Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 2:07:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CodeSection]
I have been considering the DP-12 for some time.  Could you share your experiences with using it?

What is the approximate weight of it when fully loaded with 16 rounds?  What are your likes and dislikes?

For those that are accustomed to a regular pump shotgun, do you still react after firing the first round by trying to pump the DP-12?  I realize it will not allow you to, but I read many have had problems "rewiring" their brain/training/procedures....

Knowing what you know now, would you buy it again?

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
My friend and I each bought one when the first came out.

We both bought a $70 250rd case of 00 buckshot, and fired it all at the range that day.

-Exceedingly easy to learn the pump -2xbang-pump again

-Heavy af, but mitigated by bullpup configuration which reduces mechanical leverage against the shoulder (the shorter the weapon the less heavy it feels.)

- Both our weapons were dangerously defective

Mine would accidentally fire both barrels at once, this happened 3x in 250rds

My buddies was terrifying, the sear released when he was cycling the gun, firing as soon as the round chambered. This only happened 1x time, but it put a 12gauge into concrete a few feet in front of us. We both shuddered as earlier in the day, he had cycled live rounds through it in his house to test the feeding reliability. I watched this happen and it was a legit 'gun went off' case due to design defect, not poor trigger discipline.

Now that said, these were some of the first DP12s off the factory floor from the very 1st gen, and I've never heard any reports similar to what we encountered that day.

If they've improved the design since then, could be worth looking into, as it was a solid design otherwise. Low recoil, short, tremendous capacity and firepower.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

We both bought a $70 250rd case of 00 buckshot, and fired it all at the range that day.

-Heavy af, but mitigated by bullpup configuration which reduces mechanical leverage against the shoulder (the shorter the weapon the less heavy it feels.)

My buddies was terrifying, the sear released when he was cycling the gun, firing as soon as the round chambered. This only happened 1x time, but it put a 12gauge into concrete a few feet in front of us. We both shuddered as earlier in the day, he had cycled live rounds through it in his house to test the feeding reliability. I watched this happen and it was a legit 'gun went off' case due to design defect, not poor trigger discipline.

Now that said, these were some of the first DP12s off the factory floor from the very 1st gen, and I've never heard any reports similar to what we encountered that day.

If they've improved the design since then, could be worth looking into, as it was a solid design otherwise. Low recoil, short, tremendous capacity and firepower.

View Quote

Thank you for sharing yours and your buddy's experiences.  Those instances are troubling.  I guess I need to do more research.  Again, thank you for bringing these issues to my attention!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CodeSection:

Thank you for sharing yours and your buddy's experiences.  Those instances are troubling.  I guess I need to do more research.  Again, thank you for bringing these issues to my attention!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CodeSection:

Happy to help.

Just to reiterate, these were really some of the first guns they shipped, and neither of us ever hear about anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Ours were likely from the same batch as we bough them from the same store on the same day, like the day or week they first shipped.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CodeSection] [#4]

Happy to help.

Just to reiterate, these were really some of the first guns they shipped, and neither of us ever hear about anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Ours were likely from the same batch as we bough them from the same store on the same day, like the day or week they first shipped.
View Quote

I am so glad you posted your experiences.  After further research, I found a pattern of issues.  Training seemed to address how to effectively operate the DP-12.  However, SM has been plagued with complaints like issues involving light primer strikes since the very beginning and up to last week.  When I reviewed their Better Business Bureau rating (D-) along with the long history of complaints recorded, I decided not to pursue buying a DP-12.

Thank you for alerting me to your malfunctions!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top