Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2023 8:58:14 PM EDT
Anybody out there that can comment on these?
Struggling at times to maintain my remaining hearing, following a career in the FA, competition shooting for years, since a 12 y.o., and now hunting and lots of pistol practice.
The stated noise protection on these "U.S. made items" is "...up to 40 dBs...," well higher than the usual 23-25 dBs on electronic earmuffs. They're not cheap, with a street price of around $400+. I try to always use earpro even when hunting and am wondering if these would be both effective and comfortable for long periods of time. Additionally, do they remain "plugged in" during normal and sudden movements, because I'd hate to lose one or both when out in the weeds. Thanks.

"OTTO Engineering NoizeBarrier Micro"  otto-comm.com
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pgm74] [#1]
I've been using them for going on 3 years with hundreds of hours wearing them and highly recommend them.  I use them with the foam tips that come with them.  ( Etymotic Research ER38-14F available on Amazon appear to be identical replacements ).    I'm not sure if 40db NRR is right,  but they're right up there with 33db non-electronic foam plugs.   Some people use Peltor SkullScrews with them but at least in my ears the NRR seemed to drop significantly with those so went right back to the foamies.  

I regularly use these by themselves at a 16 lane indoor range with mixed use rifle and pistol lanes.   I have also shot comped handguns inside enclosed vehicles with only these inserted during vcqb type training.  As long as you know how to properly insert foam plugs in far enough,  these will stay put through most activities.   I've done repeated breakfalls onto hard ground as well as ground positional movement with them in and they stayed put.   As for comfort, I have worn them for 10 hours straight in training without any noticeable discomfort.   The batteries started to go around hour 8 though without a break to recharge.  

Make sure to buy from an authorized dealer if you do.   Otto has been fantasic on the customer service front but I have had them replaced twice under warranty.  The first time was after that mentioned long training day a few months after getting them, and when I found out one discharged a bit faster than the other.   The second time was recently when one ear stopped charging entirely.  In both cases I received brand new sets for no charge and quickly with no hassle.   These plugs get a good workout with me and Otto has happily taken care of me each time.  They honestly have some of the best customer service I have experienced anywhere.

If it helps,  I got mine from https://www.hitechwireless.com/coupon-codes/

Around $410 now it looks like with coupon code.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArtilleryman] [#2]
pgm74
Thanks for the info. The OTTO figure of up to 40 dBs was published in the current edition of the Rifleman, p. 28. Agree that purchasing from the authorized dealer is important. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been using them for several years. They are my favorite hearing protection device.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:57:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#4]
For me, these were so painful to wear - using ANY ear tips - that I returned them in one week. We all have different tastes and obviously ear sizes. For they were a total bust.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNC:
Yes, I have a set and I like them. However the original clear plastic tips didn't work for me. None of them fit well. If I turned up the volume I got feedback from sound leaking out of the ear canal into the mic.
Once I replaced them with these they worked much better https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNB0UC/?th=1 They are very comfortable.
I'd like another volume step between normal and high.
View Quote

Yep. Those were also purchased upon other advice. None of them worked out for me though. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
They are all I wear anymore.
I got some strange feed back from the included plugs… switched to the Amazon ones linking above and they worked great.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top