Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2014 2:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest]
Hello all,

I would like to start by apologizing to the moderator's for posting this in this forum. However I was unable to find info on this subject anywhere on this site. I'm  sure somebody will post a hyperlink to prove me wrong. But I tried multiple searches to no avail.

Anyways on to the topic at hand. I am looking to construct a target stand for the range that will be easy to assemble, disassemble and store. I do not have land that I can build a permanent fixture on so this MUST be portable. I am not skilled in welding but I would like to use metal parts in the construction of this. The stand will have to hold 3 targets 1/2" thick AR500 steel 4", 6" and 8" targets. Since this will be used at a public range I would like something that has a slight downward angle for improved safety of all persons near my shooting location.

im sure that many of you have built your own stands and have many tips and pointers that you will be able to pass along to somebody like me. I would really like to know what style (a-frame, box, etc) you used, dimensions of your stand, types of materials used, approximate cost of your build and of course any tips or suggestions you all may have for me. I thank you all in advance as I am positive I will receive some outstanding advice. As always pics are greatly appreciated

Tony
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Take two pcs. of flat corrugated cardboard the same size and put one on top the other and duct tape around three sides leaving the bottom open.
Drive two pcs. of rebar in the ground and slip your newly made target backer over them.  Done. Not much of anything more portable or simple.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Trinigunny73:
Take two pcs. of flat corrugated cardboard the same size and put one on top the other and duct tape around three sides leaving the bottom open.
Drive two pcs. of rebar in the ground and slip your newly made target backer over them.  Done. Not much of anything more portable or simple.
View Quote

Thanks Trini but I am looking for something that will support the weight of three 1/2" thick pieces of steel without sagging or flexing after prolonged use or during windy conditions
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you google PVC pipe target stands, might work for ya.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a welder five pieces of rerod and some brackets . We shoot the hell out of these with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I had someone give me an old 2 person swing, I hang several steel gongs down from the top off hooks drilled into the top bar. I also have a chain I hang from 1 side to the other and can hang 6-8 6in gongs from. Fun seeing them rock and the sound is audible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DonkeyPunch376:
. The stand will have to hold 3 targets 1/2" thick AR500 steel 4", 6" and 8" targets. Since this will be used at a public range I would like something that has a slight downward angle for improved safety of all persons near my shooting location.
View Quote

I have a number of steel targets this size. Cut an appropriate length (say 5 to 6 feet)  of  1-1/2" steel angle iron. The thicker the angle iron the better, but anything will work. Drill a 1/2" hole in one end and use a chop-saw to cut angles on the other end to form a sharp point. Get some stiff springs, old valve springs work great. Bolt the steel target to the angle iron, putting the spring between the target and the angle. Before bolting the target on, use a T-post driver to drive the angle iron into the ground and you're gtg, as they say around here. Very light weight and very portable. The angle iron easily deflects everything to one side or the other, even a direct hit to the middle.

The only thing I would add, if you have a welder, weld a short length of pipe in the mounting hole for the bolt to go through, otherwise, the hole will eventually crush down from repeated pounding by the T-post driver. Maybe drilling the hole several inches down from the top would do just as well.

The only hard part is drilling the hole because of the angle. I used a grinder to put a flat spot in the point of the angle and started the drill there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely use some of this advice while building. One more question. How high off the ground should I place the targets. I generally shoot from bench?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will definitely use some of this advice while building. One more question. How high off the ground should I place the targets. I generally shoot from bench?
View Quote

How high is your backstop? You want the rounds to hit in the center of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

You would want the gun  level on the bench and the target inline with that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
If you have a welder five pieces of rerod and some brackets . We shoot the hell out of these with no issues.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/Easy_E_photos/20140529_140000_zpscgtfzodq.jpg
View Quote

Wow!!   Simple and effective.  I like the bolted on rubber strapping which holds the targets on too.  Strong enough to take a hit and still hold.  

I've read that the more a target can swing at impact, it's far less likely to have a ricochet
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:11:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonkeyPunch376] [#11]
i have to shoot at a local range so the backstop is pretty high, I figure 15-20 feet. I was planning on the height of the target being somewhere around 3 or 4 feet so I guess that will work. The rubber strips are a really good idea. Is that just strips of an old tire? I also like the angle steel idea but I think it will be too much of a pain in the ass to drill and align holes. Would round pipe be ok for use as the main support structure?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top