Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2020 12:14:12 PM EDT
I was just hoping to get some tips/advice or even some drills or exercises I can do to stop myself from blinking after the trigger press.  On the first shot I see the sights/dot just fine, good trigger press, shot goes where I want and expect, but then I think I'm blinking when the shot breaks so it is costing me time tracking my sights/dot and taking the next shot.  I don't "see" the sights/dot after the shot breaks and between shots.  I have to "re-acquire" the dot after the shot breaks, and thus I have no idea where the shot actually landed.

I'm shooting a red dot and when I analyze my shooting I can remember seeing the sight picture I want and pressing the trigger, the shot breaks, but then I have no idea where the dot "went" and I just sort of automatically find and reacquire it to set up for the next shot.  I don't ever remember "seeing" the dot bounce up and down or track.  So the only reason for this I can think of is that I'm blinking.

I don't think I'm blinking all the time, just sometimes.  I'm not sure why.  Sometimes I'll shoot a string of fire at a moderate pace (1 round per half second or so) and track the dot just fine.  Other times I break the first shot and as I'm setting up for the next shot I'm realizing that I don't recall ever seeing the sights track.  The shot broke, the sights/muzzle moved, and I have no idea where or why.

I think that my muscle memory is just "assuming" the sights are tracking up and down and automatically correcting so maybe I'm not even tracking at all but rather I'm "cheating" and just adjusting for what I THINK the sights did instead of what they really did.

Any hints, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
1.  Double plug with earplugs and muffs
2.  Start focusing your eyes on the target instead of the dot/sights
3.  Focus your mind on grip and trigger instead of sight picture

I'd recommend you do a lot of work at close distance ~3yards while you're working out this issue before backing off to longer distance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Upping the rest pro helped me with that when I first started shooting seriously. The noise is what the main thing making me flinch/blink.

I also agree with starting closer and just getting a lot of range time in to get used to it. Maybe try incorporating some snap caps to see if you can catch yourself doing it
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Consciously watch for the muzzle blast…
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Good topic!!

I find that practice with .22LR tends to help
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Look for the ejected brass or muzzle flash.  If you can see it your eyes are open.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
1.  Double plug with earplugs and muffs
2.  Start focusing your eyes on the target instead of the dot/sights
3.  Focus your mind on grip and trigger instead of sight picture

I'd recommend you do a lot of work at close distance ~3yards while you're working out this issue before backing off to longer distance.
View Quote

OP, this guy just gave you the info you need for free. It’s not your flinching, it’s your fundamentals and mechanics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
1. Double ear pro (foamies properly inserted in your ear canal, and hard ears)
2. Flex your eye(s) open.  Looks kind of like this:
3. When you practice live slow fire and dry fire: as you press the trigger, think about moving it smoothly to the rear as far as you can without firing the gun.  Every time the gun fires will be a bit of a surprise to you.  Stupid mind trick?  Yes.  But works, so not stupid.  
4. Dry fire should be 10x to 100x live fire. No, really.  

Thank me later.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top