Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2020 10:14:22 PM EDT
I put my tourniquet in my pocket but I need to be able to carry the following items as well and I hate having stuff in my pocket:

Pressure bandage
Clotting gauze
Small 4×4×.5 kit of misc medical gear

I would like a thin elastic band with pockets that could either be worn diagonally or horizontally across the torso or above the knee.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking everyday carry, on web gear battle belt, or full battle rattle (tac vest and the nines)?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#2]
EDC I carry a full med kit daily.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, this leads me to alot more questions but i'll answer the best I can.

First our ideas of a full medkit probably vastly differ. You kinda threw me off with the header of carrying a medkit on your torso or thigh. I'm assuming you dont walk around the grocery store with a thigh rig full of med supplies. So my assumtion is you want to carry a "blow out kit" on you at all times concealed and out of sight. Blue Force Gear makes a micro trauma now pouch that is relatively small (relatively) and you can pack essentials in there. Maybe a belt holster for your tourniquet if your so inclined. That's alot of shit to carry around (probably got a pistol and spare mags as well) unless your accustomed to rolling with a bat belt.

My advice though, if you are sincere about being prepared medically is carry a tourn'ie on you and have a medical bag in your vehicle. Most med supplies is in sealed packaging to keep it sterile. The wear and tear of it constantly being on your person means the packaging will give way at some point. Weather, movement and sweat will degrade the seal and bad juju can seep in at some point if your not diligent about cycling through the old with the new, and that can induce problems for the patient down the road. Do what you can in the moment and then retrieve the med bag that has more supplies. Stop the bleed, open the airway, direct someone to preform CPR, retrieve the AED if its in house, call 911 and get the Medic rolling ASAP 2) a blow out kit is usually for a buddy to work on you if your injured, meaning that  the medkit has to be known its on you and where at on your body and who's ever working on you knows how to use the supplies contained in it. Its a patch job until medics or the proper tools are on scene to help stave off the problem, real definitive care is in the hospital with Doctors. And not just any hospital, the right hospital. Some hospitals dont have the capabilities to handle traumas, burns, strokes, cardiac conditions. 3.) medical supplies is inherently bulky, there 's no real way to conceal it. If you try, you'll look like a ninja turtle without the ninja.

A medic bag in your vehicle you can pack without having to try to compromise space or to keep it hidden on your body. Im a civie medic so I roll by the A,B,C's. Airway, Breathing, and Circulation. Plus you can keep diagnostic equipment on hand in the bag such as a glucometer, stethoscope, pulse Ox, and BP cuff.

Airway: NPA's, OPA's, Igels or CombiTubes
Breathing: Bag Valve Mask, Chest Needles, Chest Seals
Circulation: QuikClot, Kurlex, Tape, Coban, more Tourniquets.

Then you have immobilization such as C-Collar's, SAM splints.
Extrication: Some sort of heavy duty lift sheet.

IV supplies and Meds, Intubation and more advanced tools if your training allows.

Above all as this is the Training forum so the idea is to get training if you don't have it already. You shouldn't use medical equipment until you've had training on how, when and why to use it. Sometimes more harm than good can come from taking the wrong treatment approach or using a medical device in the wrong fashion. Many of the Gun community have TCCC courses, which are usually quick and dirty instruction on trauma. If your rural ,a wilderness med course would pay dividends. But if you have a local community college take a first responders course. Not only will that give you trauma training but will also show you how to deal with common medic problems, Seizures, Diabetic emergencies, Ground level falls for the elderly, Stabilizing a patient in a bad car wreak and how to take vitals in order to recognize an underlying condition. An EMT course is usually a semester and if you have the time and will get you even more understanding of medical emergencies. EMT-I and Paramedic course require a big commitment, time and money, but its a pretty good job.

If you have this training and understanding already and I'm just blowing hot air then I apologize for the long winded response but hope anybody else who reads this can garner some helpful information.

V-Idiot2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top