Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2019 7:53:25 AM EDT
Sulfanilamide; the powder used in WWII to treat open wounds (then bandage up)

An anti microbial
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so. The effectiveness was better than nothing, but now, one could keep some oral levofloxacin or ciprofloxacin in your bag, if one could not swallow for whatever reason, grind it up and put it in their mouth.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 7:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brown424] [#2]
Treatment Options Vaginal Yeast Infection Sulfanilamide MedFacts
Print  Share
Sulfanilamide
Generic Name: Sulfanilamide (sul fa NIL a mide)
Brand Name: AVC Vaginal

Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 9, 2019.

OverviewSide EffectsDosageProfessionalPregnancyMore
Uses of Sulfanilamide:

It is used to treat vaginal infections.
It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Sulfanilamide?
If you have an allergy to sulfanilamide or any other part of sulfanilamide.
If you have a sulfa allergy.
If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.

Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take sulfanilamide with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.

What are some things I need to know or do while I take Sulfanilamide?
Tell all of your health care providers that you take sulfanilamide. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using sulfanilamide while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Sulfanilamide) best taken?
Use sulfanilamide as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.

Do not take sulfanilamide by mouth. For vaginal use only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).

How is your vag feeling OP???
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Clueless about the subject
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like an early sulfa antibiotic.  There are better choices now, for both oral and intravenous routes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It was a common sulfa drug in the 30's-40's.  Not too many antibiotic options prior to the production of penicillin.

For topical use in a pinch, flushing a wound with something like half or quarter strength Dakin's solution would be a worthy alternative.  WWI vs WWII medicine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top