Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 6:23:01 PM EDT
Should almost be titled, can you outshoot an airsofter ?

Can Airsoft Translate to Real Firearm Skill?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#1]
The only true answer is if an airsofter can equally perform the skills with incoming live fire.

The potential of fatal wounds from incoming fire dramatically impacts performance that might have been seen on a square range.

The hazard of hot brass down a shirt does not cause an adrenal induced "fight or flight" response and subsequent reduction of fine motor skills.

I will concede airsoft skills may very well be beneficial to 3 gun etc competitive shooting!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
The only true answer is if an airsofter can equally perform the skills with incoming live fire.

The potential of fatal wounds from incoming fire dramatically impacts performance that might have been seen on a square range.

The hazard of hot brass down a shirt does not cause an adrenal induced "fight or flight" response and subsequent reduction of fine motor skills.

I will concede airsoft skills may very well be beneficial to 3 gun etc competitive shooting!
View Quote
How much incoming live fire training does our military do? Regular Infantry? How about the SEALs, Rangers, Green Beret, etc?
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Would love to take a couple of those Japanese airsofters and bring them over here for some testing on real world transfer of skills to firearms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably doesn't compare to this.

INSANE Russian Counter Terror Confidence Drill
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vengarr] [#5]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
Would love to take a couple of those Japanese airsofters and bring them over here for some testing on real world transfer of skills to firearms.
View Quote
Few years back, it was done. A Japanese airsoft guy practiced at home with his toy gun. Came here, borrowed a gun and won a steel challenge I think.
15 years back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Doppleganger871:
Probably doesn't compare to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI01qKAqYts
View Quote
That is just nuts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if that can be made as a fair comparison considering probably 95% of the community has not had that training. I think the point is made on its own here though. He hasn't ever even held a real gun until that day and he had the procedures down and major muscle memory set for them. Just look at his draws and holstering, he doesn't even look and he is straight in and out virtually every time, and that's not his gear. Some people may think that a small thing but from my experience that shows me a ton. The military use repetition for that type of automatic response when under stress until advanced training with specialty groups. I think he could jump right to that advanced training and fit in if not still be slightly ahead of those starting with him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top