Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2022 9:38:40 AM EDT
BLUF: Which mount do I need for a Vortex PST 1-4?

I just bought a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ to try highpower/service rifle. But I don't know which mount to buy in terms of offset, min elevation, etc.

I was considering cantilevers mounts but saw that WOA also does rail extensions. Should I get something like that and some rings? I would like to avoid spending over $100 on a mount. And definitely not to exceed $200.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#1]
Likely to be difficult to find a true low height scope mount suggested for prone at less than $100 new.

A few options:
Freedom Reaper Forward Picantinny Rail Mount (Black, 30mm) https://a.co/4JpvK5i

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/pacific-tool-gauge/14629-30mm-id-zero-moa-ultra-precision-one-piece-scope-mount.html
Beware, if you don't use a torque wrench on this one you WILL strip out the base bolts, and delivery is when you get it.

A basic Vortex cantilever mount or any other similar decent quality brand will work fine if you are trying this out for fun. Get the lowest height mount. (Base to scope centerline.)

Just a note about that scope...mrad is likely going to be difficult to work with for comparing notes with others.  Everyone in the high power I work with is doing dope in moa.  When someone shows up with an mrad scope, we all get real dumb and can't be much help.  Targets are set up in moa, electronics are set up in moa, and we all speak moa. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have mostly Larue and ADM QD mounts, but I have this Warne mount on my 3 gun rifle and I've found it to be a great mount for the money.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Warne-Gen-2-Extended-MSR-Mount-p/warne-msr-mount.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:37:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: naos] [#3]
Originally Posted By SHD:
Likely to be difficult to find a true low height scope mount suggested for prone at less than $100 new.

A few options:
Freedom Reaper Forward Picantinny Rail Mount (Black, 30mm) https://a.co/4JpvK5i

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/pacific-tool-gauge/14629-30mm-id-zero-moa-ultra-precision-one-piece-scope-mount.html
Beware, if you don't use a torque wrench on this one you WILL strip out the base bolts, and delivery is when you get it.

A basic Vortex cantilever mount or any other similar decent quality brand will work fine if you are trying this out for fun. Get the lowest height mount. (Base to scope centerline.)

Just a note about that scope...mrad is likely going to be difficult to work with for comparing notes with others.  Everyone in the high power I work with is doing dope in moa.  When someone shows up with an mrad scope, we all get real dumb and can't be much help.  Targets are set up in moa, electronics are set up in moa, and we all speak moa. YMMV.
View Quote

Thank you. I didn't realize there was an MOA/MRAD language barrier.

Do you know which offset 1", 2", or 3" I would want to try? Is this is based on the eye relief measurement? Or is it more personal preference?

I am a complete noob at this, apologies for the basic questions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Great advice from SHD.

Bottom line for me:
3” cantilever
Center height between 1.3~1.5” (I use 1.35”)

That’s what is needed to go nose to charging handle with proper eye relief and cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
Great advice from SHD.

Bottom line for me:
3" cantilever
Center height between 1.3~1.5" (I use 1.35")

That's what is needed to go nose to charging handle with proper eye relief and cheek weld.
View Quote
Agreed.  1.5" rise is most common in commodity mounts, and is kind of high for really getting on the scope and stock.  It's done all the time, but lowest you can find is ideally better.  Not a huge deal, but very nice to have.

Get as much front cantilever as you can, up to 3".  1", even 1.5" is not enough.  It's easier to move the scope and mount back than to run out of receiver rail and still not have good eye relief.

Visit a match or three...lots of folks would love to give advice, and save you hundreds or thousands over time.  This is a buy once, cry once thing, if you get serious.  It's very easy to get frustrated with "should be good enough."
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Agreed.  1.5" rise is most common in commodity mounts, and is kind of high for really getting on the scope and stock.  It's done all the time, but lowest you can find is ideally better.  Not a huge deal, but very nice to have.

Get as much front cantilever as you can, up to 3".  1", even 1.5" is not enough.  It's easier to move the scope and mount back than to run out of receiver rail and still not have good eye relief.

Visit a match or three...lots of folks would love to give advice, and save you hundreds or thousands over time.  This is a buy once, cry once thing, if you get serious.  It's very easy to get frustrated with "should be good enough."
View Quote

Thank you. That breaks it down for me much better. I guess I might've gotten the wrong optic then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Great advice from SHD.

Bottom line for me:
3” cantilever

That’s what is needed to go nose to charging handle with proper eye relief and cheek weld.
View Quote

Thank you! I'll look for those specs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#8]
Budget scopes which are popular are:

(Not advocating buying from Amazon...just a safe link to visit:

https://a.co/fPaIGMA

https://a.co/ilUHZ0A

1/4 moa click isn't a must, but is very desirable, which is the weakness in the Vortex.  I love the Vortex 1-4, and started high power with it.  I have multiple, but there are slightly better advantages in other models. .
I went full ridiculous though to a much more expensive scope when my zero moved 5moa after having to mortar a round.. My shooting partner prefers the hi lux because of the cross hair reticle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:35:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#9]
Excessive rounds on target.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:36:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#10]
ADM Recon-X for 4" eye relief. Adjust the nuts so the levers are snug, remove and replace a few times to burnish the cams. Touch the starting threads of the ring screws with blue Loctite or lesser-strength equivalent. ETA: Didn't read far enough. There might be sales for under $200, but I doubt you'll want to wait.

Ramped mounts aren't necessary unless you try 1000yds where the extra ~5 Mils (20 MOA) can come in handy. Even then - you have a compensating reticle.

I scaled some targets to a Mil Dot reticle. The black diameter is near enough 1.8 Mil. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Training/Dad-s-space-gun-evolution-Master-score-s-achieved-/14-236557/#i2008082
Attachment Attached File

Ring radius subtensions.
200yds: X - 0.2 Mil, Ten - 0.5 Mil, Nine - 0.9 Mil.

300yds: X - 0.1 Mil. Ten - 0.3 Mil, Nine - 0.6 Mil, Eight - 0.9 Mil.

600yds: X - 0.1 Mil, Ten - 0.3 Mil, Nine - 0.4 Mil, Eight - 0.6 Mil, Seven - 0.8 Mil.

Typical 20" barrel/77gr dope from 100yds zero:
200 - 0.5 Mil
300 - 1.1 Mil
600 - 4.6 Mil
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Budget scopes which are popular are:

(Not advocating buying from Amazon...just a safe link to visit:

https://a.co/fPaIGMA

https://a.co/ilUHZ0A

1/4 moa click isn't a must, but is very desirable, which is the weakness in the Vortex.  I love the Vortex 1-4, and started high power with it.  I have multiple, but there are slightly better advantages in other models. .
I went full ridiculous though to a much more expensive scope when my zero moved 5moa after having to mortar a round.. My shooting partner prefers the hi lux because of the cross hair reticle.
View Quote

Thank you, will look into them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
ADM Recon-X for 4" eye relief. Adjust the nuts so the levers are snug, remove and replace a few times to burnish the cams. Touch the starting threads of the ring screws with blue Loctite or lesser-strength equivalent. ETA: Didn't read far enough. There might be sales for under $200, but I doubt you'll want to wait.

Ramped mounts aren't necessary unless you try 1000yds where the extra ~5 Mils (20 MOA) can come in handy. Even then - you have a compensating reticle.

I scaled some targets to a Mil Dot reticle. The black diameter is near enough 1.8 Mil. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Training/Dad-s-space-gun-evolution-Master-score-s-achieved-/14-236557/#i2008082
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/g2b-mil-dot_MR_target_png-1821654.JPG

Radius subtensions.
200yds: X - 0.2 Mil, Ten - 0.5 Mil, Nine - 0.9 Mil.

300yds: X - 0.1 Mil. Ten - 0.3 Mil, Nine - 0.6 Mil, Eight - 0.9 Mil.

600yds: X - 0.1 Mil, Ten - 0.3 Mil, Nine - 0.4 Mil, Eight - 0.6 Mil, Seven - 0.8 Mil.

Typical 20" barrel/77gr dope from 100yds zero:
200 - 0.5 Mil
300 - 1.1 Mil
600 - 4.6 Mil
View Quote

I guess I need to learn how to "dope". Thank you for the scale and the mount recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you plan on shooting high power you will need eye relief for sitting and prone. Ubr adjust stock helps but you will need the scope pretty far Forward.

3" offset Vortex cantilever mount is all you need and it isn't that expensive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Great advice from SHD.

Bottom line for me:
3” cantilever

View Quote

So, something like this mount, it is over 3" offset and has a 1.3" height. Assuming I am reading the correct specs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By naos:

So, something like this mount, it is over 3" offset and has a 1.3" height. Assuming I am reading the correct specs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By naos:
Great advice from SHD.

Bottom line for me:
3" cantilever
Center height between 1.3~1.5" (I use 1.35")

That's what is needed to go nose to charging handle with proper eye relief and cheek weld.

Pretty nice looking mount set.  Specifications and price seem good.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Precision reflex has a really good mount that does not break the bank. We have three on our service rifles with WOA scopes.

Precision Reflex 30mm low

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Precision reflex has a really good mount that does not break the bank. We have three on our service rifles with WOA scopes.

Precision Reflex 30mm low

View Quote

I just ordered that, LOL. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top