Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2019 7:00:23 PM EDT
Long story short, I was looking at the terms of my Health Savings Account at work.  Some of the qualifying purchases are things like "first aid kits" and "bandages for torn or injured skin".  Has anyone here ever used an HSA to purchase tourniquets, emergency trauma dressings, chest seals, etc.  I'm leaving my current employer soon, and don't want my HSA to go to waste, but also don't want to pay taxes and fines because I purchased something that doesn't qualify.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My buddie used it for a IFAK a few years ago and it was allowable, not sure if there was any change
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
We used to be able to.  Now I think everything requires a prescription.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SBD2:
My buddie used it for a IFAK a few years ago and it was allowable, not sure if there was any change
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm going to talk to the guy who does my taxes and get some input from him as well.  If I can't use it for what I'd like, it looks like I'll be stocking up on some hiking first aid kits and other odds and ends from the HSA Store online.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Was able to get HSA-receipts from both Amazon and Dark Angel last year for a first aid kit (Amazon) and an Trauma kit (DAM).

Reimbursed from my HSA with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CatSnipah:
Was able to get HSA-receipts from both Amazon and Dark Angel last year for a first aid kit (Amazon) and an Trauma kit (DAM).

View Quote
Did you simply contact them and ask for an HSA receipt?  Or just show your HSA provider the order confirmation?  I'll have to take a look at this.  My HSA has a card attached to money already put in the account that I can use for purchases, no reimbursement necessary.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pgm74] [#6]
I've used my HSA FSA funds for trauma kits and bleeding control components before without any issues.  I think "first aid kits" and "bandages" are what I claimed all the stuff under.  It might help to buy them as prebuilt kits so they show as a kit on the receipt if you think they'll give you any trouble over certain components.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pgm74:
I've used my HSA funds for trauma kits and bleeding control components before without any issues.  I think "first aid kits" and "bandages" are what I claimed all the stuff under.  It might help to buy them as prebuilt kits so they show as a kit on the receipt if you think they'll give you any trouble over certain components.
View Quote
That was my plan, so that the receipt would actually say "first aid kit".  Was thinking of getting a couple Emergency Trauma Bandages, as it has "bandage" in the name.  Also, where did you purchase from?

Now for those that have done this, did you actually have to claim this on your tax return?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you 'waste' an HSA by changing employers?

Is it really a FSA and not an HSA?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By vjf915:
Did you simply contact them and ask for an HSA receipt?  Or just show your HSA provider the order confirmation?  I'll have to take a look at this.  My HSA has a card attached to money already put in the account that I can use for purchases, no reimbursement necessary.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CatSnipah:

Amazon has a special HSA section, you can use your card as payment source and get a receipt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Taxmantoo:
View Quote
My mistake.  You're right.  I'm talking about my FSA.  I mixed up the terminology and plans.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]
where did you purchase from?
View Quote
Dark Angel, North American Rescue, Amazon
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I'll have to look at the plan again.  However I was under the impression that when I leave, I do not get to keep the money in the HSA.  At the very least, they will most likely keep the money they contributed, which is a significant portion.

Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Amazon has a special HSA section, you can use your card as payment source and get a receipt.
That's tits, thank you.  Checking it out now.

Dark Angel, North American Rescue, Amazon
I even emailed NAR about this, and they couldn't say one way or another whether it was okay or not.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: helmet91] [#13]
I've used my HSA FSA funds for trauma kits and bleeding control components before without any issues.  I think "first aid kits" and "bandages" are what I claimed all the stuff under.  It might help to buy them as prebuilt kits so they show as a kit on the receipt if you think they'll give you any trouble over certain components.
View Quote
@pgm74 - are you a Fed?  This a great idea...

ETA: Checked the Fed FSA site and it looks like I'm good to go on a "first aid kit" being covered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By helmet91:

ETA: Checked the Fed FSA site and it looks like I'm good to go on a "first aid kit" being covered.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By helmet91:

No, I'm not a Fed.  I work for local government.  Our FSA is handled through a company called WageWorks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]

View Quote
I tried to use my HCFSA card to pay my prescription.  My card was refused because non-prescription eye drops were on the ticket.  Removed eye drops and the card went through.

They are very cunty about what they allow.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:25:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: loquacious] [#17]
My HSA stayed with me when I left my employer a few years ago and is usable. You just can't contribute to it anymore. Talk to your company HR dept and inquire
into the usage of your HSA account after employment with them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:32:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bailey559] [#18]
I'll have to look at the plan again.  However I was under the impression that when I leave, I do not get to keep the money in the HSA.  At the very least, they will most likely keep the money they contributed, which is a significant portion.
View All Quotes

I don't believe either of those limitations can be applied to HSAs.  Either you're wrong about your HSA, or you don't have an HSA (likely an FSA or something similar).
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:37:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#19]
are you talking HSA or FSA

HSA is your money and it never goes away, you change employers you keep it and keep using it to pay medical bills. It is a real bank account in your name outside of your employer's control

FSA goes away at the end of the year / employment I think
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#20]
Are you sure you have an HSA not an FSA?

You keep saying HSA but it seems like you're describing an FSA?

@helmet91
I use my FSA for "first aid kits" all the time. I literally judt purchased two MFAK Mini kits from NAR and submitted my FSA reimbursement form through FSAFEDs. There is an option for "first aid kit". I have also been approved from Amazon for just cat-t, bandages, gauzes, etc. Works every time.

I don't know why an HSA would be any different.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#21]
If ordering from NAR, be sure to use coupon code NSTBM2019 for 25% off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Definitely talking about HSA, not an FSA here.  I must be mistaken about the terms then, and will probably just hold on to the funds for copays and such.  Maybe a couple IFAK's here and there lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Are you sure you have an HSA not an FSA?

You keep saying HSA but it seems like you're describing an FSA?

@helmet91
I use my FSA for "first aid kits" all the time. I literally judt purchased two MFAK Mini kits from NAR and submitted my FSA reimbursement form through FSAFEDs. There is an option for "first aid kit". I have also been approved from Amazon for just cat-t, bandages, gauzes, etc. Works every time.

I don't know why an HSA would be any different.
View Quote
Nice.  Thanks for confirming it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top