Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2019 4:43:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't they usually specify minimum distance for a rifle round is 100Y?

5.56 ammo fired at AR500 less than 100Y will damage it.  I saw me do it.  Luckily I caught it quick and all I need to do is turn my steel around.

@nvgeologist

Targets
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Fired m193 at ar500 @ 50 yards, put sum nice craters in it, i stick with .223 plinking anmo for the steel now.

Dunno if it matters but i try to keep paint on my steel, esp after shooting, cant imagine rust helping anything.

Yea, i need to flip my steel around too...
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Better pictures would help, but from the posted potatoes, it looks like stress fracture from the inside corners. Not exactly where I'd expect them to turn up, usually closer to the center of the corner. That may be an aspect of what looks like it's probably plasma cutting.

Finding full size IPSCs for $150 is going to be tough, that's barely $3/lb, and there was a huge jump in prices a year ago due to tariffs.

It doesn't sound like you'e abused them, but frankly, 10 years of assorted use, off single hole targets, I wouldn't stress it.

The biggest thing I'd recommend in buying new ones is to avoid plasma cut, and see if you can get a hostage setup or something for a full size IPSCs, because otherwise they are fairly boring one trick ponies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you!

What do you think will happen with those cracks? Just continue until they ruin the mounting hole?
View Quote
Yup. At this point, your choice with those is pretty much either continue to use them as is until they fail, or push them as far away on your range as possible to try to extend their life a bit.

I strongly advise against trying to weld them up for three reasons: a weld good enough to bond the steel will ruin the temper, there's no good way to get the lead out of it (which fucks up the weld) and is not go to breath, it's frankly not worth the time to prep and weld it knowing that you're ruining the temper and breathing lead.

Drop me a PM and I'll send you some links to options I have for IPSCs and hostages and whatnot. It's possible for a bit more money I can get you a lot more useful target(s)
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Better pictures would help, but from the posted potatoes, it looks like stress fracture from the inside corners. Not exactly where I'd expect them to turn up, usually closer to the center of the corner. That may be an aspect of what looks like it's probably plasma cutting.

Finding full size IPSCs for $150 is going to be tough, that's barely $3/lb, and there was a huge jump in prices a year ago due to tariffs.

It doesn't sound like you'e abused them, but frankly, 10 years of assorted use, off single hole targets, I wouldn't stress it.

The biggest thing I'd recommend in buying new ones is to avoid plasma cut, and see if you can get a hostage setup or something for a full size IPSCs, because otherwise they are fairly boring one trick ponies.
View Quote

OP 100 yard minimum like everyone said.

and yes, these pics are difficult to see. Send them as "original quality" instead of "Small" "Medium" if you sent them via email.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
7.62x39 with the MSC bullets will chew up steel just as bad as green tip.  If you were running that ammo, there’s a reason why the steel is heavily messed.

That said, 10 years on steel is a long time.  This in conjunction with steel plates today being made better and more durable.  It’s time to retire your steel and get new stuff.

We shoot steel with AE223 as close as 25yds, but we also replace steel regularly knowing it’s a wear item in our training.  We bust steel all the time.  The only time we get pissy about it is when someone intentionally uses penetrator or bimetal/MSC bullets, because we prohibit that stuff. .
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve always considered them consumable. Time to replace them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top