock triggers and the SSF in semi, I've been running .17 lately.  A few years ago I was doing .15 with the Geissele SD3G, but I've been getting rusty lately.

Machineguns are where the real speed is, sucks they got cut off in 86.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 1:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#3]
That’s already pretty fast.  Is there a particular reason why you want to get faster?  Is it just a desire to be, or do you have some kind of need for it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#4]
If I read this right you want to improve split times only by doing one drill?
Sure with practice (repetition) just a matter of time but you will not be consistent shooting any other drills.
Meaning you can shoot fast splits doing a known drill because you built into for lack of better term "muscle memory".
But you will not be able to replicate those splits on any other drill....., any change in distance, targets  
will effect you.

Pro shooters such as Todd Jarret, Ernest Langdon can maintain about a .25splits (4 shots a second) in a match shooting a course of fire that have never shot before
and can burst up to 5 shots a second at times. Nowhere near a .11 in practical shooting, because .11splits on the same drill over and over is artificial.

Also here is a shameless plug for my channel where I do nothing but demonstrate rifle drills that balance speed and accuracy and work on splits!
Modern Tactical Shooting
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
In the shooting timed sports, 3 gun, uspsa, ect, transition time is way more important  than split time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Waxman:
In the shooting timed sports, 3 gun, uspsa, ect, transition time is way more important  than split time.
View Quote

Shooting super fast in general doesn't really get you too far in those games. Its everything else you do when not shooting that makes the real difference.

The difference between .11 and .15 means less than nothing in any game or scenario I can imagine other than IG points.

Training time and ammo is an investment. Spending it chasing some arbitrary number seems like a poor way to spend it but if thats what you like to do then go for it.

Chasing splits can be fun but fuck me if I would blow 600 rounds a week on one drill doing it. Don't get me wrong I have shot a shit ton of Bill Drills over the last 25 years and still do it today but it is just a part of a more comprehensive routine designed to maintain or improve a wider skillset.

I will say this though OP. If you do spend that much time and ammo on it you will get there. Up to you if its worth it or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dean1197] [#7]
Oh, I like to isolate different components of marksmanship (accuracy, speed, transitions, reloads, drawing etc) and then put them together. Right now I want my split's faster. On AR-15 (I hope you guys know I wasn't talking about pistol) they are about .12-.14 right now, I want to get that down to .11-.13, but no i'm not willing to go the extra mile for literally one or two hundredths of a second. Although if that level of speed ever comes to me i'll certainly take it. I also notice if your doing target to target transitions they will slow down unfortunately. What helped a lot was a drill where I shot 1 shot, then 2 shots, then 3 shots, then 4 shots and finally 5 shots. It was called the 1-5 drill and I saw it in a video with milspec mojo in it (I think he was with Garandthumb).

I guess I just want to be the best shooter I can be.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waxman:
View Quote

Oh absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
If I read this right you want to improve split times only by doing one drill?
Sure with practice (repetition) just a matter of time but you will not be consistent shooting any other drills.
Meaning you can shoot fast splits doing a known drill because you built into for lack of better term "muscle memory".
But you will not be able to replicate those splits on any other drill....., any change in distance, targets  
will effect you.

Pro shooters such as Todd Jarret, Ernest Langdon can maintain about a .25splits (4 shots a second) in a match shooting a course of fire that have never shot before
and can burst up to 5 shots a second at times. Nowhere near a .11 in practical shooting, because .11splits on the same drill over and over is artificial.

Also here is a shameless plug for my channel where I do nothing but demonstrate rifle drills that balance speed and accuracy and work on splits!
Modern Tactical Shooting
View Quote

Hey i've seen your channel before, it's good stuff thank you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeDevola] [#10]
Stukas is right, don't get "grooved" into one drill, that's not helpful to you.

Me, I'd say if you're getting good hits at the desired ranges, your splits are just fine.

I'd look for other areas to focus on if I were you.  Truth be told, when it comes to practical shooting, in a real fight, there's a limit to how fast you "should" be shooting, as other have said above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top