Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2018 12:44:21 PM EDT
I've taken several pistol courses before but will be going through my first 2 day carbine course next month.

I planned on using a BCM 14.5" middy with either MRO or EXPS3. But I got to thinking, what about my 16" Stealth with 1-6x variable? It's a little heavy but has been my go to lately. I also have a MK18 SBR but figured it may be too gassy for an all day course

How often do you see 16" LPV optic rifles in carbine courses? Is it frowned upon?
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the range of the course. Under 100m , no reason for that optic. Maybe if you had some canted irons though...
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The classes I’ve taken have all been at ranges of 100 meters or less. I’d lean towards a setup with a red dot unless you’re comfortable dialing up/down on the move. Cheers
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#3]
Take what you’ll actually use for HD/SD. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 10.5” with irons or a 20” with a scope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Take both.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Take both.

I was at one of Steve Fischers class last summer and he taught the class with a LPVO. Others in the class ran them as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
Take what you’ll actually use for HD/SD. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 10.5” with irons or a 20” with a scope.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shooter_556:
Take both.

I was at one of Steve Fischers class last summer and he taught the class with a LPVO. Others in the class ran them as well.
View Quote
Fisher replaced all his red dots.  Not surprising
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
SBR
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
@alpha0815

What'd you choose and how'd it go? What course?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#10]
I went with the trusty ole BCM 14.5" middy (BFH), CMC 4lb trigger, Larue sling, MRO / Larue combo.

It performed flawlessly and shot the best 25 and 50 yard zero confirmation in the class of 17, from what I could see. Even had a guy with an ACOG and another with a NF lpv scope.

It was with VATA of Slidell, LA. Greg Lapin and his instructors were excellent and I learned more about the AR platform in a weekend than I have over the past 5 years. I'd taken some pistol courses before but this was first carbine course.

Edit:  I did have the 16" Stealth w/ 1-6x as a backup but didn't need it. From what I remember, there were either 2 or 3 students that had rifles go down before the end of the first day training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top