Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2021 11:28:12 AM EDT
I have a history of precision pistol shooting with single action pistols. And as per that I've spent time dry firing and watching the sights to make sure they stay put as the trigger breaks. And that means adjusting my finger to just the right spot. Now, my hands are not big. And so if I wrap my finger over the trigger it pulls the gun to the right as the trigger breaks, not good. So when it comes time to take a shot that must be precise, I unconsciously start sneaking my trigger finger back to where it will be most accurate, which isn't much more than the tip of my finger. Works great for handguns other than glock. Glock is fat, which makes the trigger reach long. With a glock I start missing the trigger safety in the middle and the trigger won't move, not good.
So, my question is, is there another way I am not aware of to get the glock trigger to move and still have it stay on target? Very possibly something more typical of striker fired pistols as opposed to single actions. I can't get it figured out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 12:19:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Trigger centered at the first knuckle of the trigger finger.
View Quote

Sights wobble to the right as the trigger breaks. Especially one handed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
First, the Glock pistol was never designed to be a "precision" gun.  It's a fighting pistol at heart.  Having said that, I have no problem hitting 6" plates at 25 yards.  IMHO, that's acceptable for what the Glock pistol is.  If you really want a precision pistol go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
First, the Glock pistol was never designed to be a "precision" gun.  It's a fighting pistol at heart.  Having said that, I have no problem hitting 6" plates at 25 yards.  IMHO, that's acceptable for what the Glock pistol is.  If you really want a precision pistol go elsewhere.
View Quote

Kinda agree with this. I’m curious why op is so interested in making a Glock a precision shooter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Make your Glock less fat by removing backstraps.

Change the trigger shoe.

Change the trigger with a full $$$ competition system that lets you adjust pre travel without loss of safety.

Unlearn your old trigger finger placement and drill the new placement.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The Glock trigger is a pig, and there is no good way to meaningfully improve it (except maybe the new Timney trigger). The original design choice to make a trigger that only partially pre-cocks the striker made sense when they were trying to convince military and police procurement officers that their new plastic pistol was as safe and simple to train on as a revolver, but Glock’s stubborn adherence to “perfection” has left their gun burdened by a fundamentally inferior trigger from a marksman perspective when compared with fully-cocked designs like the M&P.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Kinda agree with this. I’m curious why op is so interested in making a Glock a precision shooter.
View Quote

I'm sure the glock is plenty capable if I can just shoot it better. I hate guns I can't shoot accurately. I've made 35 yard headshots on foxes with my Witness. But I would much rather have the positive attributes of glock. Holsters, sights,after market parts, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a Lone Wolf frame to try and it is WAY better. However, if there is a way to retrain myself or whatever, I'd prefer to fix me as opposed to fixing the gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Trigger centered at the first knuckle of the trigger finger.

This.  Stack the trigger to the breaking point, refine sight picture, then break the trigger.  I think what is causing your wobble is the over travel.  Theoretically the shot should be over before that wobble would affect placement, but I don’t know for sure.  

The only way I know of to minimize over travel/wobble is lighten the trigger with one of the various kits.  That way you can get off the trigger before it slams in to the frame and causes wobble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TonyF:
Which glock are we discussing?

Nothing inherently wrong with the glock trigger but allot of people do struggle with the large grip circumference of double column pistols resulting in the issue with which you are struggling. I've seen it time and time again in our classes. For 20 years I've often wondered why glock never offered a single column frame in 9mm. IMO the glock 48 is the answer. It's basically a glock 19 with a single column magazine.

I've always seen this issue as the equivalent of "dragging wood" in rifle shooting which is why as you've experienced, pressing the trigger with the joint between the distal phalanx and middle phalanx doesn't work for people with smaller hand size because it causes contact of the middle phalanx, the proximal phalanx, and the metacarpal with the frame of the pistol and that is what, in many cases, pulls shots laterally off target.

In my own experience, this is why I bought my 4th gen glock 19 and 17. I'm shooting them without either of the supplied backstraps and although the difference in grip circumference isn't all that substantial vs. gen's 1, 2 and 3, the impact to trigger reach is significant. I'm looking forward to purchasing a G48.
View Quote

I noticed my glock magazine is a lot fatter than other magazines I own. That makes the gun fatter, and so I'm having to reach forward to get to the trigger. Trigger finger is stretched forward enough that the stress pulls the gun when the trigger breaks. I had thought a gen4 19 would be the answer and it was closer, but not close enough. The lone wolf frame I just picked up is probably going to work just fine. It not only has a narrower grip it also has a different grip angle that moves the hand forward. I would still prefer a training solution if there is one instead of a gear solution.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]

(female) hand size.
View Quote

How dare you,sir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Ideally, yes. However, we're essentially discussing physics of which there are limitations. Never been a fan of trying to "purchase" competence or gear solutions but this is a matter of hand size vs. grip circumference and there are many examples of firearms designs that are not so much a matter of poor ergonomics as they are a matter of "fit".

I have often witnessed guys trying to teach their wife / GF / SO to shoot a shotgun with buttstocks that have too long a LOP for a petite female and they end up having their shoulder "tenderized" from the recoil. It was also a mistake when the LAPD adopted the Beretta 92 at a time when they were beginning in earnest to actively recruit females. That was yet another mismatch in grip circumference vs. (female) hand size.
View Quote

Truth.  Running the M9 in the Army was a pain in the anus for me and my circus carnie hands.

I have small warrior-sized hands.  And when I say warrior, I may or may not mean Xena: Warrior Princess.  I get it.  I run a Glock 45 MOS on duty and I will say that the Gen5 is the best Glock to date and the only Glock I haven’t had to do a full grip reduction on.  With Glocks, they are a major training obstacle to some and the trigger is a source of a lot of complaints.  There are few guns out there that I would ever say can compete with a Glock in terms of dead-nuts reliability, but there are plenty that out-perform the Glock when you’re counting points on a target at distance.  I would rather carry my Glock on duty in garbage conditions over what other guys I work with are carrying on duty, but the truth is that the guys running Staccato P DPO, Sig P226 Legion and Sig P320 X-Five are all going to rack up better scores at 25yds+ and have consistently tighter groups than my G45.  

There has to be a major training effort for the Glocks, and what I’ve noticed over the years as an LE Firearms Instructor is that you have to have your finger in the exact same position every time, because consistency is key.  Now, when you run aftermarket flat-blade triggers, this becomes a different dynamic and I tend to believe that the trigger becomes more forgiving to finger positioning.  In your case, if this is not a duty gun, then you may want to start looking at a mechanical remedy to this.  The worst thing that happens is that you don’t like it and you have to sell it and get something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top