Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 11:12:25 PM EDT
I just purchased a Rem. 700 SPS tactical from a member off the EE.

Walk me through the best way to work up a load for this rifle.  I understand how to do and the theory behind the ladder test, but how do I know what powder,how many grains, and what bullet to start with.

There is also another test where you load up 5 ea. of rounds in increments of around .3 gr's (I think) and shoot one shot of each load into different targets and then start over when you get to the end and shoot at the first target with the first load until you've fired 5 rounds into each target.  (That's about as clear as I can make it.)  You don't choose the load that groups the tightest, but you look at the 3 targets that most resemble one another and choose the middle one.  It seems like a better test, but I'm not convinced that it gives you enough advantage to make it worth the time.  I also don't understand how it's gonna be the most accurate load if it wasn't the tightest group.  I think the idea is that it's the most stable load for all types of shooting conditions.  I'd like thoughts on that.

I purchased this rifle to use at the local club.  The 3rd Sat. of the month a few of us get together and have a little friendly competition shooting off the bench.  There are 5 targets each at 100 through 400 yards.  The 100 yard has a target with a 1 inch hole that you must shoot 3 rounds through.

I'd prefer a bullet that would also be a good choice for deer and coyote hunting.  Does the 168 gr. HPBT fit this criteria?  (seems to be the "go to" bullet)?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OhioLongRange] [#1]
168 308 is ok to 850y, beyond that, the 175/178 is a better bet.. and if you use the Amax it will be a monster on deer and coyotes...  also cheaper then SMK's HPBT's can be hit or mis on expansion.. the amax is a better match/hunting load
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-178-gr-A-MAX/
dont reinvent the wheel..

here is 12 pages of "best loads" for 308
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517&nt=12&page=1

search each page for 175/178
copy the load into note pad
when done, look at what the most use powder choice was
then look at the most used load
start there, work up/down .2 to fin tune it..
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people have had good luck with the optimum charge weight method.

Also here is a good read on getting started.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mort:
Some people have had good luck with the optimum charge weight method.

Also here is a good read on getting started.

There are some very interesting concepts presented in the above links.  I've been studying them over, and I think they are what I have been suspecting about barrel harmonics and accuracy nodes.  I just never considered it would be based on longitudinal shock wave.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not sell the Sierra 155 Palma short.

It was specifically designed for 1000 yard matches
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry for the necropost but I needed a tag... thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top