Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2010 6:16:20 PM EDT
I'd like to get a Mossberg 930 SPX for home defense and 3 gun events. Anyone have any input on them? TIA
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been rock solid.  It has fed all the ammo I have put through it, including low recoil slugs, buckshot and light birdshot.  The sights on mine are right on.  It is a good value.  I love this shotgun.  

Others have not had as much luck.  Many early models had front sights canted to one side.  Mossberg changed the front sight design and I believe is fixing others under warranty.  And some have had feeding problems.  I'm not sure of the source of these problems, could be cleaning/maintenance or not breaking in correctly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ninemmbill:
Mine has been rock solid.  It has fed all the ammo I have put through it, including low recoil slugs, buckshot and light birdshot.  The sights on mine are right on.  It is a good value.  I love this shotgun.

+1. Mine has been totally reliable and fun as hell to shoot.

The shortcoming for three-gun is the lack of removable choke tubes. That being said, I think I can get a set of chokes and have the barrel threaded for $150 door to door. That still comes out cheaper than the SLP and has the safety where I want it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I originally had some problems with my 930 SPX. The front sight was slightly canted and the front sight was too low.  I sent the barrel back to Mossberg and they replaced the sight.

My 930 SPX has eaten everything #7 shot, buck and Slugs from (Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady: both low recoil, regular and mangum) the only thing I had problems with is Fiocchi low recoil buck which is 100 FPS slower then other low-recoil rounds.

FWIW, I paid $540.00 new on Gunbroker.

I did some extra mods to mine: I lengthened and polished the forcing cone, had the barrel cut to accept Rem-chokes, bought Nordic Comp extensions (and currently waiting for my tritum LPA sights to come in).

I originally wanted a Benelli M4 but after reading about BATF laws and the inability to add aftermarket extension tubes, pistol grips etc (because it is an import) I decided to go homegrown with Mossberg.  The Mossberg may not leave the shop as nice as a Benelli or even a FN, but you can upgrade it to you own liking.  After all the modifications, I still have less then a FN, and in my opnion a lot more versatile.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the Mossberg even after reading about some problems, because of price/features and the position of the safety.  I shoot shotgun least of all my guns, so didn't want to spend $1000.

I love FN, but they seem to be re-branded Winchesters, so I don't want to pay Benelli prices,  And I hate crossbolt sfaeties.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I had one - and it never ran right. It had a problem cycling regular birdshot, but was ok with slugs. It would fail to eject and for some reason the spent shell hull would stick to the interior of the barrel. It went to customer service twice. Since it was unreliable for HD or 3 gun, I sold it at a loss. Sticking with an 870 now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one as well, like it a lot. Haven't shot anything other than slugs and 00 buck out of it. Slugs are extremeky accurate, 00 grouped nicely  Just waiting for NW weather to clear up so I can shoot some birdshot winchester ammo out of it (which my indoor shooting range wont allow).
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one that I put an Aimpoint on every fall and hunt with. I get saucer sized groups with the cheap Winchester rifled slugs at 100 yards. Shoots low recoil Ranger 4buck with no problems. I like the position of the safety.  I would think about your stock choice. How easy is it to manipulate that safety on the backstrap with a pistol grip? I think it might be awkward? Not so with a standard stock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Had mine since about May of 2010.  Put around 1,000 rds of birdshot 7.5 & 8, around 300rds of 00 buck and probably 200 slugs in the 1st 2 months I had it. (yes I have a large stock pile of 12 gauge).  I love the hell out it. It shoots like a champ cean or dirty.  I put around 600 to 700 rds of assorted birdshot, buck & slug without cleaning it over the course of a month.  It did'nt care, it would cycle a little slow if I left it really dirty and dry but still fed.  I'd  say get one.  Most likely you will love it as much as the rest of us do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my 930 Spx at the beginning of July 2011,  It has eaten everything I have put through it.  I just finished a 2 day defensive shotgun class where there were 3 of us shooting 930's and everyone of them functioned flawlessly.  One guys was brand new out of the box, his didn't like the low recoil stuff in the begining after it broke in a little it was fine.  The only problem I experienced was the screws for the pinnicay rail loosened up and came out.  But that was just a matter of loctiting them down.   I also have a 590 that I've been shooting for years, and now have decided to have the 930 as my go shotgun.  For me I found it to be more comfortable to shoot, faster and simpler to perform drills.  The only real down side is that it is a heavy beast, and take a little getting use to.  There where also Bennelis, and Barretas in the class which functioned fine as well but seem a little more complicated to run (shell trips).  I say go for it, it's better if you could fine one in a local shop that you could actually put your hands on and check it over before buying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Can any of you guys compare the cycle speed of the 930 to other semi autos?  For example, the FN/Winchester has a very fast cycle speed that I like, and the reason I'm shopping is because a hate the 'clock with a calender' cycle rate (speed is the wrong word here) of the 11-87/1100.  

Thanks-
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SCW:
Can any of you guys compare the cycle speed of the 930 to other semi autos?  For example, the FN/Winchester has a very fast cycle speed that I like, and the reason I'm shopping is because a hate the 'clock with a calender' cycle rate (speed is the wrong word here) of the 11-87/1100.

I'm pretty sure they all cycle faster than you can reset and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently got a 930 all-purpose, I have not experienced any problems while busting clays, using 00buck, Remington target load, and even that crap winchester AA. I would think the SPX cycles like mine since the functional differences are merely cosmetic.

I had no jams or misfires.
Can anyone tell me though, my one gripe is that my 930 is supposed to be a 4+1, yet I can only get 2+1 using 2.3/4, I try to get a third shell in the tube and can't. I disasembled and found no issues so whats the prob?
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 930SPX last AUG. in prep for a class..

I ran it hard and it did just fine and cycled everything I fed it including cheap mil-spec olin buckshot.
Since then I have added a few things to it, and it still runs great...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top