Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2021 10:44:26 AM EDT
I’m building a range for a buddy and I to train on. A lot of what we do is shooting and moving and transition drills. The calibers we will be using are .22, 9mm, 40cal,12ga, 556, and 308. I’ve got close to 50 acres to build on but I’m surrounded on all sides by houses so skipping a round can’t happen. I’ve watched some YouTube videos on making a tire wall but I’ve read that you can bounce a round back. If I were running just 556 or 308 I wouldn’t care but with the 22 conversion kit in our ARs I see it bouncing back. I’ve also seen hesco barriers being used and considered making my own. Any thoughts or recommendations? I watched tactical rifleman video on there range build and it seems legit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#1]
It's possible to build a range anywhere, it depends on how much you want to spend.  NRA has a range manual for sale on how to build a range.

Double or triple stacked Hesco barriers on all sides with a tall dirt backstop would work, depending on the range you want to shoot.  Since the nearest homes are probably within the maximum range of your guns, you'll also need overhead baffles to stop any shots from going over your backstop.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZippZ:
It's possible to build a range anywhere, it depends on how much you want to spend.  NRA has a range manual for sale on how to build a range.

Double or triple stacked Hesco barriers on all sides with a tall dirt backstop would work, depending on the range you want to shoot.  Since the nearest homes are probably within the maximum range of your guns, you'll also need overhead baffles to stop any shots from going over your backstop.
View Quote

I haven’t looked into overhead baffles. I’ve got ample amounts of 1” thick rubber conveyor belt material. Will have to do some experimenting with how many thick to make it but I’m sure it can knock it down. Some how hang it hot dog style long ways and let the bottom dangle. Just above dirt back stop. Thanks zippz
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The DOE has a helpful guide to range design

25 yard bays are common and I would say a bare minimum.  Use a dirt berm backstop, and dirt or tire berms on each side.  A 100 yard bay would be better as you can run a wide variety of drills with a 100 yard bay.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:
The DOE has a helpful guide to range design

25 yard bays are common and I would say a bare minimum.  Use a dirt berm backstop, and dirt or tire berms on each side.  A 100 yard bay would be better as you can run a wide variety of drills with a 100 yard bay.
View Quote

I will more than likely add on to reach at least 50 yards. I’ve found a location to excavate into the side of a decent slope of a hill. I’ll get the backhoe on it soon and post pics of progress. If I’m able to dig enough off the front and push enough out in the middle I’ll add to the side like you mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some pics with progress. Shooting for at least 50yrd bay and will be removing all the dirt in front of where I scraped away and made the wall go straight down
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking forward to seeing your progress. What are you going to have in the bottom? Gravel or grass or something else?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If money wasn’t a factor I would gray rock the whole thing. It would take close to 3 loads to cover the whole thing, and at $600 a load that gets expensive. Going to throw some rye grass out for now to get something down so it doesn’t get too muddy in the coming wet season.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks awesome Z3ff3r !!
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Grass in. Pull up bar and dip rack up
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top