Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2022 9:28:41 PM EDT
Situation- I am a retired LE instructor, the only NRA cert I hold is Patrol Rifle Instr.  All the rest of my certificates came from various state agencies, etc.  Prior LE academy instructor, lead agency instructor, developed some programs from the ground up, and supervised other instructors.  Armorer, SWAT, etc etc etc.  

Also am a kitchen table FFL.  Since retiring I get a fair amount of requests to do some instruction from folks who are picking up guns and clearly could use some training.

I have never been much of a fan of the regular (non-LE) NRA instructor program, just based on some of the instructors I have seen.  But I would like to add some NRA certificates if I am going to be instructing, just for appearances and liability.  But currently there are no LE instructor level classes on the west coast anywhere for handgun or tactical.  Sounds like covid BS put a serious dent in their program.

So looking into the regular civilian side, I contacted one of the folks putting on their instructor classes, and was told that I literally would need to start from zero:

1- Attend a pistol training class for beginners.  (So basic it doesn’t even include malfunction drills.)

2- Attend their Basic Instructor Training class

3- Attend the pistol training class for instructor.

All while paying $100-200 a class, for basic stuff that I have taught before to new instructors....  kind of spendy and seems repetitious for the level of skill it puts out.  

And secondly, I want to help out my gun club by going thru the Chief Range Safety Officer class, which gives NRA’s blessing to train up other RSO’s.  (Again something I have done before).
Apparently this requires that I obtain an NRA Instructor Certificate of one type or another first, then obtain the basic RSO certificate, then obtain the Chief RSO certificate.  

And he told me that my being an NRA LE instructor does not even count for being an instructor, so to do the RSO stuff I need to get the civilian side Instructor certificate first.  

So if true, my doing the club a huge favor would now entail multiple classes and a lot of money, just so I can sign off on folks to run weekend competitions and such.

Honestly, I am gonna call national and verify if all that is correct, and if so I may just wash my hands of the NRA until they get some LE level instructor classes up again.  What a ridiculous deal...

I am going to do the IALEFI Master Instructor refresher class this summer to get some current hours under my belt and just have some fun.  Would rather spend the money there than at a “this is a pistol” class...

So the questions I have now are:

How many instructors are instructing privately without an NRA certificate?

Is there enough money in teaching the basic NRA user level classes that it is worth jumping thru these hoops and spending the money to do it?  

How much does an NRA civilian instructor make when they run a basic pistol class, a CCW class, etc etc?  

And does having an NRA certificate really mean that much?  I mean I instructed for nearly 20 years before I went thru their Patrol Rifle Instructor class (which was my 4th Patrol Rifle instructor class).  Is the NRA really needed on the private side or not?  

I am not wanting to work full time, nor work at the wages a typical shooting range pays their staff.  On the other hand I am too worn out and broken down to fly around the country a bunch trying to teach armorer classes or instructing.  So doing a few classes here and there, doing some basic and mid level instruction, seems like it might be the way to do it.  

Appreciate any thoughts and input from those in the business.

Also would take any recommendations on the required insurance as well.  Almost forgot about that issue...
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
NRA Instructor certs is a method of gate Keeping

Some ranges will require NRA certs only due to the fact that they are heavily into the NRA

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#2]
In my state they wrote it into codified law that you have to be "NRA" certified in order to teach ccp classes.

I'd prefer to spend my time and money getting the law changed than getting the cert.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The civilian side of NRA is BASIC safety and marksmanship.   The instructors courses are how to teach that basic level.  And yes you start from the beginning.   If your endgame is for profit instruction, then you need to look at your business plan.   I don't see how I could do it in the market here in TX.   I could see me doing PT work with a couple of ranges to stay busy.  

In some states the last 10 years or so the cash cow of training is Basic pistol which qualifies in several states as a their CCW / LTC / CHL gateway.    

From a range management and club safety standpoint our club did RSO / CRSO qualifications on all shooters at our matches 20 yrs ago.  That has helped in the past on insurance for the club as well as really sped up the line.   So don't discount those types of thoughts on certification opportunities aside from instruction.   I use those skills far more often than I do instructors skills.    

But you likely need to better define your end state or game.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That was kind of what I had in mind on the RSO side of the problem- make sure we have all the user groups on the same page.  

As far as instructing, WA has zero training requirement for CHL, OR has only a very basic training class that can be done online.  But I believe armed security training and quals do have some requirements, and I keep hearing about a fair amount of HR218/LEOSA qual requests. (Not sure how that works for private instructors).  My old agency does our own retirees free of charge, and nobody else, but the neighboring one gets $60 a qual from out of state retirees apparently and does bunches.  

All the private ranges are too far to drive to daily to work at at the wage they likely will pay.  And I don’t want to work full time anyhow.  

And while I don’t mind teaching very basic shooters, (done it plenty) it is not my preference to only do that.  Doing some mid level classes would be more my speed, if there is the demand.  I don’t believe there is any civilian instruction locally fitting that mid level niche.  

Or hell- if there is enough money in it, teaching basic NRA classes off and on might be the ticket.  Everything costs $100-200 for a one day class.  Would like to know how much of that goes to the NRA, and how much to the instructor (minus range costs obviously).

The age old problem of available cheap land for a range vs distance to population center is kind of what is stopping me from just building my own place of some sort.  Acreage here is ridiculous.  Even the cheaper places have Mcmansions too close to want to give it a try.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tac556:
That was kind of what I had in mind on the RSO side of the problem- make sure we have all the user groups on the same page.  

As far as instructing, WA has zero training requirement for CHL, OR has only a very basic training class that can be done online.  But I believe armed security training and quals do have some requirements, and I keep hearing about a fair amount of HR218/LEOSA qual requests. (Not sure how that works for private instructors).  My old agency does our own retirees free of charge, and nobody else, but the neighboring one gets $60 a qual from out of state retirees apparently and does bunches.  

All the private ranges are too far to drive to daily to work at at the wage they likely will pay.  And I don’t want to work full time anyhow.  

And while I don’t mind teaching very basic shooters, (done it plenty) it is not my preference to only do that.  Doing some mid level classes would be more my speed, if there is the demand.  I don’t believe there is any civilian instruction locally fitting that mid level niche.  

Or hell- if there is enough money in it, teaching basic NRA classes off and on might be the ticket.  Everything costs $100-200 for a one day class.  Would like to know how much of that goes to the NRA, and how much to the instructor (minus range costs obviously).

The age old problem of available cheap land for a range vs distance to population center is kind of what is stopping me from just building my own place of some sort.  Acreage here is ridiculous.  Even the cheaper places have Mcmansions too close to want to give it a try.  

View Quote

As an NRA instructor you must provide NRA student packets (typically $10-25 depending on the class).  There is a small fee for your NRA credentials (initial plus renewal every 2 years).  That's pretty much it.  The "Blended" (combined online/in-person) NRA Basic Pistol class has a Fee that goes to the NRA, but is less popular to teach than the standard 100% in-person for that reason.

1-day courses like NRA Pistol, Defensive Pistol, or Personal Protection In the Home with modest round counts (100-200rds) have been my most popular NRA courses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 7:10:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#6]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Situation- I am a retired LE instructor, the only NRA cert I hold is Patrol Rifle Instr.  All the rest of my certificates came from various state agencies, etc.  Prior LE academy instructor, lead agency instructor, developed some programs from the ground up, and supervised other instructors.  Armorer, SWAT, etc etc etc.  

Also am a kitchen table FFL.  Since retiring I get a fair amount of requests to do some instruction from folks who are picking up guns and clearly could use some training.

I have never been much of a fan of the regular (non-LE) NRA instructor program, just based on some of the instructors I have seen.  But I would like to add some NRA certificates if I am going to be instructing, just for appearances and liability.  But currently there are no LE instructor level classes on the west coast anywhere for handgun or tactical.  Sounds like covid BS put a serious dent in their program.

So looking into the regular civilian side, I contacted one of the folks putting on their instructor classes, and was told that I literally would need to start from zero:

1- Attend a pistol training class for beginners.  (So basic it doesn’t even include malfunction drills.)

2- Attend their Basic Instructor Training class

3- Attend the pistol training class for instructor.

All while paying $100-200 a class, for basic stuff that I have taught before to new instructors....  kind of spendy and seems repetitious for the level of skill it puts out.  

And secondly, I want to help out my gun club by going thru the Chief Range Safety Officer class, which gives NRA’s blessing to train up other RSO’s.  (Again something I have done before).
Apparently this requires that I obtain an NRA Instructor Certificate of one type or another first, then obtain the basic RSO certificate, then obtain the Chief RSO certificate.  

And he told me that my being an NRA LE instructor does not even count for being an instructor, so to do the RSO stuff I need to get the civilian side Instructor certificate first.  

So if true, my doing the club a huge favor would now entail multiple classes and a lot of money, just so I can sign off on folks to run weekend competitions and such.

Honestly, I am gonna call national and verify if all that is correct, and if so I may just wash my hands of the NRA until they get some LE level instructor classes up again.  What a ridiculous deal...

I am going to do the IALEFI Master Instructor refresher class this summer to get some current hours under my belt and just have some fun.  Would rather spend the money there than at a “this is a pistol” class...

So the questions I have now are:

Is there enough money in teaching the basic NRA user level classes that it is worth jumping thru these hoops and spending the money to do it?  

How much does an NRA civilian instructor make when they run a basic pistol class, a CCW class, etc etc?  

And does having an NRA certificate really mean that much?  I mean I instructed for nearly 20 years before I went thru their Patrol Rifle Instructor class (which was my 4th Patrol Rifle instructor class).  Is the NRA really needed on the private side or not?  

I am not wanting to work full time, nor work at the wages a typical shooting range pays their staff.  On the other hand I am too worn out and broken down to fly around the country a bunch trying to teach armorer classes or instructing.  So doing a few classes here and there, doing some basic and mid level instruction, seems like it might be the way to do it.  

Also would take any recommendations on the required insurance as well.  Almost forgot about that issue...
View Quote

@tac556

I run a small training business on the side and have been doing so for about ten years now. Business was booming years ago but has certainly slowed down over the past couple years. I've enjoyed bringing in some of the top names in the industry and hosting their classes.

I'm fortunate as I have my own range and classroom. Here are my thoughts...

BS... of course they said that, they want to fill their classes with YOUR BODY and take YOUR MONEY. While it would certainly help your Instructor Portfolio, it's not a "must have".

The only NRA cert. I have is the RSO. Friend certified me just because... it's been worthless to me actually.

Depends on your market area and interest. Do you have your own range and classroom? If not, you're going to have to pay to play. Then you will have to find a range that "welcomes" outside trainers as competition for students can be tough. There's no shortage of NRA folks doing NRA classes. There is overhead in conducting classes as well.  

I'd suggest looking up various NRA classes offered in your area to see what the classes are running. Not sure if NRA has a "price schedule" you have to follow, I doubt it. CC classes are so cheap now days it's hard to make money worth your time unless you do like 25+ people at a time. I stopped doing CC classes.

Ammo prices and general availability has not been good for the training industry. Like I mentioned earlier, there was a time I could book several classes each month, I was doing classes so often the wife kind of got on my ass about doing them on my weekends off.

IMO you don't "need" NRA certs but they do have "name recognition". LOTS of big name trainers fill classes and they don't have anything from the NRA, their background and military/LE credentials speak for them. There was another thread recently about training and someone posted that to attract clients you have to provide a reason why they would want to come train with you... whether it be your past experience or credentials, think in terms of WHY someone would spend money to train with you.

As far as insurance goes and doing things like making an LLC, insurance has limits especially on med payments. IMO it's more eye candy than real protection, I'm sure others will disagree. Better than nothing? Sure.

NOTHING, including a waiver of liability (if your state recognizes them) will protect you directly from acts of negligence. Nothing will insulate you from personal liability despite what some might say. Being a training provider has risks.

I've never been in it for the money, I don't make a living doing it, nor does it pay any of my bills. I do it mainly to have fun, meet like minded people, network, and to keep my skills fresh. With that said, there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes to conduct successful classes. I'd suggest seeing if you can't find someone who will let you tag along for a class to see just what all goes into conducting private training classes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]
You can search your area for what classes are offered in your area and what the going prices are:

https://www.nrainstructors.org/Search.aspx
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Having met "NRA certified instructors", I would say skip it unless you need it for range use or something... its like a for profit college and means nothing to most people IMO

I have been doing my own successful training program with 0 certifications (other than BCA) and mostly word of mouth because it produces results... I don't do it full time and I average 1-2 students/wk @ $80/hr

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Appreciate all the info and feedback.

Business structure is already in place with the FFL.  I know the costs of scheduling ranges, supplies, etc, as that was part of my job as a training supervisor for a while.  Range availability nearby is not great though.  For example, my old agency is building a small range indoors, knowing it doesn’t have the capacity to even meet their own training needs.  So scheduling pressure from LE on the outside ranges will continue to be an issue.  

My club (out in BFE) will rent out a range by the day or half day at a reasonable price if I get to the point of having actual classes with enough people, for doing 1 on 1 it won’t cost anything beyond their non-member range fee (but we would not have exclusive range use either).  But they don’t have a classroom either.  

Beginning to realize how good I had it with a couple available classrooms, students being paid to be there, and someone else paying the bills.  

I do have some other job opportunities staring me in the face as well, so deciding on the route forward is going to take some digging into those avenues as well, but this one would give me the most freedom.  I don’t have to do anything, so I can be a bit picky.

This IALEFI class might get me more motivated, or possibly just remind me that I am getting to old to enjoy standing out in the sun all day!

Thanks again everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
NRA Instructor certs is a method of gate Keeping

Some ranges will require NRA certs only due to the fact that they are heavily into the NRA

View Quote

This...

I got it years ago, it's proven to be worthless and just a moneymaker for the NRA.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I was unable to get my LEO instructor credentials from the academy to be accepted to the Texas DPS instructor course.

I had to get the NRA Instructors course to be accepted by DPS which I did.  I'll be able to teach the Tx CHL classes and do LEOSA recertifications which will be my main focus as I know a lot of retired LEOs.

I do plan to offer training geared more for novice shooters and those that need to improve their skills.  Nothing high speed just good fundamentals but at this point will not teach the NRA Basic Pistol.  I'm at the beginning stages of this as a civilian but I did do plenty as a LEO instructor so I feel confident.

The next issue is insurance and that's looking like a can of worms right now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Lockton is pretty much the choice for insurance if you have your NRA instructor cert.  The others charge a lot more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top