Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2018 1:25:07 PM EDT
This morning I saw an article that was recently posted at LuckyGunner.com they shot the FBI Handgun Qualification Test  LuckyGunner's article states that it'd be nice for all armed citizens to be able to say that they can pass at the same standard as FBI agents.

I (mostly) agree!

But the standard seems like it is missing some important fundamentals that all people who have a weapon for self-defense should know.  So I took the posted standards from the FBI qual and added some important skills while keeping the same time and distance standards, and the exact same round count (60).

---I then spent about an hour typing my modified version here, only to hit submit and be told my post was too long.  So long story short add in shooting on the move and shooting from retention.

If I have a chance I will re-type it as several replies within this thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
How important do you think shooting on the move and shooting from retention is for the average carrier?

IMO there's enough of a hill to get people to the range for focused practice vs just pulling the trigger for an hour. Pushing them to practice something as delicate as retention shooting seems like a stretch.

Shooting on the move has some value, but it's difficult to practice effectively. Can you outline just what you have in mind for that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Retention shooting should be a fairly high priority for an armed civilian.  Consider that an opponent might try to grab and hold someone, or attack with a sharp implement.  Being able to get your gun into the fight with less of a possibility of it being taken than a standard arms outstretched draw could be helpful, or one can use the retention position to keep your arms pulled in away from a knife wielding attacker while still getting shots on target.

For movement on many of the stages that require 3 rounds then repeat I added lateral movement, one string moving toward dominant side, one moving to support side.  On stages 1 and 3 I had moving backwards, and on stage 5 walking forward from 15 yards to 7 while shooting and reloading.  The idea for 1 & 3 being to get off the X, and moving forward on stage 5 demonstrating that we need to ensure the threat is over, or that we can press forward, perhaps to keep a downed attacker from getting a dropped weapon.

Shooting from retention and shooting on the move are both taught in most defensive pistol I courses.

See LuckyGunner for the original standards I started from:  FBI Qualification Standards
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
And to be clear by movement during range training I simply mean constant movement, not running, SWAT rolls, flips, or anything.  Small steps, low speed.  Don't trip over yourself, but don't hold still to get shot at.  I get that not everyone has access to a range where this is possible.  
I believe the FBI considered round count and distance when they designed their Q course, but I seriously doubt their agents were in gunfights where they held still, and even if they did shoot while standing still its still not a great tactic.  So to counter the reaction to stand still during a gunfight I propose to move while shooting on the range.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How important do you think shooting on the move and shooting from retention is for the average carrier?

IMO there's enough of a hill to get people to the range for focused practice vs just pulling the trigger for an hour. Pushing them to practice something as delicate as retention shooting seems like a stretch.

Shooting on the move has some value, but it's difficult to practice effectively. Can you outline just what you have in mind for that?
View Quote
I agree with you. Those are usefuls skills, tactics really, but something that require a lot of training to be proficient.  A basic pistol qual like the FBIs is just a test of basic marksmanship skills, not tactics.

Plus shooting on the move from 15 yards to 7, good luck getting your average shooter to that skill level without a ton of range work. Most will end up walking to 7, then stopping to fire all the rounds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Moving forward or laterally while shooting and reloading is taught in the earliest defensive classes, and someone who shows up at their first local IDPA match is asked to do it. I don’t think it’s a big thing to ask for a CCW holder to learn to move off the X while shooting, then use a basic minimal qual to prove to themselves or others that they can.

The shooter’s skill set and level of training are probably less limiting than access to a range that would permit the movements.

The reason we train moving, no matter how fast or slow, is so that on “The Day” we are moving. If you train to stand still then you’ll fight standing still.  If you don’t know you can move, you won’t.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Moving forward or laterally while shooting and reloading is taught in the earliest defensive classes, and someone who shows up at their first local IDPA match is asked to do it. I don’t think it’s a big thing to ask for a CCW holder to learn to move off the X while shooting, then use a basic minimal qual to prove to themselves or others that they can.

The shooter’s skill set and level of training are probably less limiting than access to a range that would permit the movements.

The reason we train moving, no matter how fast or slow, is so that on “The Day” we are moving. If you train to stand still then you’ll fight standing still.  If you don’t know you can move, you won’t.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're saying its a good idea for a CCW holder to train this way, then I agree with you.

If you're saying it should be mandatory for every CCW to train this way, then I vehemently disagree with you.  I would consider that just another infringement that would keep my 75 year old mother from being able to carry.

I'm not sure which you meant.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I will never say or think that every person should always train in the same way, or that someone should be forced to try this qualification.  In my original post I used phrases like "it'd be nice for all armed citizens..." and (The FBI Qual) is missing some important fundamentals that people who have a weapon for self defense should know."

Please don't into this some kind of hidden call for gun control.  All I am proposing here is that perhaps a person who intends to be able to use a gun to survive a violent encounter test themselves using a qualification standard.

I don't want to disarm people with injuries, or disabilities, the elderly, or anyone else.  I think it'd be great if everyone decided to train until they were proficient enough to AT LEAST pass this Q course.  I think gun owners should train; I also think that if you want to buy a gun everyday then take it home and drop it in a smelter to turn it into paperclips you should be able to do that - its your time and money, not mine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you're saying its a good idea for a CCW holder to train this way, then I agree with you.

If you're saying it should be mandatory for every CCW to train this way, then I vehemently disagree with you.  I would consider that just another infringement that would keep my 75 year old mother from being able to carry.

I'm not sure which you meant.
View Quote
I would consider it to be the "Obamacare" of the gun world. You can carry a gun after you pay a 3rd party for this, that, and the other.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Only options for me is an Indoor range. Retention shooting is strictly forbidden.
I am also limited to a stall. So no xyz moving.
I would Imagine this is fairly common.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I think an armed citizen should be able to perform to the FBI Qual standard, doing so could be beneficial if one ever finds themselves explaining to a jury of their peers why they fired a weapon in self-defense.  But the standard seems like it is missing some important fundamentals that all people who have a weapon for self-defense should know.
I took the posted standards from the FBI qualification and added some important skills while keeping the same time and distance standards, and the exact same round count.
The FBI uses the QIT-99 target, but since I don’t have any of those I propose using the more common IDPA or USPSA cardboard silhouette.

Scoring: Shooters receive 1 point for every round that lands inside the -0, or -1 zones of an IDPA target or inside the A, B, or C zones of a USPSA target.  Shots that break the line count.  The course of fire is 60 rounds and shooters must shoot 80% (48 hits) or better to qualify.  54 hits scores 90%.
Equipment: Shooter will need their CCW handgun and one spare magazine concealed on their person, and at least 60 rounds of ammunition (actual carry ammo is preferred).  Scorekeeper will need a shot timer, or a suitable shot timer app on their mobile device.  One cardboard IDPA or IPSC target for each shooter/each iteration.  One barricade/simulated barricade.  Range should extend to at least 25 yards.  Personal Protective Equipment (eye pro, ear pro, etc.) for all participants.
For all stages, the shooter must start hands relaxed at their side and draw from concealment.
To adapt this COF for a defensive carbine, stages 1-3 should be shot at 10 yards, 4-5 at 15 yards, and 6-8 at 25 yards.  Weapon should be slung, on safe, and carried at relaxed ready.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Responsibly Armed Citizen Course of Fire:

Stage 1:  3 Yards  3 Seconds  6 rounds

Shooters start with weapon holstered in concealment (under jacket, etc), hands at sides.  At the beep, draw and fire three rounds from retention (both hands).  Repeat this string of fire, firing from retention while walking backwards.

Stage 2:  3 Yards  8 Seconds  6 rounds

Draw from concealment and fire three rounds from retention dominant hand only, pass the weapon to the support hand and fire three rounds from retention using your support hand only.

Stage 3:  5 Yards  3 Seconds  12 rounds

Draw, fire 3 rounds while moving laterally to your support side.
Draw, fire 3 rounds while moving laterally to your dominant side.

Draw, fire 3 rounds while moving backwards.

Draw, fire 3 rounds while moving either laterally or backwards, shooter’s choice.

Reload your weapon as necessary between strings to ensure that you have enough ammo to complete each string.  This stage does not test reload speed, so that should not be done on the clock.

Stage 4:  7 Yards  4 Seconds  8 rounds

Draw, fire 4 rounds while moving laterally to your dominant side.
Draw, fire 4 rounds while moving laterally to your support side.

Reload your weapon as necessary between strings.  (Good chance to practice off the clock tac reloads)
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Stage 5:  7 Yards  8 Seconds  8 rounds

Set your weapon so that there is one round in the chamber and the magazine is loaded with three rounds.  Have a spare magazine with at least four rounds loaded.  While moving forward from 15 yards, draw and fire four rounds which should take your weapon to slide lock.  Reload (don’t forget that the replacement magazine needs to be drawn from concealment as well) and fire four more rounds before you reach the 7 yard line.  Do not stop moving until all shooting and reloads are complete, do not cross the 7 yard line.  Total allowed time is 8 seconds.

Stage 6:  15 Yards  6 Seconds  6 rounds

Draw, drop to dominant side kneeling position, fire 3 rounds dominant side (one or both hands – shooter’s choice.)
Draw, pass your weapon to your support side, and drop to support side kneeling position, fire 3 rounds support side (one or both hands – shooter’s choice.)

Stage 7:  15 Yards  8 Seconds  4 rounds

Draw, give target a LOUD, CLEAR VERBAL COMMAND.  (This particular target will not comply with your command)  Engage target with 4 rounds.

Stage 8:  25 Yards  15 Seconds  10 rounds

Equipment Needs:  a barricade tall enough to kneel behind, or a simulated barricade with a target stand/cones/etc.
Start beside the barricade.  On the beep, move behind the barricade, draw, drop to a kneeling position and fire three rounds from dominant side around the barricade.  Transition and fire two more rounds from support side behind the barricade.  Complete the entire string in 15 seconds.  Repeat this string a second time for a total of 10 rounds.

Draw, fire 2 rounds from standing position, transition to a kneeling position and fire 3 more rounds.  Repeat this stage twice.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Since this COF is adapted from the FBI agent handgun qualification course it requires a concealed weapon on the shooter’s person.  However, the idea behind shooting this COF is a proving standard.  If your CCW method is off-body (purse carry, vehicle stowed, etc) you should also shoot an additional iteration from that method.  For instance if, in addition to CCW you also have a handgun on your nightstand you should use THAT WEAPON and repeat this COF simulating retrieving the weapon from a nightstand instead of drawing from a holster.  Maybe find an old nightstand at a garage sale for use at the range.

I intend to shoot the FBI qual as posted on LuckyGunner.com, and then shoot my version above.  The time standards look generous for the original FBI qual, so I left them exactly the same for my version which incorporates other fundamentals.
I hope you will give it a try, and maybe use it when coaching other shooters.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree that we should judge ourselves against some type of standards (this or something else), otherwise we will have no baseline to work from when setting training goals and working to improve ourselves.

Receiving quality instruction is key to not developing dangerous habits--bad footwork can get you killed, especially (reward) movement when focusing on a threat in the opposite direction of movement.

Stay safe!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top